Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2021, 07:23 AM - 14 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Glasgow City Murals

I spent the last week in Glasgow with my GRIII. I was born in Glasgow but I left over 40 years ago and this was my first trip back there. Obviously there have been lots of changes but one nice thing is the recent trend to paint colourful murals on the sides of buildings and other empty wall spaces. They certainly brighten up a gritty city and I enjoyed finding them and photographing them with the mighty GRIII. I think I've got over 30 murals but here is my personal top ten:-

Saint Mungo.

Bubbles.

Bubbles 2

St Enoch and child.

The worlds most economical taxi.

Honey I shrunk the kids.

Study of a woman in black.

Strathclyde University.

Clutha Pub.

Dr Connolly I presume.

09-05-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Those murals are extraordinary, and you've captured them very well indeed. The GRIII is a fine tool, eh?
09-05-2021, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That must have been an interesting revisit, it’s about 40 years since I last lived there. Number one son starts uni there shortly so I ought to have a closer look than driving through as usual. I won’t be especially looking for one of these venues though, I wonder if you can think which one?
09-05-2021, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are really outstanding murals and all beautifully captured by your GRIII. I can imagine that they brighten up the city. Nice projects and nice captures.

09-05-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

These street paintings are amazing, made by true artists ! Thanks for taking the time to make this little reportage for us, you captured them well
09-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glaswegians have a better sense of public art than here in my hometown. We've had a mural project here for nearly 50 years, but few decent ones were ever produced, and now it's the ubiquitous ghetto aesthetic graffiti. Kudos to Glasgow.

In the middle '90's I got a British Arts Council grant to visit Belfast with a group of other American arts professionals (I was a Program Director of an alternative space at the time), and saw some great murals in the Catholic areas of the city, and some deeply scary and disturbing ones in the Protestant sections.
09-05-2021, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was back in Glasgow in 2018 after an absence of too many years. The murals are wonderful and you have caught them very well. The scene on the rear facade of the City Halls is one of my favourites. Back in the 80's I lived in Woodside near Charing Cross and there were some murals being installed even then, one across the road from our flat. I have a few images here from then and our 2018 visit -
Wall murals Photo Gallery by Steve Flynn at pbase.com

09-05-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
That must have been an interesting revisit, it’s about 40 years since I last lived there. Number one son starts uni there shortly so I ought to have a closer look than driving through as usual. I won’t be especially looking for one of these venues though, I wonder if you can think which one?
I guess you mean the Clutha? Obviously the damage has been repaired. I know it was a terrible accident but life has to go on. I really enjoyed my return to Glasgow after all these years. It has changed and for the better. I got a lot of things out of my system and I'll probably never go back there but we will certainly be visiting the Firth of Clyde/Bute area for a holiday. When you are a teenager, you don't appreciate the beauty of the area.

---------- Post added 09-05-21 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Those are really outstanding murals and all beautifully captured by your GRIII. I can imagine that they brighten up the city. Nice projects and nice captures.
Thank you. I've only posted 10 photos here but I've put more of them on my personal website Glasgow Murals
09-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I guess you mean the Clutha? Obviously the damage has been repaired. I know it was a terrible accident but life has to go on.
No, not the Clutha Bar, but I expect the place I'm thinking of serves its share of booze as well. Unsurprisingly, it's not shown on the map of the mural trail (Mural Trail : Home Page) even though I can see it in your photo.
09-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job. That was very much enjoyed. Amazing talent on display!
09-06-2021, 03:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, not the Clutha Bar, but I expect the place I'm thinking of serves its share of booze as well. Unsurprisingly, it's not shown on the map of the mural trail (Mural Trail : Home Page) even though I can see it in your photo.
Oh right.... you must mean Strathclyde uni then.
09-06-2021, 04:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Oh right.... you must mean Strathclyde uni then.
Ha ha ha! No, not that either, though I remember their student union reckoned one of Scotland’s largest beer outlets back in the day.
09-06-2021, 05:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha ha ha! No, not that either, though I remember their student union reckoned one of Scotland’s largest beer outlets back in the day.
Well I'm confused then. All the murals I photographed are listed on the Mural Trail website.
09-06-2021, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #14

If you get chance I highly recommend Deritend and the Custard factory area of Birmingham for quality street/graffiti art - perhaps my fav artist has to be insanely talented Justin Sola

Last edited by Sunburn; 09-06-2021 at 06:52 AM.
09-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, they are very nice.