Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2021, 09:16 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh GR IIIx Review

Hey everyone

I hope you are all doing well

I just thought I'd share my review of the Ricoh GR IIIx. I've had the camera on hand for a few weeks now and have enjoyed my time with it. It will be a shame to send it back. Let me know if you have any questions.

Review

All the best,
Brett Day

Last edited by brettday; 10-12-2021 at 05:05 AM.
10-12-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very helpful hands-on review of a cool addition to the GR line-up. Thanks for sharing it here, Brett.
10-12-2021, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Very helpful hands-on review of a cool addition to the GR line-up. Thanks for sharing it here, Brett.
No problem at all. Thanks so much for taking the time to read the review and respond here. I appreciate it a lot.

All the best,
Brett
10-19-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

A couple of differences between the 3 and 3X

Thanks for the nice review of the GR iii x.

If it is helpful I discovered some additional differences with the GRiii

1. The histogram is now always visible on the 3X. On the 3 only visible with half press of the shutter
2. UHS ii cards do not work, at least not the Sony Tough series. They're supposed to be backward compatible but the 3X doesn't like them, at least not the Sony.
3. I suppose it is obvious, but just in case it's not, the snap mode is far less useful because of the narrower depth of field. At anything below an aperture of f8 there is a high chance of out of focus images

Otherwise a wonderful and competent little camera and a great addition to the 28mm equivalent GRiii

10-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote

2. UHS ii cards do not work, at least not the Sony Tough series. They're supposed to be backward compatible but the 3X doesn't like them, at least not the Sony.

same as GR3,does not support UHS-II cards:

Storage types Internal, SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I supported)
10-20-2021, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. The histogram is now always visible on the 3X. On the 3 only visible with half press of the shutter
3. I suppose it is obvious, but just in case it's not, the snap mode is far less useful because of the narrower depth of field. At anything below an aperture of f8 there is a high chance of out of focus images

Otherwise a wonderful and competent little camera and a great addition to the 28mm equivalent GRiii
"Far less useful" snap focus is an exaggeration. This is a 26mm lens, if you can't zone focus with that lens then you're doing it wrong. Even with the crop it should not prove that difficult.
10-20-2021, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
"Far less useful" snap focus is an exaggeration. This is a 26mm lens, if you can't zone focus with that lens then you're doing it wrong. Even with the crop it should not prove that difficult.
I'm sure you're right and I'm also sure that I do many things wrong even if things are not that difficult despite 50 years experience but why the aggression? There's rarely an excuse for bad manners, especially when someone is reporting something which is factual or are you not aware of the depth of field reduction when a longer focal length is used? If you want to visualise it, put the 2 cameras side by side, set to snap focus and look at the very handy depth of field scale displayed on the screen of both cameras. The difference is considerable and material, especially when the subjects are moving. They could step in or out of the zone very easily.

I stand by what I wrote: Snap focus on the 3X is far less useful than with the GR iii. Whereas on the latter snap focus might have been one of the overriding reasons why one might have purchased the camera this should not, in my opinion, be a consideration when considering the purchase of the GRiii X. Maybe that is clearer?

10-21-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The usefulness of snap focus and single handed controls with a 40mm equiv lens is something I've been wondering/sceptical about since I first hear about the new lens. I personally can't imagine that you could get the fluidity of the 28 with a 40 fov. Still probably a great camera but with a 28 equiv lens its just a magic package.
10-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure you're right and I'm also sure that I do many things wrong even if things are not that difficult despite 50 years experience but why the aggression? There's rarely an excuse for bad manners, especially when someone is reporting something which is factual or are you not aware of the depth of field reduction when a longer focal length is used? If you want to visualise it, put the 2 cameras side by side, set to snap focus and look at the very handy depth of field scale displayed on the screen of both cameras. The difference is considerable and material, especially when the subjects are moving. They could step in or out of the zone very easily.

I stand by what I wrote: Snap focus on the 3X is far less useful than with the GR iii. Whereas on the latter snap focus might have been one of the overriding reasons why one might have purchased the camera this should not, in my opinion, be a consideration when considering the purchase of the GRiii X. Maybe that is clearer?
Listen, I shoot zone focus with full frame film 35mm and 40mm lenses all the time. You would need a bit more carefully honed skills to zone focus the GRIIIx, but to say it's suddenly not a selling point to have snap focus on a 26mm APS-C format lens is invalidating decades of zone focusing tradition with lenses of similar focal lengths. Maybe that is clearer?
10-21-2021, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have to admit that when shooting street photography on my Pentax film bodies with my K35 and M50 classic lenses. I don't have any issues when zone focusing with those lenses. Obviously using a 28mm equivalent lens gives you a bit more latitude, making the process more "pointy and shooty" but using a 40mm equivalent lens just means a little more thought by the user.
10-21-2021, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
using a 40mm equivalent lens just means a little more thought by the user.
Yep thats it you need a little more thought.

The GR28 you can shoot with no thought in a pretty unique way. For me that combined with the IQ is the killer feature. I have other cameras I spend 10 minutes framing with. I love the GR for its radical departure from this and how it thanks to the carelessness it enables brings me lots of keepers.
07-24-2022, 12:35 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Hey everyone

I hope you are all doing well

I just thought I'd share my review of the Ricoh GR IIIx. I've had the camera on hand for a few weeks now and have enjoyed my time with it. It will be a shame to send it back. Let me know if you have any questions.

Review

All the best,
Brett Day
Late reply - but that was really a great review..
10-20-2022, 05:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great review, Thank you.
02-26-2023, 05:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Is there AF by finger touching?
04-30-2023, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
Is there AF by finger touching?
You can AF by touching the screen even while you are in snap focus mode so yes.