Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
impressive, I have considered doing this to my 1DSMKIII due to the fact that I am intending on buying a pentax 645D later this year and I will most likely never need to use it again, because I already use my nikon D3s for wildlife and I am quite happy with the results.
No need to. I am in a helpful mood today, so just send me your 1DsIII and you can have my MkI in exchange. Works with Pentax lenses out of the box and saves you all that bothersome trouble of modifying and maybe accidently killing your camera. And besides, who knows whether this even works with a MkIII at all, right?

Last edited by 721; 02-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.
02-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 721 Quote
No need to. I am in a helpful mood today, so just send me your 1DsIII and you can have my MkI in exchange. Works with Pentax lenses out of the box and saves you all that bothersome trouble of modifying and maybe accidently killing your camera. And besides, who knows whether this is even works with a MkIII at all, right?
Nice try

I have had the AA filter removed from this particular 1DsMkIII because I just got sick of how strong it was. I have been using the Leica M9 with a pentax K mount adapter and I have really enjoyed the benefits of the image quality of the M9. Thanks to a certain adapter from novoflex, it also gave me the opportunity to test certain pentax lenses against their Leica counterparts (The FA31mm f/1.8 holds it's own against the 35mm 'cron) but this setup has the drawback of having no RF coupling so it is basically a stunt for all intents and purposes and has little practical value. Being able to use the Pentax FA limiteds and the legendary Pentax SMCP 50mm f/1.2, FA*85mm f/1.4 FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro on my Canon 1DsMkIII is something I have not considered up until now.
02-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
So I just provided the solution to a problem you have been grappling with for a loooong time? You are welcome! To thank me, just send me your 1DsIII... oh, wait, we already had that before

Edit: Thinking about it, the M9 would be fine, too.
02-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
Vivitar 28mm/2.0 Close Focus wide open

05-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #50

beautiful shots. I'm kind of new to the idea of modifying canons to fit pentax lenses. When you said that you were able to use pentax lenses with aperture rings, does this mean that you can use your A series lenses in aperture mode or are they fully manual just like it would be if you modified a 5d mirror?

Last edited by kangeroo82; 05-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
05-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have had the AA filter removed from this particular 1DsMkIII because I just got sick of how strong it was. I have been using the Leica M9 with a pentax K mount adapter and I have really enjoyed the benefits of the image quality of the M9.
Not related to FF at all, but have you considered removing the AA filter from a K-5 and checking the IQ? Is such surgery even possible?
05-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Not related to FF at all, but have you considered removing the AA filter from a K-5 and checking the IQ? Is such surgery even possible?
i'm sure it is but don't expect your warranty to cover it should anything go wrong.

but it did improve the IQ from my canon DSLR quite substantially...but of course it increased the chance that moire would rear it's ugly head.

05-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job 721, very gutsy (and worth it) indeed! I love the motorcycle shot.

I've been considering doing the same on a Sigma SD1 when it comes out, albeit I'm not sure what it'll entail on the new 1.5 crop sensor mirror box. Regardless, you've inspired me to look into it!
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reading up on the Photozone forums it seems that the AA filter cannot be replaced on the K-5. Not even by expert Germans who charge 500 Euro for the job (Optik Makario).
05-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #55
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote
beautiful shots. I'm kind of new to the idea of modifying canons to fit pentax lenses. When you said that you were able to use pentax lenses with aperture rings, does this mean that you can use your A series lenses in aperture mode or are they fully manual just like it would be if you modified a 5d mirror?
There is no communication whatsoever between the lens and the camera, so the aperture has to be set by aperture ring. The A-button on A-series lenses is functionless. Of course one can still use Av-Mode on the camera, but it is stop-down metering only.
I do not think I get what this has to do with mirror shaving (?), though. Care to elaborate?
05-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #56

I think I remember that the other person that modified their Canon 5d shaved their mirror and then cut off the lens' aperture lever. I was thinking since you didn't modify your lens in any fashion that you might be able to use Av mode if you used an EMF PK to Canon EOS adapter that states it supports Av as well as manual.

EMF AF Confirm Pentax PK Lens to Canon EOS EF Adapter | eBay
05-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah, I see. Well yes, I can use Av Mode. But the aperture cannot be set via camera dial but via the aperture ring instead. Unfortunately that also means that the aperture stops down once I turn the aperture ring (and the viewfinder gets darker) instead of staying wide open until the shutter release is being pressed.
This is no different with the adapter that you linked. Apart from the option to add EXIF-data, the only effect the attached chip has is to produce a confirmation light and sound once the camera thinks that the image is in focus. From what I have heard this is anything but precise, so I never bothered with it. A proper, calibrated focusing screen is most certainly the better choice.

On a sidenote, it is essential to have the lens mounted at 12 o'clock on the camera here. Which, if I am not mistaken, the adapter linked above does not.
06-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #58

On a sidenote, it is essential to have the lens mounted at 12 o'clock on the camera here. Which, if I am not mistaken, the adapter linked above does not.
Wonderful work. You mention that you need an lens adapter that mounts the lens at 12 o'clock? Is this a particular brand of adapter you bought that does this? Or did you make a modification to one?

Which lens adapter did you use and did it require any alteration on your part in order to work with your mirror box modification?

Thanks.
06-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #59
Forum Member

Original Poster
No alterations to the adapter whatsoever, you just have to find one that mounts the lens at 12 o'clock. Which, unlike a few years ago when all PK-EOS-adapters were like this, is not an easy task.

There are some mentioned in a thread over at mflenses. I own some of the black phototools24 adapters that are being reviewed. They are a bit more expensive than the standard brass ones, but they fit pretty well and infinity seems to be spot on which is important for lenses with floating elements, fixed rear-element extension and the like.

But as long as the adapter mounts the lens at 12 o'clock, it should work with any of them. I even tried modifying a cheap 2-o'clock brass adapter first, but it was just too much of a hassle.
06-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're insane....

Almost pocketable...

By the way, in case somebody else makes his Canon FF undergo that little surgery, I would be curious to read and see of it here.
in the BEST possible way - absolutely ******* brilliant!

Why don't you see if you can shoehorn a full frame sensor into an old Contax 645 so you can use some old Zeiss medium format glass?

And GREAT shots, btw.

Cheers,
Cameron