Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2021, 12:40 AM   #1

GRIII: Why does the SD card (sometimes) have to be formatted?

I am a very happy owner of a GR III and I really love this camera. But one thing makes me desperate. When I take the SD card out of the camera and read it, the card sometimes needs to be formatted when it is back in the camera. But sometimes not. I can't find any regularity - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, even with the same card. Does anyone know why that is?

12-12-2021, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure about your case, but I find that if I don't properly 'eject' the card from my Mac, it won't be readable in my K-1ii (I experienced the same with my KP, K-5ii, K-01).

If I encounter this, I pop the card back into my Mac, then 'eject' it, and pop it back in the camera. It's usually good after doing this. From memory, Windows operates in a similar fashion.

Or I can just format it in the K-1.

I think computers might leave one or more files in the card in an open state. Using the software 'eject' closes everything off so the card is good to go.

My Pentax cameras have been the worst with this (presume Ricoh is the same). Some makes I've owned don't bat an eyelid...they must just correct the data state and move on.
12-12-2021, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I always format the SD card "in camera" once I've downloaded my images. Its the quickest way of emptying the contents of the card.
12-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Next time it happens, put it back in the computer and check if any of the software you're using leaves files on the card (maybe they're hidden). I think this can also require a format.

12-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always format the card in camera once downloading is complete, that is a best practice IMO. It can prevent all types of possible problems and does not harm the card.
12-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
think computers might leave one or more files in the card in an open state.
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
check if any of the software you're using leaves files on the card (maybe they're hidden)
Yes - Macs definitely write files to the SD cards (IMHO - an unpardonable sin!). If I put such a card that has been in my wife's Mac into my Windows system, and have it in the "show hidden files" mode, there are always several .xxxxx (note the leading period) files on it. To the best of my knowledge, Windows does not do this (although is has a myriad of its own sins).
12-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #7

Windows will write a hidden "System Volume Information" folder which normally does not cause a problem unless you remove the card from the reader without properly ejecting/safely removing it first through the OS. There's a group policy/registry entry that you can make to stop this folder from being created.

Search for my posts on this using "System Volume Information"

Or write protect the card before inserting it into the reader. If the reader is one of those cheap stick type readers without a write protect sensor you can set the removable drive/reader to read-only with DISKPART. Search on my posts for "DISKPART" for the commands.

If the dirty shutdown flag on the card is set the less sophisticated system on the camera may only have formatting as a way to clear it. Putting the card back in the reader and ejecting via the OS may just clear the dirty shutdown flag, but normally you have to scan the card for errors or format it,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/fsutil-dirty

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-12-2021 at 08:43 AM.
12-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Windows will write a hidden "System Volume Information" folder which normally does not cause a problem unless you remove the card from the reader without properly ejecting/safely removing it first through the OS. There's a group policy/registry entry that you can make to stop this folder from being created.
I do not recall seeing a Sys Volume file on an SD card, but they do get created on everything else - damn annoying! What's the registry entry for this (I've no fear of using regedit). Does it work on internal/external hard drives, too? Thanks!
12-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #9

It's the Windows indexing service that creates the SVI folder. If you don't use indexing you can disable the service and Windows will no longer create the folder (and files) on all removable drives. The folder will still be created on fixed drives as it is used for other things like shadow copies and restore points. I normally disable indexing services altogether as it can slow file writes.

If you use indexing you can disable it for removable drives drives only.

See these posts on some "Windows" sites:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/93666-enable-disable-search-indexing-windows.html
https://superuser.com/questions/1199823/how-to-prevent-creation-of-system-vo...windows-10-for

The SVI folder is a system/hidden folder and normally won't show in Windows Explorer unless you change the folder options to show system files. You also have to change the rights on the folder if you want to explore the contents.
Note: disabling the service will not remove the folder and contents. You have to do that manually. It's best not to delete the folder on the root of fixed drives.
12-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
ormally won't show in Windows Explorer unless you change the folder options to show system files
I have my PCs set to show everything possible (hidden, system, the file type extensions, etc.). I didn't know about turning off indexing. THANKS!
12-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

As Not a Number writes: always use save eject in the system tray when you're done with reading or writing on the SD-card. It is the only way to prevent getting the message that you have to format the card. In explorer you can always right click the associated drive letter of the SD-card and choose eject. Never take the SD card without applying any of these two options.
12-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
Lev
Veteran Member

never tried to reformat any card until it stopped working, but even then it does not help. Something else is going on. Try another brand?
12-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
never tried to reformat any card until it stopped working, but even then it does not help. Something else is going on. Try another brand?
I have on occasion accidentally flicked the write protect tab on, AND not ejected the card. Kept me confused for a while, since the camera could neither read more format it! I think I've managed to do this simply inserting the card into a camera (if the slider catches an edge on the way in, it can be switched to write protect easily).

Might not be your problem, but it happens to the best of us! They do also simply fail eventually.
12-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #14
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
I have on occasion accidentally flicked the write protect tab on, AND not ejected the card. Kept me confused for a while, since the camera could neither read more format it! I think I've managed to do this simply inserting the card into a camera (if the slider catches an edge on the way in, it can be switched to write protect easily).

Might not be your problem, but it happens to the best of us! They do also simply fail eventually.
yep, my 64Gb Sandisk ended up like that in a couple of months of use. Imagin people buying one TB versions...
12-12-2021, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
yep, my 64Gb Sandisk ended up like that in a couple of months of use. Imagin people buying one TB versions...
Yes...and even if you can get it working again, it's pretty much a throw away because you don't want to trust it anymore.

1TB failing in a few months would hurt.