Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2022, 07:30 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
James Popsys buys a GRIII X

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

His first impressions . . .

08-16-2022, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An interesting video, I enjoyed that.
He has a good eye and the shots he gave us were great compositions, it was made for him and I think it will grow on him a bit.

I don't agree with this opinion of the build quality though, it is a magnesium body after all:
Ricoh GR III Camera Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I really enjoy mine and I'm even considering getting a GRIII to compliment it as I really can't stand using my phone to take pictures, for anything other than documentary work.
08-17-2022, 12:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it was nice video.

I think he said about perceived quality and I kinda think he is right. GR III looks cheap. Maybe it is the paint on the body or something, but it does not look as ~1000$ camera should look like
08-17-2022, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
He has a good eye and the shots he gave us were great compositions, it was made for him and I think it will grow on him a bit.

I don't agree with this opinion of the build quality though, it is a magnesium body after all:
Ricoh GR III Camera Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I really enjoy mine and I'm even considering getting a GRIII to compliment it as I really can't stand using my phone to take pictures, for anything other than documentary work.
We have both the GRlll and the X and they really are great little cameras (with big camera features).
Battery life - small battery for a small camera and you get many more shots than you would with a roll of film. Just pack a spare or two
Sensor dust - we bought small lint free bags to put the cameras in before they go in our pockets and we also have the GA-1 and GA-2 adapters with filters added if we think where we are going there might be a dust hazard.
These are the cameras we take when we go out for the evening, days out with friends, on holiday etc. because they are just so unobtrusive..
*where is that "thumbs up" Smilie?*

08-17-2022, 01:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice video. I can definitely see a IIIx joining my III some time in the future.
08-17-2022, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #6

considering getting a GRIII to compliment it
Do it ! I started off with the purchase of the GRIIIx Urban Edition, then followed by a plain-jane GRIII then, just a couple of days ago, a GRIII Street Edition.

---------- Post added 08-17-22 at 02:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
We have both the GRlll and the X and they really are great little cameras (with big camera features).
Battery life - small battery for a small camera and you get many more shots than you would with a roll of film. Just pack a spare or two
Sensor dust - we bought small lint free bags to put the cameras in before they go in our pockets and we also have the GA-1 and GA-2 adapters with filters added if we think where we are going there might be a dust hazard.
These are the cameras we take when we go out for the evening, days out with friends, on holiday etc. because they are just so unobtrusive..
*where is that "thumbs up" Smilie?*
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
bought small lint free bags
Pictures, or a link where you bought these from? I'm thinking of just using clear plastic sandwich bags to achieve the same purpose. Like this ->
Attached Images

Last edited by LennyTheLion; 08-17-2022 at 02:13 AM.
08-17-2022, 02:16 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Unregistered User

We bought these
MATIn Digital Cleaner Pouch Gr. M - Mikrofaserbeutel mit Kordelzug 17 x 13,5 cm - z.B. für 1 DSLM-Kamera mit Objektiv oder iPhone 6 Plus: Amazon.de: Elektronik & Foto

08-17-2022, 03:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I think he said about perceived quality and I kinda think he is right. GR III looks cheap. Maybe it is the paint on the body or something, but it does not look as ~1000$ camera should look like
Ricoh/Pentax are a bit over the extremes (quirky?). GRIII is one of the world smallest , if not the smallest camera at its sensor size. OTOH, the Pentax 150-450 is larger and heavier than most tele zooms of its range. There is a small Pentax 28-105 f5.6 and a large Pentax 24-70 f2.8 but not mid size 24-105/120. I believe its done on purpose, Pentax/Ricoh products complement each other, such as if you don't want to lug a K1 or K3III around, maybe you want to have a GRIII in the bag.
08-17-2022, 03:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

P.S.: if you find that the K1 is too slow, you may be motivated to buy a K3 III, and then if you feel like carrying a K1 and K3III is too much, you may consider buying a GRIII.
08-17-2022, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh/Pentax are a bit over the extremes (quirky?). GRIII is one of the world smallest , if not the smallest camera at its sensor size. OTOH, the Pentax 150-450 is larger and heavier than most tele zooms of its range. There is a small Pentax 28-105 f5.6 and a large Pentax 24-70 f2.8 but not mid size 24-105/120. I believe its done on purpose, Pentax/Ricoh products complement each other, such as if you don't want to lug a K1 or K3III around, maybe you want to have a GRIII in the bag.
What has any of this to do with James's review?

P.S.: if you find that the K1 is too slow, you may be motivated to buy a K3 III, and then if you feel like carrying a K1 and K3III is too much, you may consider buying a GRIII.
Speed is not really the issue IMO, it's size and everyone comes to the GR range for that reason, including James in his review.

It's a one camera solution for those occasions when you don't want all your kit with you, but you want control of your photography and image quality.
08-17-2022, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderator Note: A couple of posts were given a pass on being only marginally on-topic. If everyone could please try to comment on the video itself and the GR's the thread would be far more helpful. Further posts that are distracting from the topic will be deleted.
08-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

What has any of this to do with James's review?
That's an excellent question. @Jersey commented on the build quality of the GR3, also mentioned in the video from James Popsys. I was responding to @Jersey explaining about how Ricoh define their products (the mission of the product, the role it plays, what it's supposed to do for the users). I should have added more clearly that since the GR3 is an extremely compact and light weight camera, it wasn't going to be built like a tank. Does this answer your question?
08-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I should have added more clearly that since the GR3 is an extremely compact and light weight camera, it wasn't going to be built like a tank. Does this answer your question?
Thanks, I may have misinterpreted your post somewhat as well.
08-17-2022, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks, I may have misinterpreted your post somewhat as well.
I'm not always communicating my thoughts well, and I'm aware of that weakness and I've been working on it. When I'm a hurry and I don't take time to re-read myself, what I say or write may lead to some confusion.
08-23-2022, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoyed that review since I own a GRiiix. The guy does have an eye for composition. 55 days until we go to Italy. I think I've got it figured out enough to get good use out of it.