Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #1

GRIII X SD Card file corrupted

Hi, yesterday my camera suddenly showed "cannot view the image" after every new photo I took. And they disappeared after reboot. So I assume this is a normal SD card problem, I decided to dump all my images in my PC and formatting my SD card later. However, most of the files cannot be viewed properly on PC. They looked corrupted. Only showing part of the image or glitches. But strangely they look fine in my camera.

I really love those images and I don't know what I can do to save them. Please help!!!

10-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the .dng files open at all?
10-30-2023, 03:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Do the .dng files open at all?
Most of them cannot be opened or only show partially. But the thumbnail looks right when I directly connect the camera through Type C
10-30-2023, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure the card was formatted? What the camera shows is just a small jpg or the image for viewing on camera. Years ago I forgot to format a new card and had a similar experience.

10-30-2023, 05:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you check the file properties on your pc to see the file size? It might give you an idea if the full file was written to the card or not.
10-31-2023, 01:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I believe there is software that 'may' recover corrupted data.
10-31-2023, 03:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yippeexx Quote
Most of them cannot be opened or only show partially. But the thumbnail looks right when I directly connect the camera through Type C
Unfortunately the thumb nail is a small extra image added in the file system, says nothing on full image quality...

---------- Post added 31-10-23 at 11:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I believe there is software that 'may' recover corrupted data.
Your computerís disk verification works if camera is connected over USB or if sdcard is in memory slot of pc.
Windows offers disk verification (can confirm indication of sdcard problems...) and optionally repair (but no guarantee on content recovery, focus is on card repair, like excluding bad sectors..).
A file recovery/undelete program, found online, might be better to recover image files. And then afterwards, disk verification, reformatting and testing the card, or replacing it....

10-31-2023, 03:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Can you check the file properties on your pc to see the file size? It might give you an idea if the full file was written to the card or not.
ok. I checked, and the size is normal. For example, I shot on RAW+ mode, most of the dng file is around 30mb. But I can't open them on my pc.
10-31-2023, 03:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Unfortunately the thumb nail is a small extra image added in the file system, says nothing on full image quality...

---------- Post added 31-10-23 at 11:39 ----------

Your computerís disk verification works if camera is connected over USB or if sdcard is in memory slot of pc.
Windows offers disk verification (can confirm indication of sdcard problems...) and optionally repair (but no guarantee on content recovery, focus is on card repair, like excluding bad sectors..).
A file recovery/undelete program, found online, might be better to recover image files. And then afterwards, disk verification, reformatting and testing the card, or replacing it....
thanks will do
10-31-2023, 03:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Are you sure the card was formatted? What the camera shows is just a small jpg or the image for viewing on camera. Years ago I forgot to format a new card and had a similar experience.
I forgot. But the problem did not show up until my 300 photo

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-31-2023 at 04:52 PM.
10-31-2023, 09:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yippeexx Quote
ok. I checked, and the size is normal. For example, I shot on RAW+ mode, most of the dng file is around 30mb. But I can't open them on my pc.
Can you post a link to one of the DNG files you can't open and I'll have a look if I can recover something.
Feel free to PM me.