Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2022, 08:38 PM   #16

Man i JUST got my brand new GR III delivered and I read about the dust on sensor issues but it seemed (maybe my bias since I wanted a GR III) like it was more of an older version issue like GR II and earlier.

Now that I have one in hand, I really want to take it EVERYWHERE I go and obviously one of the reasons I bought it was because the "pocketability" Now here I am scared to put my brand new GR III in my jean, shorts, or pants pocket.

What are you guys doing? Are y'all just saying to hell with it and throw it in your pockets? I mean I got this camera because I want to USE it a lot. And today (delivered yesterday) I found myself not wanting to put it in my pocket... But I got this so I didn't have to wear a camera around on a strap or in a bag.

Do you guys use a case or pouch before you put it in your pocket? I see there is a aluminum lens cap some people use.

I mean we got these things to use not sit on a shelf. Like my poor old K3 has been for the last couple of years.

04-14-2022, 10:25 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikebb Quote
Man i JUST got my brand new GR III delivered and I read about the dust on sensor issues but it seemed (maybe my bias since I wanted a GR III) like it was more of an older version issue like GR II and earlier.

Now that I have one in hand, I really want to take it EVERYWHERE I go and obviously one of the reasons I bought it was because the "pocketability" Now here I am scared to put my brand new GR III in my jean, shorts, or pants pocket.

What are you guys doing? Are y'all just saying to hell with it and throw it in your pockets? I mean I got this camera because I want to USE it a lot. And today (delivered yesterday) I found myself not wanting to put it in my pocket... But I got this so I didn't have to wear a camera around on a strap or in a bag.

Do you guys use a case or pouch before you put it in your pocket? I see there is a aluminum lens cap some people use.

I mean we got these things to use not sit on a shelf. Like my poor old K3 has been for the last couple of years.
I don't own a GR series camera, but I own and still use some small-sensor compacts. I've never just put a camera in my pocket without storing it in a case first.

Ever since I was a teenager, I've carried a pocket knife in a rear pocket of my jeans, and whenever I clean and lubricate it I'm always amazed by the amount of dark blue cotton dust and fibres that have accumulated in the frame. Once, I replaced the scales on my Victorinox knife, and the amount of detritus that had managed to get between the scales and frame was surprising, especially since there was no discernible gap through which it might enter. I imagine it'd find its way into cameras too...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-15-2022 at 01:07 AM.
04-15-2022, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by mikebb Quote

I use the Nisa lens adapter and a filter and put the camera in a drawstring microfibre bag. Ok, it now fits in my jacket pocket rather than my jeans, but I made the decision to look after it (cos it aint cheap!)- and it still goes everywhere with me.
04-15-2022, 06:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
I stand my point; fixed lens compacts are less prone to sensor dust. And it would be an better option for the Ricoh GR series, since the sensor dust issue is an ongoing battle for the users. If you can't solve an issue - rethink it.
Actually my understanding is that fixed lens compacts are more prone to sensor dust than other camera types, for several reasons. The first is that the lens usually extends as soon as it's turned on - that sucks in air and dust along with it. The second is that the sensor is bare for the entire time it's in use because it's needed for framing, AF, exposure etc, so it's never protected by a shutter.

I agree that it should be possible to prevent dust from getting in (using tight tolerances and good filters) but I suspect it's a question of keeping size and cost down.

04-15-2022, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't own a GR series camera, but I own and still use some small-sensor compacts. I've never just put a camera in my pocket without storing it in a case first.

Ever since I was a teenager, I've carried a pocket knife in a rear pocket of my jeans, and whenever I clean and lubricate it I'm always amazed by the amount of dark blue cotton dust and fibres that have accumulated in the frame. Once, I replaced the scales on my Victorinox knife, and the amount of detritus that had managed to get between the scales and frame was surprising, especially since there was no discernible gap through which it might enter. I imagine it'd find its way into cameras too...

I still got a few of those compacts too. They seem to be coming back. Like the "vintage film" cameras we'll have "vintage digital" soon. Haha. But I did both pocket carry and sometimes small camera pouch on strap carry.

I do have a small neoprene on the way and eventually I want one of their leather cases for my GR. For now I do have a microfiber sunglasses pouch I can drop ot in before a pocket.

I may even consider on of those aluminum lens caps and a case or pouch.
04-15-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Actually my understanding is that fixed lens compacts are more prone to sensor dust than other camera types, for several reasons. The first is that the lens usually extends as soon as it's turned on - that sucks in air and dust along with it. The second is that the sensor is bare for the entire time it's in use because it's needed for framing, AF, exposure etc, so it's never protected by a shutter.

I agree that it should be possible to prevent dust from getting in (using tight tolerances and good filters) but I suspect it's a question of keeping size and cost down.
FIXED lens = NOT moving. Does not retract/extend at on/off.

A lens fixed in a permanently extended position.

You just argued against me with the exact point that I'm making.

We agree.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 04-15-2022 at 10:36 AM.
04-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

FIXED lens = NOT moving. Does not retract.
Please just read what I've written in the thread before answering. You just argued against me with the exact point that I'm making.

We agree.
I think this is just a minor difference in use of terminology, Stefan. Many folks consider a "fixed lens" simply to be non-removable rather than non-moving. A lot of cameras described by some sources as fixed-lens models have lenses that extend at power on/off, during focusing, or when changing focal length in a zoom...

04-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is just a minor difference in use of terminology,

Sure - It's so.

But you have to admit that I have explained my point (more then the term "fixed") pretty well by now? I've used more "terms" and example models to prove my point. At least I've tried to. But it seems like I'm not able to get through.
04-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure - It's so.

But you have to admit that I have explained my point (more then the term "fixed") pretty well by now?
At least I've tried to.
Definitely ... and I think Jonathan was merely replying whilst thinking of fixed-lens as meaning non-removable. It's all good, we all agree that a non-moving lens assembly is far less likely to introduce dust. Whether it's possible for Ricoh to incorporate such a lens that combines the necessary field of view and optical performance without increasing the size of the camera is another matter...
04-15-2022, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely ... and I think Jonathan was merely replying whilst thinking of fixed-lens as meaning non-removable. It's all good, we all agree that a non-moving lens assembly is far less likely to introduce dust. Whether it's possible for Ricoh to incorporate such a lens that combines the necessary field of view and optical performance without increasing the size of the camera is another matter...
Thank you sir!