Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The difference in field of view between 28 and 40mm equivalent is very significant.

I'm not a wide-angle guy (well, not often), so the GRIII's 18.3mm lens wouldn't have a great deal of utility for me... but 28mm is one of my favourite and most-used focal lengths on APS-C. I think I'd have a ball with this new GRIIIx.
+1 Wholeheartedly agree. I recall posting on another GRiii wish list thread a while back, that this camera with a 40mm equivalent lens would be hugely attractive to me. This is my favourite focal length in 35mm. I've been shooting a Rollei 35SE compact since the early '80s, and it is my most-used camera just because of the focal length. It just feels natural and "right". In fact, many years after I started using the Rollei I read that Leica or Zeiss (can't remember which) did a study in the 1940s or '50s which showed them that 40mm matched the natural field of view of the human eye, and therefore should be used as a normal lens focal length. Somehow the world ended up with 50mm as normal, but I still greatly prefer 40mm, so I guess I now know why

This GRiiix might supplant much of my dslr gear. I probably would use this camera more than any other digital that I own. I've long been interested in the standard GRiii, but that 28mm lens was off-putting...too limiting, too wide for my type of shooting. But this new one...wonderful evolution of this camera!

09-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Different..... yes, but not hugely different IMHO
Then we agree to differ in our (humble) opinions.

Steve
09-09-2021, 12:34 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by thegeaba Quote
* A firmware upgrade for the RICOH GR III will be provided soon. GR III users are advised to update the camera's firmware to use these tools.

so,we all get new firmware?

I think so. this was also my first question yesterday

the platform is the same, so I believe all the SW changes will apply to 28mm and 40mm equivalent models.

Lintaro mentioned the new sw functionalities in the following video, those changes are not lens-related IMO.

https://youtu.be/FHKrJRlGy1Q?t=196
09-09-2021, 01:22 AM   #19
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

i prefer a mirrorless gr IIIX

09-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
i prefer a mirrorless gr IIIX
It is mirrorless Do you, perhaps, mean you'd prefer a GRIIIx with interchangeable lenses?
09-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Somehow the world ended up with 50mm as normal. . .
That seems to be because Leica started with a 50mm, and everyone else copied from there.

However. . . Outside of interchangeable-lens 135 format rangefinders and SLRs, it seems like much of the photography world regarded 40mm (or equivalent) as the commonplace normal lens. I mean for example, Olympus made ten million Trip 35 cameras with 40mm lens.
09-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #22
Forum Member

the best thing, imo ,is that they didn,t killed the regular GRIII

09-10-2021, 01:34 AM   #23
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It is mirrorless Do you, perhaps, mean you'd prefer a GRIIIx with interchangeable lenses?
een mirrorless a la de pentax Q
09-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
een mirrorless a la de pentax Q
Right. Both the GR series and Q series are mirrorless (they're not SLRs, so there's no reflex mirror)... but the Q has interchangeable lenses
09-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #25
Pentaxian

There's a chinese video out.

It seems like a good idea to give one of the first preview models to a young Chinese woman. Shows the versatility of the GR line beyond the trad street niche.
09-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can anyone recall how long Ricoh took to offer GRiii Editions/Bundles? I'm thinking maybe a GRiiix Street Edition for Christmas?
09-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Can anyone recall how long Ricoh took to offer GRiii Editions/Bundles? I'm thinking maybe a GRiiix Street Edition for Christmas?
That's very nice of you. Do you want my address so you know where to send it?
10-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh GR IIIx First Shots: Longer lens, same compact size and 24MP APS-C sensor. See our sample images!
11-07-2021, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
+1 Wholeheartedly agree. I recall posting on another GRiii wish list thread a while back, that this camera with a 40mm equivalent lens would be hugely attractive to me. This is my favourite focal length in 35mm. I've been shooting a Rollei 35SE compact since the early '80s, and it is my most-used camera just because of the focal length. It just feels natural and "right". In fact, many years after I started using the Rollei I read that Leica or Zeiss (can't remember which) did a study in the 1940s or '50s which showed them that 40mm matched the natural field of view of the human eye, and therefore should be used as a normal lens focal length. Somehow the world ended up with 50mm as normal, but I still greatly prefer 40mm, so I guess I now know why

This GRiiix might supplant much of my dslr gear. I probably would use this camera more than any other digital that I own. I've long been interested in the standard GRiii, but that 28mm lens was off-putting...too limiting, too wide for my type of shooting. But this new one...wonderful evolution of this camera!
I had a Rollei 35SE and 38mm-40mm was what many compact film cameras had back in the day. 38mm is the diagonal of a 24mm x 36mm film frame and was considered 'normal'.

The Online Photographer: Why 40mm?

I just bought the GRiiix and the lens, IMHO, is as good as the Ricoh 28, I have a GRiii too. I don't want to think about how many shots I missed in the past 'cause my camera was at home.

The GRiii has crop setting for 35mm and 50mm. The GRiiix crops to 50 and 71mm.

So, this is my 40mm digital Rollei 35SE with IBIS. It's a keeper. Check this out: https://ricohrecipes.com/

I bought it direct from Ricoh and there is a 30 day return window. Same return policy for Ricoh EU.
11-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Les-L Quote
I had a Rollei 35SE and 38mm-40mm was what many compact film cameras had back in the day. 38mm is the diagonal of a 24mm x 36mm film frame and was considered 'normal'.

The Online Photographer: Why 40mm?

I just bought the GRiiix and the lens, IMHO, is as good as the Ricoh 28, I have a GRiii too. I don't want to think about how many shots I missed in the past 'cause my camera was at home.

The GRiii has crop setting for 35mm and 50mm. The GRiiix crops to 50 and 71mm.

So, this is my 40mm digital Rollei 35SE with IBIS. It's a keeper. Check this out: https://ricohrecipes.com/

I bought it direct from Ricoh and there is a 30 day return window. Same return policy for Ricoh EU.

Good one! Thanks for sharing your experience with this camera. The more I read about it the more interested I am. Could it actually replace my Rollei 35?...maybe.... My present digital compact is a Canon G1X (first version), which is a terrific camera, but the lens is slow and the dynamic range is poor. The Ricoh is probably leagues better in this regard. And, as said, I could happily live with just a 40mm lens and forgo the zoom.

And I could really see the GIIIx supplanting my dslr. I would use it a lot, without a doubt.

As an aside, one thing I really need to get proficient at is b&w conversions of digital images. I really suck at those. They look like, well, digital images...no tonal depth, richness...very sterile looking. Probably just my lack of experience and skill, but it would be nice to get good at it.

I've bookmarked the Ricoh Recipes page -- great stuff there. Thanks for posting that.

Enjoy the new camera!