Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2022, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
GR III lens cover broke - JJC ALC-GR3 auto lens cap to the rescue

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First this happened a couple months ago...

I'm a 'have it in the pocket all the time' GRer, and discovered camera in this condition one day after an all day outing the previous day, so no clue when/where/how the missing piece escaped.

This immediately began cramping my style... Even though you can see from the snap above that my lens is already quite dirty, psychologically I haven't been comfortable with the GR sitting naked in my pocket with the lens exposed like this, so I've been keeping it in a pouch/bag. Being accustomed to immediate GR pocket access, it's no fun having to remove it from the bag all the time, and the bag adds extra bulk to pocket...

A few days ago while out on a walk and taking the extra time to extract GR from bag before shooting, it occurred to me that maybe there is a lens cap designed for the GR! I walked home fast and managed to remember to check (ebay) to discover that sure enough there is a common looking GR lens cap being sold out there in abundance. It reportedly just pops off easily when you turn the camera on... Good enough for me, so was about to buy that until I saw an ad for this JJC ALC-GR3 Auto Lens Cap which was about the same price as the typical cap... So I bought this instead which has just arrived and seems like it could do the trick...

It obviously adds a bit of extra bulk, and doesn't look as pretty (when closed) as my blue ring, but it's better than the bag/pouch (when riding pocket of course). Assuming it lasts, I'll probably spend some spare time trying to rub off the label paint, as that kind of stuff annoys me... I might even buy the other cap at some point to compare the two after trying this out for a while... If it breaks I'll be sure to report back.

01-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a neat design, can it spin around the lens?
Consider rotating the "petals" around to act as a lens hood? just second or two of fiddling could help block stray light

And are you sure your built-in cap has a missing part? Could it be stuck inside? I've seen that happen on other cameras with this style, there may be a piece of grit that is keeping it from closing.
Poke around carefully and see if it's there still.
01-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
can it spin around the lens
No, it's fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
sure your built-in cap has a missing part? Could it be stuck inside?
Pretty sure it's left the housing. I've inspected and slid a thin implement around in there a good bit and have thus far found no shred of evidence of it hiding in there at least.
01-28-2022, 01:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a metal push on lens cap on amazon that looks more elegant and simple to use.

Lens Cap for RICOH GR IIIx GR III GR II GR3 GR2 Camera (Metal)
£15.99
Amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lens-Cap-RICOH-Camera-Metal/dp/B07WC1XQV9/ref=asc_d...a-823946479870

Have you enquired about the cost to fix it?

Last edited by Kevin B123; 01-28-2022 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Link added.
01-28-2022, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
simple to use.
Seems a clear matter of personal preference. I am imagining having to keep track of the removable lens cap to be a potential hassle which is why this fixed cap appeals to me. And yes yours linked is the cap I was referring to in my original post that I may still try and compare to this one.

Have you enquired about the cost to fix it?
Not going to inquire about getting it fixed... I just dont want to deal with it.
01-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

The GRiii is not that old. Was it in under warranty?

01-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
nd yes yours linked is the cap I was referring to in my original post that I may still try and compare to this one.
Ah sorry, I was replying at work and did not take the time to search it.
When you turn the camera on, does it push the cap open?, is it straining the lens opening mechanism do you think?

There is also the NISI adaptor, you could leave it on with a UV filter attached. It is more bulky though.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560217-REG/nisi_nisi_rgr3_ad_49_49mm...981&

01-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigma2021 Quote
under warranty?
Not...

does it push the cap open?, is it straining the lens opening mechanism
Yes, it pushes open, but the process does not seem to be a strain at all. The cap doors are thin and light and open quickly and easily. I would think these cap wings are easier to open that the other cap.

NISI adaptor
I have the Haoge LAR-GR adapter that looks similar in size and it would be too bulky as a cap for my liking. Works for my 67mm filters just fine though..
01-28-2022, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put a filter on the front and lens cap. Onthe back is a "clearviewer"

01-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
clearviewer
You've enticed me with the clearviewer before... I'm not fan of filters though unless I'm intentionally manipulating things (ND/IR/CPL)
01-29-2022, 07:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've enticed me with the clearviewer before... I'm not fan of filters though unless I'm intentionally manipulating things (ND/IR/CPL)
Well if you saw the crap in my pockets then you would need something to protect the camera from sucking in dust. I dont trust the GR lens blade thing to survive my pockets. By the way Todd wanna buy another GR?
01-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I put a filter on the front and lens cap. Onthe back is a "clearviewer"

Clearviewer looks interesting. Visited their website. However their site contact page is broken, and no address or email details.

Do you have an email for them?

Thanks.

01-29-2022, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The blade did not come out. It is part of an assembly. It is stuck in the open position maybe caused by a piece of sand or dirt. Sometimes you can blow canned air into where the blade is and it will start to work. The "rest position" is the blades being closed. Sometimes the assembly is snapped in and then held with screws and sometimes just snapped in.
01-30-2022, 03:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi,
I know it's not the thread about the camera cases, but I found the GC-10 case very useful. I keep it attached to my waist belt via clip hook and this way the camera stays protected from all the stuff in the pocket while being still easily accessible.
Attached Images

02-08-2022, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Unregistered User

First this happened a couple months ago...

I'm a 'have it in the pocket all the time' GRer, and discovered camera in this condition one day after an all day outing the previous day, so no clue when/where/how the missing piece escaped.

This immediately began cramping my style... Even though you can see from the snap above that my lens is already quite dirty, psychologically I haven't been comfortable with the GR sitting naked in my pocket with the lens exposed like this, so I've been keeping it in a pouch/bag. Being accustomed to immediate GR pocket access, it's no fun having to remove it from the bag all the time, and the bag adds extra bulk to pocket...

A few days ago while out on a walk and taking the extra time to extract GR from bag before shooting, it occurred to me that maybe there is a lens cap designed for the GR! I walked home fast and managed to remember to check (ebay) to discover that sure enough there is a common looking GR lens cap being sold out there in abundance. It reportedly just pops off easily when you turn the camera on... Good enough for me, so was about to buy that until I saw an ad for this JJC ALC-GR3 Auto Lens Cap which was about the same price as the typical cap... So I bought this instead which has just arrived and seems like it could do the trick...

It obviously adds a bit of extra bulk, and doesn't look as pretty (when closed) as my blue ring, but it's better than the bag/pouch (when riding pocket of course). Assuming it lasts, I'll probably spend some spare time trying to rub off the label paint, as that kind of stuff annoys me... I might even buy the other cap at some point to compare the two after trying this out for a while... If it breaks I'll be sure to report back.
I had the same problem with mine after managing to drop it - in my case the front portion of the mounting with the writing on it had lifted slightly and needed to be pressed back down and the blade reappeared. It has been fine ever since, but looking at your photos I can't see anything that isn't sitting flush.