Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 04:51 AM   #1

new gr iii owner wondering about firmware

hi
I owned previously a gr ii, and regretted selling it. so i just got a gr iii, and happy with the quality (of stills).
the added features are also nice, but i am wondering, as others have pointed out it isnt a perfect camera...
does anyone have an educated guess as to the ricoh continued support for firmware improvements?
i mean based on their past behavior in this regard obviously.
would be nice to improve some stuff via firmware.
cheers.

07-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doro Quote
hi
I owned previously a gr ii, and regretted selling it. so i just got a gr iii, and happy with the quality (of stills).
the added features are also nice, but i am wondering, as others have pointed out it isnt a perfect camera...
does anyone have an educated guess as to the ricoh continued support for firmware improvements?
cheers.
Doro, Just out of interest, why do you think it's not perfect (battery life apart)? I moved from GR i to iii and feel the changes have got it pretty close to being perfect. I haven't bothered to update the firmware. You've reminded me to check it out ...
07-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ricoh continued support for firmware improvements?
Are you meaning new features?

The change record for the current firmware version might provide a clue as might your experience with the GRII...

Latest GR III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Steve
07-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a GRIII, and I keep it updated to the latest firmware, as I do with all my Ricoh/Pentax gear. It's a great camera, and it has travelled all over the place with me.
Ricoh tends to provided updates when there are problems, or when there is a significant new bit of functionality they want to deliver.
They don't do updates to put out minor features; most of their product stays fairly static once it works 100%.
I've had ZERO issues by staying current.
Is there anything specific you're looking for? Something you can't do with the camera?

07-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well there several hardware flaws that obviously won't be improved with firmware , but things like battery life and heating could potentially be improved with firmware, plus things like customization of 4 way button wheel , and other added functionalities I read in other forums.
(i am sure AF could be improved in firmwares, and some other nice presets added).

Last edited by Doro; 07-26-2021 at 11:19 PM.
07-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Doro, Just out of interest, why do you think it's not perfect (battery life apart)? I moved from GR i to iii and feel the changes have got it pretty close to being perfect. I haven't bothered to update the firmware. You've reminded me to check it out ...
mainly hardware stuff, but read lots of firmware suggestions on dpreview.
hardware: battery life, a bit of heating (not too bad on mine), flimsy 4-way button wheel. non articulating screen (they could implement that with hardly increasing weight or size). evf would probably increase size and cost quite a bit...

p.s. do update your firmware if it isnt 1.41. AF is pretty good, touch snap focus is neat, and presets they added are also well implemented.
07-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #7

I vote to include custom fn settings for MACRO and WB buttons.