Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2021, 04:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR3-like jpeg settings for other cameras?

Hi everyone,
I've been wondering how to re-create GR3 jpeg styles in my Pentax KP. I like these GR3 jpegs so much (especially BW) and I wish I could apply them to the user modes in my KP. Somehow I cannot get satisfactory results by just "playing with the settings"... Maybe someone has already tried it?
And if not in-camera, maybe in raw post-processing?
Cheers,
Chris

12-19-2021, 05:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Certainly possible in raw, but it's not easy, I've never been able to fully match. The GR mono profiles also apply some filters (hi-bw seems to emulate a red filter), and there's some subtlety to the tone curve that I can't replicate. There are professional solutions like Colour profiles and digital emulations - Cobalt Image I'm assuming their audience are commercial projects where there's a need to match images/video from multiple cameras.
12-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter

What a great opportunity to start working in post and make things your own.

Get an image editor and find your style. And yes, RAW.
12-19-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been shooting raws almost exclusively for the past 5 years but some jpeg styles are simply so good that I see no reason not to use them.

12-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Another way could be to create your own LUT file. It's a map from one color to another and the way darktable and rawtherapee implement their film simulations by replacing colors according to this table. Never tried to create my own, it's a bit involved in terms of command line tooling, and I'm wondering what kind of images you need to use for constructing this LUT to have a good range of color.
12-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
I've been shooting raws almost exclusively for the past 5 years but some jpeg styles are simply so good that I see no reason not to use them.
In that case, study the histograms from the GR3. Also keep in mind it might have better/different DR than the KP as well.
12-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just a thought … does the GR3 use (or is it compatible with) the Digital Camera Utility software?
If so it might be possible to examine an image there and make a note of the settings in "Pentax-speak" then (simply?) transfer them to a DSLR, or at least to a DSLR image

12-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you. I think I got the DCU with my KP recently. I'll check if it leads me anywhere.
12-20-2021, 02:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Thank you. I think I got the DCU with my KP recently. I'll check if it leads me anywhere.
The version that came with the KP may pre-date the GR3 … you may need to install the v5.9.2 update from Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
12-20-2021, 02:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The version that came with the KP may pre-date the GR3 … you may need to install the v5.9.2 update
Good point, thank you!