Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2022, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #1

Help me justify the purchase of another GRIII...!

A bit of history... I am a long time Ricoh owner and fan - ranging from the fabulous film GR1V and desirable GR21. I was an early adopter when the first GRD came out in 2005 or so - which I still have.

Recently I just bought a GRIIIx Urban Edition and, because I like the idea of a matching camera in 28mm, a stock standard GRIII. I was torn between getting the GRIII Street Edition and the standard model GRII and finally, after much to-ing and fro-ing, purchased the standard GRIII.

Now I see that my dealer has the new GRIII Street Edition listed under the standard GRIII price, and I am seriously thinking about one.

Good idea? Or bad? Or should I get a X100V instead ?

I've thought of the following justification internal dialogues for acquiring the Street Edition as well -

I can use the standard GRII as my EDC and the Urban and Street Editions as weekends away/holidays/Sunday photo excursions.

The standard GRII can be switched to B&W only, leaving the other 2 with standard colour settings.

I can leave the 21mm wide angle conversion lens mounted all the time on the standard GRIII

Anything else?

Or I could just lie down in a darkened room for awhile - until this temporary insanity passes !

Last edited by LennyTheLion; 07-16-2022 at 06:29 PM.
07-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you taking food off the childrens' table by buying it?

anybody in the house not getting healthcare because you want another camera?

dude - just buy it....
07-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyTheLion Quote
A bit of history... I am a long time Ricoh owner and fan - ranging from the fabulous film GR1V and desirable GR21. I was an early adopter when the first GRD came out in 2005 or so - which I still have.

Recently I just bought a GRIIIx Urban Edition and, because I like the idea of a matching camera in 28mm, a stock standard GRIII. I was torn between getting the GRIII Street Edition and the standard model GRII and finally, after much to-ing and fro-ing, purchased the standard GRIII.

Now I see that my dealer has the new GRIII Street Edition listed under the standard GRIII price, and I am seriously thinking about one.

I've thought of the following justification internal dialogues for acquiring the Street Edition as well -

I can use the standard GRII as my EDC and the Urban and Street Editions as weekends away/holidays/Sunday photo excursions.

The standard GRII can be switched to B&W only, leaving the other 2 with standard colour settings.

I can leave the 21mm wide angle conversion lens mounted all the time on the standard GRIII

Anything else?

Or I could just lie down in a darkened room for awhile - until this temporary insanity passes !
I have the GR III and if I were to get the IIIx, I'd get the grey one so that I could tell which one was which easily when I reach for a camera.

Having said that, you already have both cameras, so perhaps the darkened room makes more sense. Or maybe to get the teleconverter for the IIIx or wait for a new GR to come out.

By the way, I also had the original GRD. What a great camera that was for the time. "Serious compacts" hardly existed before that. I still have it somewhere.
07-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
are you taking food off the childrens' table by buying it?

anybody in the house not getting healthcare because you want another camera?

dude - just buy it....
Nooooooooooooooooooooo...

07-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #5

Buy a X100V - we also have the GRlll and lllx and if I were to buy another fixed lens camera I definitely would try a Fuji.
07-16-2022, 11:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Buy it to increase Pentax sales. You don’t need it and you will soon find out that one of them is perfect, preferred… takes time to find out.
07-17-2022, 12:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I have the GR III and if I were to get the IIIx, I'd get the grey one so that I could tell which one was which easily when I reach for a camera.

Having said that, you already have both cameras, so perhaps the darkened room makes more sense. Or maybe to get the teleconverter for the IIIx or wait for a new GR to come out.

By the way, I also had the original GRD. What a great camera that was for the time. "Serious compacts" hardly existed before that. I still have it somewhere.
When do we think a new model GRD will come out?

---------- Post added 07-17-22 at 01:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Buy a X100V - we also have the GRlll and lllx and if I were to buy another fixed lens camera I definitely would try a Fuji.
The X100V is nice, but slightly out of date compared to the likes of the GRIIIx - for instance, no IBIS.

One thing that really concerns about the X100V is that it has been out since Feb 2020. Following the release date, and lifecycle of other X100 models, this probably indicates that a new X100 model could be just around the corner ! See table attached..

And that would really piss me off, buying something and then discovering it becomes superceded in a couple of months !

Attached Images

Last edited by LennyTheLion; 07-17-2022 at 01:06 AM.
07-17-2022, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #8

When do we think a new model GRD will come out?

---------- Post added 07-17-22 at 01:05 AM ----------

The X100V is nice, but slightly out of date compared to the likes of the GRIIIx - for instance, no IBIS.

One thing that really concerns about the X100V is that it has been out since Feb 2020. Following the release date, and lifecycle of other X100 models, this probably indicates that a new X100 model could be just around the corner ! See table attached..

And that would really piss me off, buying something and then discovering it becomes superceded in a couple of months !
In that case I would just wait and see because what you have already have is more than enough to take great photos - and that is the whole point isn't it?
07-17-2022, 01:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can never have too many cameras.
07-17-2022, 02:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My father when still alive collected stamps from all over the world. And you are a collector of Ricoh GR(x) camera's. It uses much less space than that stamp collection which took about a room to store them, while your collection will fit in any cupboard even a small one. So if you have the space, why not buy that one. Only as long as your family are not wanting for necessary things like food and drink, clothes and a decent holiday...
And do not come up with excuses, just enjoy buying that camera and the fact that you can afford it, finding excuses also lead to asking the rest of your live if it was the right choice when it turns out you never use it as you thought when inventing the excuses. Me thinks this is enough justification!
07-17-2022, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Good idea? Or bad?
Since you ask I assume that you have the money to spend. What I do in those cases is to think through if there's anything else I could spend the money on that would bring me more joy - and if, after a couple of days, I still can't think of anything else that does, well...

I'm fairly strict with my two-day waiting period before acquiring new stuff. It really helps in reducing the "ooh, shiny, me want!" purchases while still letting me buy things I really "need" (aka want).
07-17-2022, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Life's too short. If you've got the money buy it and enjoy!
07-17-2022, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #13
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

When do we think a new model GRD will come out?[COLOR="Silver"]

As I have said repeatedly, we spend too much time declaring something is “out of date”;
if it photographs, that is not true.
07-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got one I dont use, PM me if interested.

1200 shots

Last edited by zippythezip; 07-17-2022 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add on
07-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #15

Anything else?

Iīve been buying stuff that I donīt really need all of my life. Mostly technical stuff. Lots of Hifi stereo parts. Motorcycles, cameras....
Starting with Praktikas, Zenza Bronica, then when I started making money Leica and Contax in the 80s. Now mostly Pentax as far as cameras are concerned.
What made me turn a corner was when my old friend Dave died just being 50. He was a hardcore motorcycle rider as hardcore as you get them.
And he had barely ridden during his last years since he was so busy maintaining his 23 motorcycles.
His widows sold it all off in the spring following his untimely death. She had to. All their money went into that barely ridden bikes.

The moral: I set up some rules for myself and stick to it: No more than 5 bikes. Nobody needs more than 5 bikes. You can make the number 3 or 7. It doesnīt matter. Just draw a line and donīt change it.
Then: Donīt buy stuff that you already have. I just gave away a sportsbike. Now I can buy a new one.
That also means: Does it serve a purpose or am I just attracted? This one is hard to follow. 2 years ago I bought a Schneider Kreuznach T/S for the K1. Letīs just say I liked the blue rings.
This is by far the most expensive lens I ever bought talking Euros/shot.....

A lot better investment: The GRIII I bought last year. (The one with the orange ring.... Street Edition? The leather case that came with it ainīt bad.)
When I leave house I have it with me. I use it and thereby I get used to it. I know the buttons and know how to get the AF to do what I want.
Itīs becoming part of me.
Just like the touring bike that I spend about 200k miles on over the years. (OK, three identical bikes after another.)
Thinking of it: I gave away the sportsbike since I didnīt use it. Maybe I wonīt buy a newer one. I wonīt use it just the same.

This is not just about "can I afford it". Maybe the money doesnīt matter to you.
It is about "Does it really do something for you or do you just admire it?"
With the Schneider Kreuznach T/S for me it was the latter.