Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Own both the GR iii and the GR iiix?

Does anyone own both the GR III and the GR IIIx? What do you think of the pros and cons of owning the two versions of the camera? If you possess both, do you carry both with you while on a photo shoot? I am considering this option but I am wondering whether cropping the GR III is sufficient to meet my needs (and my wallet) for a longer focal length.

03-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I owned the III since it was released, and traded it for the IIIx. I carried both for just a little bit, and found it... odd. Having two very small cameras which are identical in feel made it honestly a little hard to know which was which, and juggling them in and out of different pockets just felt a bit much. I really grew to appreciate what the 28mm could do, but I already knew that 40mm is my favorite focal length of all time, so I jumped over. I do miss the former camera now and then, but that's because I like composing with a wide angle. If you know your style is more suited to a slightly longer lens, then you should opt for the IIIx, because the 28mm won't do it for you. IQ is still excellent when using the 35mm crop mode, but when you get to the 50mm crop mode, you have a file that's under 8mp, so you're pretty limited with what else you can do with it. In other words, 50mm is about as final a crop as you're likely to get away with. Whereas the equivalent on the IIIx is 71mm, and the 50mm crop on that one is still close to 17mp.
03-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting question and an option I've been considering. However, as I find I tend to use the GRiii with less care with the framing than I do with a DSLR, partly because the screen is not always that clear in bright light, or I'm shooting rapidly, I've so far concluded the iiix would be more restrictive.

I have thought whether using a GRiiix with the viewfinder accessory might somehow distinguish between how I might use the two cameras. It would solve the bright light issue and would probably help with framing. I wouldn't have to use it of course, but I think I'd feel the two cameras were different. Not sure. Just thinking on it. I wonder what replies you'll receive ...
03-25-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Interesting question and an option I've been considering. However, as I find I tend to use the GRiii with less care with the framing than I do with a DSLR, partly because the screen is not always that clear in bright light, or I'm shooting rapidly, I've so far concluded the iiix would be more restrictive.

I have thought whether using a GRiiix with the viewfinder accessory might somehow distinguish between how I might use the two cameras. It would solve the bright light issue and would probably help with framing. I wouldn't have to use it of course, but I think I'd feel the two cameras were different. Not sure. Just thinking on it. I wonder what replies you'll receive ...
Did you put screen brightness into your quick menu (pressing in the rear rocker)? I find the +2 screen brightness is pretty much enough to overpower strong sunlight most of the time and make composition fairly easy.

03-25-2022, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

We have both (it seemed stupid to have both the same) and I do use the GRlll with the 35mm crop (and by mistake some photos on 50mm which were still fine*). My partner prefers the 40mm whereas I prefer the wider 28mm ( I also have the KP because I like having the OVF and interchangeable lenses). So basically we have the two GRs because there are two of us but I wouldn't personally have both of them (even if I didn't have the KP).
*Listening to the 2006 episodes of the excellent podcast The Candid Frame the other week there were professional photographers talking about 6 or 8mb digital cameras and blowing up the photos for exhibitions - I have just looked at the 50mm GRlll raw files and they are still pretty good quality*

Last edited by Unregistered User; 03-25-2022 at 02:45 PM.
03-25-2022, 03:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've so far concluded the iiix would be more restrictive.
I find the horizon is a little tricky to get straight off on the iiix, it may be I need more practice on that to get there quickly.

As noted, pressing the rear rocker brings up the screen brightness option, which is necessary in bright sunny conditions. This aspect is no worse than using a phone but the solution is quickly at hand and once set for those conditions you are good to go.

I would not consider a viewfinder as it would kind of defeat the purpose of the camera.

The rings on the front are detachable and come in all sorts of colours, so use a different one on the iii and iiix.

As for owning both, I could see a case for it and the frustration of having the wrong one in hand when you need it.
03-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got the GR III only, and I have a DSLR for other occasions. If I were traveling a lot, it would be very tempting to go with the two GRs.

If I were going to get both, I'd get the grey "Urban Edition" of the GR IIIx so I could distinguish which is which more easily.

I thought this bag by Industria looked perfect. I'm sure plenty of other bags would work just as well.

03-26-2022, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Did you put screen brightness into your quick menu (pressing in the rear rocker)? I find the +2 screen brightness is pretty much enough to overpower strong sunlight most of the time and make composition fairly easy.
Thanks, I do do that. It helps, but it doesn't help the battery life, sadly. Carrying a spare battery I've never run out of juice, so maybe I've got the balance about right. It's low winter sunlight on the screen where the screen visibility is most challenged I've found.

Writing this has made me wonder if I might be able to make use of my Hoodman loupe! Seems ridiculous, but I'll experiment. I'm not talking taking street photos, but more a winter stroll along the beach where I have time to fiddle. I use the loupe a lot on my K-1 when I'm manual focussing using LV. It might help with framing as well as visibility. As I'm thinking more on this ... because I need reading specs I have to flick then on/off to read/see the screen. Adding low sunlight and using the camera at arm's length I'm also thinking as the loupe has a dioptre adjustment, it may help with the specs thing. I'll give a try even though it seems a little daft ...
03-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both cameras and use them in tandem often. To tell which is which the 28mm one has a Peak Design connector on it. When doing general street photography I reach for the 28. I just got back from a few days in NYC. Having both freed me up from carrying the dslr, but I did have some days when I had all three going.
03-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello JPT,

That is a nifty camera bag. The tag says the brand is Industria. My internet search does not list any camera bag by that name brand. Is it available only in Japan?

DenB
03-29-2022, 03:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did try the Hoodman loupe with the GRiii and I found it very usable and useful.

To recap, sunlight on the screen, and indeed looking into a bright scene, I find difficult. The loupe solves this instantly. Also, as I have to wear reading glasses, using the loupe also means I don't need them (as it has a dioptre adjustment). The loupe easily swings up from its neck cord to be used when required. It works very smoothly. I think this is much better option than a viewfinder.

It will also remove some of the uncertainty from accurately composing a scene in bright light. Maybe, the GRiiix now becomes an option for me with the loupe as more accurately composed images would be easier, taking into account the longer focal length of the iiix.

Next for me comes a 'need' for a (another) bag. Maybe that will be the subject of another post ...
03-29-2022, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #12

I have both cameras and carry them most places in my daily bag which is a Fabio’s Fanny by RonsBikes.com. Each camera is kept in a leather Ricoh case (GC-9 and 11) and I carry a small Ruggard HFV-250 compact camera case as well which houses a LightPix Labs Q20ii flash and two extra camera batteries. When I’m going out without the bag or just looking to carry less, I’ll pick one camera and carry it by hand or in a jacket pocket, smaller hip pouch/bag, or occasionally feed the case onto my belt. I try not to labor too hard about which camera to choose as they’re both fairly versatile IMO and I’m generally fine working within the confines of either fixed focal length.

I very vaguely think of the 28mm as my inside camera and the 40mm as my outside one though there are a million exceptions to this in practice. The other way I sometimes think about the two different perspectives is in terms of my anticipated proximity to the subject matter and the extent to which I want to add “drama” (28mm) or present “reality” (40mm).

I find the crop modes on both cameras quite usable so you could definitely use the 28mm cropped to 35mm or 50mm to cover those general perspectives, albeit with some resolution loss which may or may not be an issue depending on your goals/end use of the images. It’s worth noting that the GR iii’s 28mm cropped to 35/50mm does not yield quite as natural results for close-quarters portraiture type shots and will introduce a little more distortion to facial features than the GRiiix’s 40mm lens. I don’t think this is bad per se, but it is noticeable.

I’m a real fan of the GR’s and generally recommend owning any one of them, including the older GR Digtial models. They’re fun, unique little cameras that are easy to keep on hand and inspire me to take pictures. I think there’s definitely a case to be made for owning both the iii and the iiix and of course many good cases against as cameras are very personal and everyone’s photography needs different. I personally feel fortunate to be able to have both cameras and at the moment they’re functioning as a near perfect set up for the way I shoot.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.
06-14-2022, 02:37 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've got the GR III only, and I have a DSLR for other occasions. If I were traveling a lot, it would be very tempting to go with the two GRs.

If I were going to get both, I'd get the grey "Urban Edition" of the GR IIIx so I could distinguish which is which more easily.

I thought this bag by Industria looked perfect. I'm sure plenty of other bags would work just as well.
Hi - where can I buy that Industria bag from? Amazon.jp?