Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR III firmware update to Version 1.10

New firmware update is available. Didn't see mention of it here.

Latest GR III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteQuote:
Changes to V1.10
Improved AF performance in dark places and low contrast.
Correspond to Image Sync connection.
*Please use with Image Sync version (2.0.4) or later.
*With Image Sync version (2.0.4), you can only view and transfer images via a wireless LAN connection.
Improved stability for general performance.
I've only just installed and haven't had a chance (or lowlight enough) to test for changes, but I do love how often updates come to this line.

Image Sync update located here (or in your relevant app store):
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/app/image-sync2/

*EDIT/NOTE: Just so folks know - the notes state that Bluetooth and Remote Control do NOT function in this release version of Image Sync for the GRIII and that those will be addressed in a later version. Lowlight AF performance however is hugely improved as noted below.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-24-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: additional notes
04-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Seems the low light af is being addressed, I've seen reviews that mentioned it being one of the weaker points. Curious to see how big of an improvement this is.

04-22-2019, 09:04 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Seems the low light af is being addressed, I've seen reviews that mentioned it being one of the weaker points. Curious to see how big of an improvement this is.
Just arrived back home and tested it in my large living room lit with nothing but two 25-watt small lamps, and the difference is notable. I'd say the initial focusing action is slower, but it doesn't seem to hunt at all and just locks immediately. I've yet to get it to miss. This is great - it seems to be close to on-par with my old GRDIV now. AF was a quick adjustment on the original GR with an early couple firmware updates as well - glad this was hit quickly too. I'm genuinely happy with it now.

EDIT: I just turned of those aforementioned lamps so the only light in my living room was coming from bleed from two overheads in the kitchen, e.g. near darkness, and it was still locking on. Just snapped a 1.3 sec exposure at ISO 6400 f/4.5 and with IBIS I can read the lettering clearly on a remote control sitting on the coffee table 5 feet away. I'm impressed thus far.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-22-2019 at 09:12 PM.
04-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Just arrived back home and tested it in my large living room lit with nothing but two 25-watt small lamps, and the difference is notable. I'd say the initial focusing action is slower, but it doesn't seem to hunt at all and just locks immediately. I've yet to get it to miss. This is great - it seems to be close to on-par with my old GRDIV now. AF was a quick adjustment on the original GR with an early couple firmware updates as well - glad this was hit quickly too. I'm genuinely happy with it now.
Awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up soon, unfortunately my move to a new city has taken a toll on the finances, otherwise I'd be rocking one already)

04-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even better news.... Here's that shot, (SOOC JPG, recompressed with Snapseed to 95%), that I just mentioned, transfered via the Image Sync app and posted from my smartphone.
(Tho I'm not sure what attaching via Tapatalk may do to it...)

04-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Even better news.... Here's that shot, (SOOC JPG, recompressed with Snapseed to 95%), that I just mentioned, transfered via the Image Sync app and posted from my smartphone.
(Tho I'm not sure what attaching via Tapatalk may do to it...)
I didn't know image sync had an issue with GRIII, good thing it was resolved) and yeah Tapatalk annihilates image quality))

04-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't know image sync had an issue with GRIII, good thing it was resolved) and yeah Tapatalk annihilates image quality))
Yeah they announced some time back that it was not yet supported with the GRIII and quoted "late April" for an update to it. Right on schedule. I've never used it before.

04-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah they announced quite some time ago it was yet supported with the GRIII and quoted "late April" for an update to it. Right on schedule. I've never used it before.
I used it as a remote once and promptly purchased proper remotes lol. Back in it's v1 days it was just dreadful.

Ugh I can't wait to get the gr. I've moved back to the city and I want to do some street photography again

04-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used it as a remote once and promptly purchased proper remotes lol. Back in it's v1 days it was just dreadful.

Ugh I can't wait to get the gr. I've moved back to the city and I want to do some street photography again
So I've heard/read.

Yeah it's definitely not in the impulse purchase range at the moment.

04-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So I've heard/read.

Yeah it's definitely not in the impulse purchase range at the moment.
Agreed)

04-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #11

EDIT: I just turned of those aforementioned lamps so the only light in my living room was coming from bleed from two overheads in the kitchen, e.g. near darkness, and it was still locking on. Just snapped a 1.3 sec exposure at ISO 6400 f/4.5 and with IBIS I can read the lettering clearly on a remote control sitting on the coffee table 5 feet away. I'm impressed thus far.
This was enough for me to buy a GR III tonight. All I needed was confirmation that the firmware improved the low light autofocus close enough to the previous models.
04-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by messthetics Quote
This was enough for me to buy a GR III tonight. All I needed was confirmation that the firmware improved the low light autofocus close enough to the previous models.
I didn't struggle with it as much as some reports, but it's a very noticeable difference for certain.

04-23-2019, 04:27 AM   #13
Rjz

Image Sync App still incomplete

Hi Guys,

New GRiii firmware definitely improves on autofocus especially at night time but there are still below issues which need to be fixed -

[B](i) ImageSync App doesn't support Shooting mode (I guess not a biggie but it would be nice for those who are interested in selfie mode).

(ii) It didn't update my ios app automatically, I have to uninstall and reinstall again from the app store! It also didn't connect to my Wi-Fi of the phone in one go and I have to try multiple times for it to prompt for a password.

(iii) Last but not least: It can transfer the images to the ImageSync app but then I can't export in my photo library or neither I can share on social media. It seems stupid if I can't do anything with the images and it disappears as soon as the camera is a disconnect.

Finally: There is no comparison of images coming out of this camera : CLICK HERE !!!

Let me know if anyone else is having similar issues like mine?

Cheers
Rj
04-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh is claiming wireless transfer speeds 5x quicker than the GR II and they've posted a video to illustrate.

There's a post on the GR Blog by the app developer.

In Japanese
???????Image Sync??????????? ??????? | GR official | ??????????????

Horrible English through Google.
Google Translate
04-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't had a chance to update mine to give it a test. AF improvement sounds great.