Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh GRiii and Dust on Sensor

Ricoh GRii was known of dusty sensor problem. How is GRiii in this regard? I know that there are dust removal feature on GRiii, but from my experience with DSLR it is not always effective. Is there are services available for cleaning? If ,yes, how expensive?

Last edited by jumbleview; 09-15-2021 at 02:54 PM.
09-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had my GR for over six years. It's my most used and most travelled camera. No dust problems. However I've never pocketed it. When not taking photos it's always carried in a Lowepro point and shoot case. Looking forward to getting the GRIIIx. I think the GR is going to last for another few years.
09-15-2021, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
gbl
Forum Member

No problem here. Don't worry about it and buy the camera.
4 Hours Ago - 1 Like   #4

FWIW, I have the GR with leather case, it eventually got a dust speck that was visible in my photos at higher apertures. Although not for the faint of heart, I ended up taking it apart and cleaning out the sensor, good as new. I've had the camera since 2013 and this happened last year, so it was dust free for 7 years.

1 Hour Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamm20 Quote
FWIW, I have the GR with leather case, it eventually got a dust speck that was visible in my photos at higher apertures. Although not for the faint of heart, I ended up taking it apart and cleaning out the sensor, good as new. I've had the camera since 2013 and this happened last year, so it was dust free for 7 years.
For taking it apart what tools did you need? Just screwdrivers, or you needed solder iron as well?
48 Minutes Ago   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
For taking it apart what tools did you need? Just screwdrivers, or you needed solder iron as well?
No soldering iron neccessary. Just a Philips (cross-head) screwdriver. I followed the guide from the link below https://jamiecollinson.com/blog/disassembling-ricoh-gr-for-sensor-cleaning/

I just took my time and did everything carefully, making sure to label & photograph screws and how things were laid out before moving on. Not sure how the GRII or GRIII is laid out but I'm assuming it would be similar. Since my camera was way beyond the warranty period, I decided it was worth the risk to do it myself and if it didn't work out that gave me a reason to upgrade to a GRIII