Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2023, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a micro adapter that came with the Micro SD that went into my phone, never used. Looked at both and thought "why would I want to mess with this in the field?" Two small parts, big fingers and old near vision equals trouble just on a mechanical level, never mind possible weirdness from electrons.

08-24-2023, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Micro-SD for those devices that need them, full size for those that don't. 'Keep it Simple - Serenity'.
08-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a SanDisk MP3 player (tunes for the gym, very handy) that takes a microSD card ... tried it once, the micro card promptly fell out of the player and was lost forever. No more micro jobbies, the player can be updated/loaded with a USB cable. Works for me.
08-25-2023, 02:45 AM   #19

I have a SanDisc MP3 player with microSD card slot. Never had any problems with it. It's one of those push-in to release slots, not friction only like on the card reader I have or my cell phone. Since it's only a class 4 SDHC micro card it's just a fast writing to it in the device as using a card reader.

08-25-2023, 07:01 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As it was the first (and only) micro SD I had ever messed with, I can't rule out user error in the mishap. I thought it was placed correctly, but maybe not.
08-25-2023, 07:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I have a "Kingston" brand micro-SD adaptor which is unreliable on a good day in my DSLRs (on a bad day it doesn't work at all) but the card readers in my HP/Compaq computers read and write to it quite happily, irrespective of which micro-SD card is in it.....
I have no direct evidence, but it is reputed that "Kingston" is one of the most faked brands on the market - so I don't buy them and would advise anyone else to be very "careful" about doing that. Personally I almost exclusively use Sandisk-branded cards and (only metal cased ) USB drives, and then only from a small number proven reliable suppliers.
08-25-2023, 01:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
I used microSD in K-1, and it was quite unreliable.
I've used Sandisk 128, 256 & 512 microSDs in my K-1 with the supplied Sandisk Adapters with no issues for years. Cards were purchased at Adorama or B&H.

08-25-2023, 01:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I've used Sandisk 128, 256 & 512 microSDs in my K-1 with the supplied Sandisk Adapters with no issues for years. Cards were purchased at Adorama or B&H.
Interesting. I used WD's, with Samsung adapters.
08-25-2023, 01:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I have no direct evidence, but it is reputed that "Kingston" is one of the most faked brands on the market - so I don't buy them and would advise anyone else to be very "careful" about doing that. Personally I almost exclusively use Sandisk-branded cards and (only metal cased ) USB drives, and then only from a small number proven reliable suppliers.

Years ago I purchased Sandisk cards from Amazon. I also found a utility called h2testw. I tested each of the cards with the utility prior to use. The utility performs a write and read test as it completely fills the card. I sent several cards back to Amazon for incorrect speed and capacity. It is a given that one will never reach the speeds stated in the marketing material. But the speed and/or capacity can be so far off that you know the card is either defective, or a counterfeit. That is why I only purchase "on sale" cards at A or B&H. They are always in the ballpark.
09-11-2023, 09:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Do the cards and adapters work in other devices?
Yes, therefore this must be a GRIII issue
09-14-2023, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #26

Well Ricoh FAQ says the same thing as the FAQs for the Pentax bodies:

GR III | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteQuote:
Q: Can I use mini SD card and micro SD card with the adapter?
A: No, we cannot guaranty the function of any memory card use with adapter.
Please use SD, SDHC or SDXC Memory card.
People do use adapters on their Pentax K DSLRs and report no problems.

My take is you've been warned so if you use an adapter and if there is a problem don't blame Ricoh.
10-03-2023, 09:54 AM   #27
gbl

No problem here with a 32gb Sandisk micro SD card and the Sandisk adapter it came with. I use micro SD cards with adapters in most of my cameras without issues. The only camera that doesn't read the adapted cards is my old Nikon D40.