Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2021, 09:12 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ricoh GXR with Pentax Auto 110 Lenses... Just for kicks!

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well.

I thought you may get a kick out of one of my recent toys I've been playing with. I have the GXR's A12 Leica M module and realized the Leica M mount is very close (-0.8mm off) from flange distance of Auto 110 lenses. So I made a little 3D printed adapter and threw some of my lenses on. I have every Auto 110 lenses except the 18mm pan focused and 20-40mm (I had the 20-40 and sold it, I didn't like it too much as an adaptive lens).

I still can't get infinity focus working, this requires the lens to be inside the mount just a tad which is difficult to get the measurements correct to work with all the different sized lenses. But I am getting closer with each new prototype. I just don't have a lot of time to work on it

Here are some of the results:

Ricoh GXR Leica M A12 Module + Pentax Auto 110 18mm

Ricoh GXR Leica M A12 Module + Pentax Auto 110 24mm

Ricoh GXR Leica M A12 Module + Pentax Auto 110 70mm

All straight from camera JPEGs using JPEG profiles. Not because I'm saying that's always better, because I'm lazy Plus it's nice to see what you get out of the camera to work with.

12-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Excellent work!

I sold my GXR+A12 recently so I can't copy you :P
12-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love this
12-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What fun! I am a fan of using less-than-current tech and your project confirms I am in good company.

Steve

12-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Excellent work!

I sold my GXR+A12 recently so I can't copy you :P
Did you sell it on eBay? To me?

Itís a fun setup. I use the Auto 110 lenses extensively on m43 bodies with great results, but this is fun because it combined my love for GR controls with these cool lenses.

Now I need a native M mount lens to try. Right now I have a K mount adapter for my Pentax glass, but it adds some extra bulk.
12-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great photos!! It must be a nice process, bringing the stuff to a good level. Of course infinity wouldnít be my problem with all the lenses...
12-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That is awesome, those lenses really pack a punch.

12-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Did you sell it on eBay? To me?

Itís a fun setup. I use the Auto 110 lenses extensively on m43 bodies with great results, but this is fun because it combined my love for GR controls with these cool lenses.

Now I need a native M mount lens to try. Right now I have a K mount adapter for my Pentax glass, but it adds some extra bulk.
Maybe not as I'm based in Europe :P

I've always wanted to try adapted 110 lenses though, they look superb.
12-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Maybe not as I'm based in Europe :P

I've always wanted to try adapted 110 lenses though, they look superb.
Probably the best and cheapest way would be to use a cheap M4/3 body. Thereís a few from Olympus at or under $100USD and the lenses adapt really well to them. Itís a fun project if you ever want to experiment with them. I use an Olympus EP2 I bought for $60 and itís loads of fun with the Auto 110 lenses. If I was local to you Iíd let you just try and play with them. Theyíre so tiny!
12-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Probably the best and cheapest way would be to use a cheap M4/3 body. Thereís a few from Olympus at or under $100USD and the lenses adapt really well to them. Itís a fun project if you ever want to experiment with them. I use an Olympus EP2 I bought for $60 and itís loads of fun with the Auto 110 lenses. If I was local to you Iíd let you just try and play with them. Theyíre so tiny!
Seconding this. I have all of the Pentax 110 lenses. While I wouldn't call them "superb," they are all É/2.8 and have SMC on them, so they aren't bad. An Olympus EP or ELP camera and 110 adapter won't cost much, and these are fun lenses. One note: since they have no aperture, you'll stay at É/2.8, so pick up a polarizing or ND filter for sunny day shooting. The bokeh is perfectly round, no big surprise since there are no aperture blades to sculpt it. Absolutely zero starburst/sunstar options with these.
04-07-2022, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone cares, but figured I would report back that I got infinity focus working and published my 3D model so you can print yourself: Leica M to Pentax Auto 110 Lens Adapter For Ricoh GXR A12 M Module by snapppy - Thingiverse

It only works with the smaller 18mm and 24mm lenses because the others are too fat at the base to fit into the recess I made. At least with the GXR M mount module, there are some parts of the mount on the inside that are more narrow than the mount itself, so I couldn't make it larger.

Maybe one of you or someone browsing through the internet one day will stumble on this and find it a fun experiment like I have