Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2021, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Griii x

RICOH GR IIIx:A high-end digital compact camera, featuring a newly developed GR lens for high-quality street photography at a standard viewing angle?RICOH IMAGING

New, or am I missing something?

09-08-2021, 12:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It is new! Too bad for the sensor size though...
09-08-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Definitely new and very interesting. I guess they must have read my previous post here on PF New GRIII variant (wishing) - PentaxForums.com Looks like a standard GRIII with a 40mm lens.

I'm not sure that as an existing GRIII owner, I'd buy the GRIIIx because the 40mm lens is too close to the original 28mm but I wouldn't rule it out.

---------- Post added 09-08-21 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Not sure I understand what you mean about the sensor? I love the sensor on the GRIII.
09-08-2021, 02:50 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
For the dimensions of the camera, APS-C is a BIG sensor. Try fitting a 35mm "full frame" sensor in that same body - along with all the associated electronics - and get back to us?

09-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This must be the worst product launch ever.... Just putting up a news item on the site. (Ow and they sent copies to Kai and Lok)

09-08-2021, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
This must be the worst product launch ever.... Just putting up a news item on the site. (Ow and they sent copies to Kai and Lok)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_TFBDr1WM
That's because Ricoh is not like Fujifilm. I watched the Kai video early this morning; generally supportive. Nothing yet on DPR, Petapixel, fstoppers . . .
09-08-2021, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I'm not sure that as an existing GRIII owner, I'd buy the GRIIIx because the 40mm lens is too close to the original 28mm but I wouldn't rule it out
The difference in field of view between 28 and 40mm equivalent is very significant.

I'm not a wide-angle guy (well, not often), so the GRIII's 18.3mm lens wouldn't have a great deal of utility for me... but 28mm is one of my favourite and most-used focal lengths on APS-C. I think I'd have a ball with this new GRIIIx.

I have enough cameras and lenses, though. Of course, I could always enjoy one more, but justifying the expense is another matter entirely

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-08-2021 at 07:28 AM.
09-08-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_TFBDr1WM
Surprising choice indeed. It could be a good idea though. Not that you get any info about the camera from them but they have reach I imagine. Lack of info could build curiosity.

There's also a live talk. Japanese only.
09-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The difference in field of view between 28 and 40mm equivalent is very significant.
I concur. Anyone who has shot a 28mm lens (42mm equivalent) on APS-C will tell you that the view is not really very wide and much more focused than 28mm equivalent.

Steve
09-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good move by Ricoh. Relatively low cost R+D, new lens formula on an existing high margin platform.
It will be more of a niche product than the regular GR III, but exploiting niches is where the market is heading.
The marketing rollout is completely botched, but hey it's Ricoh. Nevertheless, this will sell to those in the know anyway.
09-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

I'm not a wide-angle guy (well, not often), so the GRIII's 18.3mm lens wouldn't have a great deal of utility for me... but 28mm is one of my favourite and most-used focal lengths on APS-C. I think I'd have a ball with this new GRIIIx.

I have enough cameras and lenses, though. Of course, I could always enjoy one more, but justifying the expense is another matter entirely
I often find myself cropping my GRIII images, sometimes quite heavily ~ that's one of this things I love about having good quality files to start with. Though 40mm equiv. would make a lot of sense to me, I'd rather crop and have the versatility when I get caught out.

A GRIII Y though... 60mm equiv. 2.8, crop-able to 90mm equiv, if not further...
09-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the announcement isn't newsy enough for their U.S. News webpage: News - Ricoh . . . yet the camera is featured on their main UK webpage: UK Website Store.
09-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #13
Forum Member

* A firmware upgrade for the RICOH GR III will be provided soon. GR III users are advised to update the camera's firmware to use these tools.

so,we all get new firmware?
09-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I concur. Anyone who has shot a 28mm lens (42mm equivalent) on APS-C will tell you that the view is not really very wide and much more focused than 28mm equivalent.

Steve
Different..... yes, but not hugely different IMHO. The GRIII can already shoot at 35mm and 50mm, effectively a crop with loss of megapixels.

I think we all have to wait and see how good the lens is. The GRIII lens is wicked. If the GRIIIx lens is as good then Ricoh are on to a winner. If the GRIIIx had a 50mm equiv lens then I'd probably buy one tomorrow, ditch my FF DSLR and just carry a pair of GRIII's with me. I've got tons of money tied up in Canon DSLR gear but I'm tired of carrying it about with me. The GRIII has been a game changer for me. Almost (but not quite) FF performance that fits in your pocket and delivers great images.
09-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Different..... yes, but not hugely different IMHO.
The difference in field of view between the GRIII and GRIIIx will be very similar to the difference in shooting a 28mm lens on a full frame K-1 and an APS-C K-3. Most folks would consider that a big change in field of view... but I guess it's subjective.