Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh GR: what strap do you use?

I'm looking for a traditional two-point shoulder strap that will fit my GR ll. The lugs on the body are so small that it's hard to insert anything through them. I know straps aren't cool anymore, but I'm not much of juggler. And I usually use my GR on a pano bracket, with flash attached, so it gets pretty heavy.

12-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The Peak Design anchors fit the GR3 well so they should also fit the GR2. I like to use the wrist strap a lot but there is a variety of the PD neck straps, too.
12-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think so...

That's what I just bought at a camera store today. Peak Design Anchor 4-Pack. The cord is too thick to fit into the lugs, and too flexible to push around the corner and out. Do they make another size?
12-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
I'm looking for a traditional two-point shoulder strap that will fit my GR ll. The lugs on the body are so small that it's hard to insert anything through them. I know straps aren't cool anymore, but I'm not much of juggler. And I usually use my GR on a pano bracket, with flash attached, so it gets pretty heavy.
You might get more bites if you ask in the GR forum: Ricoh GR - PentaxForums.com

12-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What straps fit the GR?

I like to carry my GRll on a regular shoulder strap. The strap lugs of these cameras are very small. I just bought a set of Peak Design Anchors to attach a strap, but the cord loop is too thick to fit into the lug channels and too flexible to push around the sharp corner and outward. I've been using plastic zip-ties, which are easy to loop through the lugs, but they can wear and break. Any other ideas?
12-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe adding a small split ring would help?
12-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about Ricoh's own GS-3 or ST-1 straps? They would be guaranteed to fit.

12-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There may have been a thinner peak design anchor that could have fit, but current ones don't. There are a few options, such as optech, that make straps similar to the official GR straps: super thin anchors that clip into the main strap. I've considered them, always end up with just the wrist strap for compactness.
12-10-2021, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

I had a similar problem attaching a strap that was not stiff enough to be pushed through a lug once. I just remember how I solved it now.

I got a short length of thread that would easily go through the lug. I put it through the lug, hooked it through the loop on the strap and the back through the lug. Then, rather than trying to push it through, I could pull it through.

Might that work with your Peak Design anchors?
12-11-2021, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Here's how the PD anchor looks on my GR3. I bought the PD wrist strap 2 years ago; maybe indeed they've changed the thickness of the cord in the meantime. Or the lugs have different dimensions on these two cameras.

12-11-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
maybe adding a small split ring would help?
That's what you have to do on the GRIII
12-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
What about Ricoh's own GS-3 or ST-1 straps? They would be guaranteed to fit.
I'll do that if I don't find a cheaper alternative. The GS-3 strap is $47!
12-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
Forum Member

peak design will fit...tight but it will work (GRIII)

12-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I guess the GR-in-the-pocket concept makes the lugs something of an afterthought.
12-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
I'll do that if I don't find a cheaper alternative. The GS-3 strap is $47!
I see. The price relationship must be quite different where you are. Some of the US accessory brands seem to be good value in America but a bit of a rip-off when imported over here in Japan (Domke bags are a good example).

Ricoh also sells Peak Design straps on it's store in Japan, but they only show up in the straps for DSLR category, not straps for compact cameras.

By the way, the other brands Ricoh does sell for GR are ARTISAN&ARTIST (lovely quality, but expensive) and Industria (specifically designed for the GR).

It looks like some people have made the Peak Design work with GRs though.