Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #1921
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm Pentax FullFrame with good high Iso (no, I'm not a 'I want 300000 noiseless iso type of guy', good is enough) with

Samyang 14/2.8
Samyang 24/1.4
Samyang 35/1.4
Pentax 50/1.7 or /1.4 (have those already)
Samyang 85/1.4

All of these perfectly usable with my MX, KX, SuperA ... and possible to pay for.

I have to admit the idea is lovely

12-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #1922
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The argument that technology will advance is only valid up untill a certain point.
Battery performance/density/storage/whatever is another limiting factor on small camera design, especially those cramming more and more electronic systems. The evolution of battery performance isn't following Moore's Law.
12-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #1923
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Imagine, even IF all that would happen in our lifetime... Then all those features will generate an amount of heat that all the gained weight and size improvements would be used up on heat sinks or even active cooling. Draining battery-life even quicker.

ONLY 250 shots?!?! I go on trips where I don't see a powerplug for weeks. My two batteries are good enough to fill up my two 32gb SD cards. And then I still have spare juice left.

And don't let Emacs get to you. He must have extremely delicate features to value such small devices as highly as he does. I even preferred the big solid K20D feel over the K5; the K5's is so small that my hands often have trouble finding the small buttons. My K5 + DA40 pancake fits into my jacket's inside pocket. Going even smaller would classify such a camera as handbag-material, together with a mirror and lipstick.

There already is a wide range of products for people that want ultra-portability with the sacrifice of useability, IQ, ergonomics, battery-life and features. Those products are called point-and-shoots and even cellphonecameras.

The argument that technology will advance is only valid up untill a certain point. Eventually the amount of megapixels will be limited to the size of the sensor. You cannot pump unlimited pixels on the same sensor size. Eventually diffraction will limit this. After that, bigger will again equal better. And technology will not fix that, the diffraction is a property of light. So in that context: the only product with the future for the pro/prosumer-market here are the big "bulky" cameras.

the current trend with electronics is to power, portability and energy efficiency. if you had noticed over the recent years and taking into account how these electronic equipments were, the recent processors use less heat generating, energy efficient and ultra-compact processors that using an oversized and multiple fans are a thing of the past. as a benefit also, the production of such electronic equipment made the cost effective than old generation equipment.
12-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #1924
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the current trend with electronics is to power, portability and energy efficiency. if you had noticed over the recent years and taking into account how these electronic equipments were, the recent processors use less heat generating, energy efficient and ultra-compact processors that using an oversized and multiple fans are a thing of the past. as a benefit also, the production of such electronic equipment made the cost effective than old generation equipment.
Did you stop reading after two lines? >250 shots for a single battery charge is NOT energy efficient or powerfull. Nor can we consider that "portable" as one would hang that thing more to a charger then shooting with it.

12-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #1925
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm Pentax FullFrame with good high Iso (no, I'm not a 'I want 300000 noiseless iso type of guy', good is enough) with

Samyang 14/2.8
Samyang 24/1.4
Samyang 35/1.4
Pentax 50/1.7 or /1.4 (have those already)
Samyang 85/1.4

All of these perfectly usable with my MX, KX, SuperA ... and possible to pay for.

I have to admit the idea is lovely
Yep. I was on the verge of ordering that Samyang 14/2.8 for my D700, now perhaps I'll wait a little bit to see what shakes out here.

12-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #1926
Veteran Member

Did you stop reading after two lines? >250 shots for a single battery charge is NOT energy efficient or powerfull. Nor can we consider that "portable" as one would hang that thing more to a charger then shooting with it.
is your understanding with the term electronic equipment limited to only one particular type of product? c'mon, expand your common sense.

as to your basic elementary problem, I guess carrying an extra 2 spare batteries is too much for you to carry using your pinky. yes, even with spares, you won't break your neck or make you feel like carrying a cow in your pocket. you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

batteries have different charges and some have longer shooting duration and they will continuously evolve. camera equipment will also evolve on bringing in balance on how to efficiently conserve energy while performing at their best.
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #1927
Veteran Member

I would not be happy with only 250 shots per charge.. The other night I setup my K-5 with grip and shot 812 images for time lapse after shooting a bit during the day.. still had plenty of juice in the cells after... come to think of it, I should throw at least the battery from the grip on the charger now. 250 images per charge would be like saying "This studio camera comes with an AC adapter and you can walk around with your cord plugged in."

12-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #1928
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
Over the years the camera industry has regarded anything from 42 to 58mm as standard or normal focal length. Semi-wides such as 38 and 40 were also adopted for 35mm compacts. Another school of thought says the diagonal of the full frame, i.e. 43mm, provides an 'ideal' or 'natural' perspective, hence Pentax's 43/f1.9. How 50mm was adopted as the standard when back in the Sixties Pentax and several others favoured 55 or 58, isn't clear.

What we're seriously lacking for APS-C is a decent, affordable 28mm/f2.8 to do the job of the excellent FF 43mm.
I would think that the FA Ltd 31/1.8 is the ideal, semi-fast standard lens. It might be not quite affordbale now, but in all other respects it is a fantastic lens. I personally would forego any standard lens with a slow f/2.8 max. aperture. A very good substitute is the FA 35/2.0, by the way. Slightly longer than a standard lens measured by the sensor diagonal, but still near enough, I think.

Ben
12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #1929
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I would think that the FA Ltd 31/1.8 is the ideal, semi-fast standard lens. It might be not quite affordbale now, but in all other respects it is a fantastic lens. I personally would forego any standard lens with a slow f/2.8 max. aperture. A very good substitute is the FA 35/2.0, by the way. Slightly longer than a standard lens measured by the sensor diagonal, but still near enough, I think.

Ben
My favourite standard on my film bodies is my 50 1.4 or the 1.7. - to acheive the same look i need a 35 f1.0 - i don't see that being available for the same $400 I can get an FA50 1.4 for Ff
If the 43 was what i wanted for FF (and I wouldn't mind it at all) then I'd need a 28 f1.2 - also not likely to be had for the price of a 43ltd.

I may not use these lenses wide open on FF all the time, but if I use a 50 1.4 @ f4 it's like using a 35 2.5 wide open. but the 50 will be much sharper
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #1930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
With SLR you have significant shutter lag. And it's highly unlikely there's room for improvement. But this is different story with EVF. They can increase read speed as well as processing speed. The battery drain is different story of course. IMO it's the most sophisticated problem now.
In most evil camera's there is still a shutter

I've seen some test with LCD shutters, maybe those will see the day soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Oh, well. Does the K-5's have some sort of peaking? Magnification?
It's just small APS-C viewfinder. And they haven't even utilize EVF properly now: there's no good method to choose magnification center. I hope they will implement something like object tracking in order to get "catch-compose-magnify" workflow. This will dramatically improve EVF-based manual focus expirience. But it's already much better for manual focusing.
It has magnification, it's under a button when you use liveview, you can even apply magnification on the viewfinder.
Peaking is purely software, I beleive Rocih use something like that for their camera's no idea if the Q has it or not.
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #1931
Veteran Member

is your understanding with the term electronic equipment limited to only one particular type of product? c'mon, expand your common sense.

as to your basic elementary problem, I guess carrying an extra 2 spare batteries is too much for you to carry using your pinky. yes, even with spares, you won't break your neck or make you feel like carrying a cow in your pocket. you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

batteries have different charges and some have longer shooting duration and they will continuously evolve. camera equipment will also evolve on bringing in balance on how to efficiently conserve energy while performing at their best.
Still won't read beyond those same two lines hey?

None of your arguments will enable me to use such a tiny camera. Like for example, the Nex 5. Tried that one, and it's impossible for me to operate the tiny buttons. I cannot image any man really comfortably using such a device.

And then there's the thing I said about diffraction. Sorry, I'm not going to chew that one again for you.
12-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #1932
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
250 images per charge would be like saying "This studio camera comes with an AC adapter and you can walk around with your cord plugged in."
except that actual studio cameras are bigger, heavier and need a sturdy big tripod. so which do you think is more practical and convenient? carry 2-3 spares of small cell in your pocket or bring a bulky and heavy set studio equipments?
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #1933
Veteran Member

this isn't new. eversince slrs went digital. it's not like carrying a spare battery is a new trend.
it isn't but i can now easily do with one battery and one as spare.
If the processor, sensor and a screen is almost constantly on i'll surely need an extra battery and then i would also want a spare as well for just in case.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it isn't a negative feature of the EVF.
12-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #1934
Veteran Member

ONLY 250 shots?!?! I go on trips where I don't see a powerplug for weeks. My two batteries are good enough to fill up my two 32gb SD cards. And then I still have spare juice left.
Sony A77
Electronic Viewfinder,(CIPA standard) 470 shots

Sony NEX7
(CIPA standard, EVF) 350 shots

Pentax K5
Optical Viewfinder, (CIPA standard) 740 shots

So i don't know what camera you use or how many batteries you've....
12-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #1935
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
In most evil camera's there is still a shutter
And it's noisier than the K-5 shutter + mirror slap