Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As an update, the 1Ds got some younger company:

In case anybody wonders, the modification is more difficult on a 5DII, the corner of the mirror frame has to be removed to make enough room for the lenses.
Hopefully the current rumors regarding the Pentax FF will eventually come true and I won't need to do this another time.

02-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always want a 1Ds after looked at your post.

Here is my 5D + FA43. Had it for a year and it's pretty good.
02-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #63
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sweet! Did you butcher the lens or the camera?
02-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 721 Quote
Sweet! Did you butcher the lens or the camera?
It's a reversible modification to the FA43.
Both of the camera and the lens are in mint condition so I don't want to do any permanent modification.
I am still looking for a 1Ds body for the modification but then I saw sony RX1 and it's very nice.

02-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Awesome modification.

Just show how great Pentax lenses are on FF camera.
I have always use stitching to get the FF look, but not always work, especially moving object.

I want a PENTAX FF!
12-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #66

Finally got hold of an original 1DS after taking inspiration from this thread.
I had previously used an old IST DL with a couple of SMC A primes which I loved, but the sensor started to act peculiarly.

I've butchered two old prime lenses so far (rather than chop up the body)
i've struggled with the menu system etc. on the 1DS and some essential settings (ability to magnify playback shots on the screen) can only be changed via the PC software which I don't have.

Focussing manually seems more difficult than on the IST especially with the aperture closed/ dark viewfinder.. I'm after landscape stuff really so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Shooting tethered directly into lightroom on the Mac would be the holy grail for me but there seems to be a great deal of obstacles in my way (firewire/USB, OSX support, drivers etc.)

Tomorrow will be my first real day to try a few different shots and work out if i'm going to risk taking a couple more lenses apart.. Thanks to 721 for the inspiration to try something different (that first bike shot pretty much had me sold).
01-05-2014, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #67
Forum Member

Original Poster
Being an 11 year old camera, the 1Ds sure has its quirks. It took me a while to get used to the operation concept and interface but in a way, it has grown on me. Never had trouble with accidentally changing settings in the camera bag or when brushing somewhere for example. For manual focusing, I would recommend replacing the stock screen with the Ec-S screen (don't forget to calibrate!), makes a huge difference.
I mostly shoot with my 5D2 now, but still use the 1Ds as my second body. Despite its shortcomings compared to newer cameras, I still love it for its built quality. Using it simply feels much better than the 5D2.
01-06-2014, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

I updated my 5D1 to my 1Ds mark II now.
The 1Ds II can enlarge the picture without all the hassle on 1Ds.
However, to view the picture better, I recommend to get a Eye-fi or Toshiba Flashair card.
Easier and better if you have a large screen cell phone or ipad with you.

01-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #69

First go in daylight (well as near as i'm likely to get in December)

I have borrowed a 6 pin firewire cable which I hope to try with my macbook tonight - failing that I might well look at the wireless card route. The focussing screen i've never heard of.. is it a difficult job to fit/calibrate?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS-1DS  Photo 
01-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wish I saw this thread earlier.
I would have picked up courage and shaved off my 5D mirror rather than selling it for not much.

The 5D is very cheap now. (less than $500 in some cases; which its far better than any pns or early aps-c for this price)
Certainly worth a look to get for this modification if it works to mount the k-mount lenses.
02-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #71

Do you really have to dremel the body if you have one of those adapters where the Pentax lens is mounted at 2 O'clock instead of 12 O'clock?
Have bought a 5D after seeing your modification (for the use of Pentax K lenses), and am shaving the mirror at this very moment.

What's the problem (what damage will occur) if I only shave the mirror?
02-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #72
Veteran Member

You wouldn't be able to mount k Mount lens unless the aperture lever is removed. This is why he had to file the mirror box as well. The Mirror filing us usually done bcs some k Mount and m42 lens tend to protrude far into the canon body when they are close to infinity and the mirror ends up being blocked and hits them.

Last edited by oxidized; 02-26-2014 at 02:58 PM.
02-27-2014, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #73
Forum Member

Original Poster
Aside from not being able to mount it without dremeling the mirror box:
If you use a 2 o'clock adapter, the aperture lever and shield will collide with the mirror - unless you shave about 5mm off the mirror, which will very likely impede the image in the viewfinder and may give you various problems with the whole mirror mechanism.
02-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #74

Ok, thanks for the replie 721!
Was a bit puzzled as I am able to mount the K lenses, but your comment clarifies the other problems.
03-02-2014, 03:08 AM   #75
Forum Member

Original Poster
You can mount (turn and lock) an unmodified Pentax lens? That's odd, I see no way how that would be possible, not with the adapters I know.
I am curious, can you show pictures of the mirror box, the back of the lens and the adapter?