Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #1891
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think 645D still has about 2 years left in it (with some price drops before then). It's a very different market not as driven by the constant change. But i do think they probably already have built some Ff 645 prototypes (heck all you'd have to do is change the sensor to prototype it)
Well when a K-5 successor and a new Full Frame camera see the market with new and faster electronics then there is a need for upgrading the 645D. So only a new electronic lay-out or also a new larger sensor. It would be strange to let the 645D run on PRIME II processor for another two years.

12-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #1892
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well when a K-5 successor and a new Full Frame camera see the market with new and faster electronics then there is a need for upgrading the 645D. So only a new electronic lay-out or also a new larger sensor. It would be strange to let the 645D run on PRIME II processor for another two years.
A new prime processor, dual slots (likely including 1 XQD by the time it arrives - write speed is a bigger issue the bigger the file gets and a FF 645 will be at least 60 MP), Tethering and faster flash sync if they want to pursue the studio market (not certain they do - and a leaf lens would address the sync somewhat so a re-released leaf lens)
Better AF points. Hassy has a smarter AF system in MF.

Thing is nothing develops fast in the MF world whether its phase, hassy, leica or Pentax. It's just not the land of pixel peeping geeks who want more more more all the time it's mostly a land of people who take photos
12-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #1893
Veteran Member

That's probably because in the MF realm, their worst camera will produce images at LEAST on par with the best in the FF market.. That and if your spending $10K + on a body alone.. your going to research, buy, and be happy with what you chose.
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #1894
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
He-he...The price is the main factor to be for APS-C cameras.
Price?
1) I found the EVF of Sony NEX-5n to be superior over the K-5. It's brighter, larger. It's much more useful for manual focusing.
2) I bought leica super elmar 18 (28mm is about the ideal focal length in wide range for me), and the IQ is much superior over anything pentax has for this FOV. The closest is Pentax K-5 + Distagon 18/3.5, but this CZ is not as good as leica being SLR lens. And the camera+lens weights much more, it's bulky and nex-5n + leica is better balanced.
3) Superior metering. By known reasons.
4) Mininum mechanical parts. This means lesser sample variation.

The only real disadvantages of mirrorless today are:
1) AF speed, but this gap will soon be annihilated and surpassed by the new generation of sensor-based defocus estimation approaches, like this one: http://jburge.cps.utexas.edu/research/Home_files/BurgeGeisler_PNAS_2011.pdf
2) Short battery life. Don't know how long this will be the issue.

12-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #1895
Loyal Site Supporter

what about noise caused by heat. AFAIK that is an issue for all mirrorless (and all DSLR in Live view/movie mode)
12-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #1896
Veteran Member

A new prime processor
The company that makes the processors came out with the new line mid this year so most likely a new PRIME will be introduced in next years camera.
The new chip support h.264 for those that do video on their DSLR.

I hope they can give the current 645D an upgrade for a small fee, it would probably make the camera a bit faster and therefore better for studio photography.
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #1897
Pentaxian

what about noise caused by heat. AFAIK that is an issue for all mirrorless (and all DSLR in Live view/movie mode)
The NEX-5N is only slightly noisier than K-5. So no real problem here.
12-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #1898
Veteran Member

And don't forget battery drain and the lag you've with EVF

QuoteQuote:
1) I found the EVF of Sony NEX-5n to be superior over the K-5. It's brighter, larger. It's much more useful for manual focusing.
The viewfinder of the K5 is very decent and indeed in poorlight EVF will be better but for those instance you can also turn on Liveview on the K5 so i don't see that as a plus-point.

12-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #1899
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
The NEX-5N is only slightly noisier than K-5. So no real problem here.
Over what kind of time span are we talking, use the camera for half an hour and then compare.
12-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #1900
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
this isn't new. eversince slrs went digital. it's not like carrying a spare battery is a new trend.

QuoteQuote:
The viewfinder of the K5 is very decent and indeed in poorlight EVF will be better but for those instance you can also turn on Liveview on the K5 so i don't see that as a plus-point.
K-5 VF is decent, but no where as good as the present day EVFs whether if it's normal day shooting or lowlight, it is just dimmer and small. the point of preferring VF is not preferring to use Live View. so LV is not even a good excuse for insufficient VF.
12-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #1901
Veteran Member

Over what kind of time span are we talking, use the camera for half an hour and then compare.
they work just fine after half an hour and so on. so it's not even an issue.
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #1902
Pentaxian

With SLR you have significant shutter lag. And it's highly unlikely there's room for improvement. But this is different story with EVF. They can increase read speed as well as processing speed. The battery drain is different story of course. IMO it's the most sophisticated problem now.

QuoteQuote:
Oh, well. Does the K-5's have some sort of peaking? Magnification?
It's just small APS-C viewfinder. And they haven't even utilize EVF properly now: there's no good method to choose magnification center. I hope they will implement something like object tracking in order to get "catch-compose-magnify" workflow. This will dramatically improve EVF-based manual focus expirience. But it's already much better for manual focusing.

Last edited by Emacs; 12-12-2011 at 02:29 PM.
12-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #1903
Forum Member

This rumour today is quite interesting: Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Again a rumor about the Pentax APS-C mirrorless camera...

"“According to my source, Pentax will release a 35mm full-frame DSLR and an APS-C EVIL (mirror-less) in 2012. No other details were given except that the source seemed to believe the full-frame model will likely use a Sony 24MP sensor.”

Last edited by markac; 12-12-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: More info
12-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #1904
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Price?
You can convince yourself of any thing - it's easy...But, no need to insist on it.

It's so naive and nice - to buy new toys and to praise new toys.
12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #1905
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
This rumour today is quite interesting: Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Again a rumor about the Pentax APS-C mirrorless camera...

"“According to my source, Pentax will release a 35mm full-frame DSLR and an APS-C EVIL (mirror-less) in 2012. No other details were given except that the source seemed to believe the full-frame model will likely use a Sony 24MP sensor.”
This FF thing is just Pete Fang's source (from his dpreview thread,) being referenced again - not another new source...