Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- Start their own conventional mirrorless system based on the GR interface - To keep existing GR fans happy they would probably need a range or compact primes and an M-mount adapter, but they don’t necessarily need a whole range of zooms.
- Join L-mount with a Ricoh body and lenses - I’m not actually sure how open L-mount really is. But I guess if Ricoh wanted to negotiate in, they could do so.
I actually wish Ricoh would slip into the micro four thirds space, and offer a compact body with snap focus and similar JPEG profiles to the APS-C GR. Let's not forget that the GR wasn't always about low noise or whatever - the small-sensor GRD line were sharp, but gritty. So the somewhat smaller sensor needn't be a turn-off. But being able to put the Panasonic 20mm pancake, the 15mm or 25mm Leica-badged primes, or any number of other small, sharp lenses (which are really the high point of M4/3 in my opinion) on a body with the same zone focus control as the fixed-lens GR would be awesome.

08-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I actually wish Ricoh would slip into the micro four thirds space, and offer a compact body with snap focus and similar JPEG profiles to the APS-C GR. Let's not forget that the GR wasn't always about low noise or whatever - the small-sensor GRD line were sharp, but gritty. So the somewhat smaller sensor needn't be a turn-off. But being able to put the Panasonic 20mm pancake, the 15mm or 25mm Leica-badged primes, or any number of other small, sharp lenses (which are really the high point of M4/3 in my opinion) on a body with the same zone focus control as the fixed-lens GR would be awesome.
And also, I'd be very interested if Ricoh could make a compact medium format GR with two or three lens options that would look like the old 120 film cameras.
08-19-2022, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote

Still consider APS-C the ideal format for the GR series. By choosing that as their platform, they have given the world a truly pocketable, totally unobtrusive take-anywhere camera that is yet good for big gallery-proof prints, even when shot under fairly challenging conditions. At the same time, they managed to make the GRs fast enough for grab shooting, hence the popularity with street photographers.

To my mind, the evolution of the GR series doesn't necessarily lie in forays into different formats but rather in working on the small things. Some possible design goals to pursue (and I'm well aware that some of them are conflicting, but every camera is and always has been a compromise):
  • even better AF (how about eye recognition?)
  • a BSI sensor for even better high-ISO (don't know if feasible, as it may require too much space)
  • improved weather and dust sealing
  • less point-and-shooty (i.e. wobbly) button experience
  • extended battery life
  • carefully tweaked ergonomics (think: thumb rest) for easier one-handed shooting
But please, don't water down the concept that made the GR such a cool and capable proposition.
08-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Still consider APS-C the ideal format for the GR series. By choosing that as their platform, they have given the world a truly pocketable, totally unobtrusive take-anywhere camera that is yet good for big gallery-proof prints, even when shot under fairly challenging conditions. At the same time, they managed to make the GRs fast enough for grab shooting, hence the popularity with street photographers.

To my mind, the evolution of the GR series doesn't necessarily lie in forays into different formats but rather in working on the small things. Some possible design goals to pursue (and I'm well aware that some of them are conflicting, but every camera is and always has been a compromise):
  • a BSI sensor for even better high-ISO (don't know if feasible, as it may require too much space)
  • extended battery life
  • carefully tweaked ergonomics (think: thumb rest) for easier one-handed shooting
But please, don't water down the concept that made the GR such a cool and capable proposition.
I wouldn't want to water down the APS-C GR concept, as I think it's the perfect compromise for great image quality: somehow Ricoh's wizards are able to make absolutely killer lenses to go with the excellent sensors. I mean, the 26.1mm lens on the IIIx is way better even than the GR III 18.3mm. It is just so well-corrected and bitingly sharp at all apertures. But Ricoh showed with the GXR that they can experiment without watering down the main camera line. I wouldn't see a M4/3 mirrorless body as replacing anything GR-wise any more than the GXR was. It's more that, as a M4/3 shooter, I really wish I had the GR secret sauce in that format.

08-23-2022, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote

• extended battery life
I agree. I think it’s important not to lose sight of the original concept which made the GR unique and developed its near cult following.

If the GR had reached the end of the line in terms of development then fair enough, diversify, but right now there are still one or two things which can be improved to retain the overall style of the original camera but at the same time bring it a little closer to perfection.

I’d love to hear that the GRIV will somehow incorporate weather sealing and a small viewfinder of some kind, but if that totally changes the style and tiny form factor then I’d rather stick with what I have in the GRIII.

Ian