Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #1936
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot over 1300 with the K-5 on a single charge at a show the other day and left will the display showing full battery.

Just sayin'

12-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #1937
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
And it's noisier than the K-5 shutter + mirror slap
like you were saying that dslrs were not noisier to begin with. the current mirrorless are much damper than the previous dslrs and some of the current ones as well. it's not like the evil couldn't make themselves evolve to much more silent operation as well.
12-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #1938
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
like you were saying that dslrs were not noisier to begin with. the current mirrorless are much damper than the previous dslrs and some of the current ones as well. it's not like the evil couldn't make themselves evolve to much more silent operation as well.
They will probably become completely silent when global shutters are implemented, but what's your point? There's a lot of talk about "futureware" in this thread, and I have no doubt that one day, SLRs will be a thing of the past. But my point was really that currently K-5 is so silent that it's even more silent than mirrorless cameras (I don't have a K-5 myself, but I recently compared it to the Olympus E-P3).
12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #1939
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
They will probably become completely silent when global shutters are implemented, but what's your point? There's a lot of talk about "futureware" in this thread, and I have no doubt that one day, SLRs will be a thing of the past. But my point was really that currently K-5 is so silent that it's even more silent than mirrorless cameras (I don't have a K-5 myself, but I recently compared it to the Olympus E-P3).
K5 and K7 are quiet, but compared to a leica (the oldest mirrorless on the market) it's loud. compared to some of my leaf shutter stuff the leica is loud
it's all relative. The K5& are definitely quiet enough to be effective street cameras with a ltd pancake they are small enough as well (though an m9-p is still superior for this use and generally only draws attention of camera people)

12-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #1940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
K5 and K7 are quiet, but compared to a leica (the oldest mirrorless on the market) it's loud. compared to some of my leaf shutter stuff the leica is loud
it's all relative. The K5& are definitely quiet enough to be effective street cameras with a ltd pancake they are small enough as well (though an m9-p is still superior for this use and generally only draws attention of camera people)
I was just wondering... I've read a few times that the K-5's shutter (which is less noisy than the one in the K-7) is less loud than that of the Leica. Who is right?
12-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I was just wondering... I've read a few times that the K-5's shutter (which is less noisy than the one in the K-7) is less loud than that of the Leica. Who is right?
I've not seen them side by side, I've tried both I would still give the edge to Leica (no mirror-slap). the shutter itself on the K5 may well be quieter if you shot mirror up

the shutter on my brother in laws Minolta Autocord TLR is quieter than either of them. (so is the shutter on my super 23 mamiya) Mirror up the shutter on my bronica 645 is also very quiet. but if the mirror is down it slaps very loudly that big MF mirrorbox is like an echo chamber

There must be someone over on RFF who shoots both I would think (there are a surprising number of Pentax fans over there)

Some of the old folders i've used are virtually silent (just a click) but hardly easy to use.
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #1942

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I shot over 1300 with the K-5 on a single charge at a show the other day and left will the display showing full battery.

Just sayin'
++;

Multiple times I've shot 1000+ pics at events using a single battery with my K-7 still showing full charge. I am actually surprised when people tell me they only get a couple of hundreds shots from their DSLRs.

12-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #1943
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
++;

Multiple times I've shot 1000+ pics at events using a single battery with my K-7 still showing full charge. I am actually surprised when people tell me they only get a couple of hundreds shots from their DSLRs.
Older DSLR got less. but with 4 Lithium Ion Energisers I could still shoot about 650-700 on my ds, I got about 500 on rechargeables.
My K10 with grip (so 2 batteries) I've shot as many as 12-1500 in a day without a charge
My K7 I've never really measured it, but i can use it for a week of walking around shooting moderately without charging with 1 battery
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #1944
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Older DSLR got less. but with 4 Lithium Ion Energisers I could still shoot about 650-700 on my ds, I got about 500 on rechargeables.
The lithium ion batteries (non-rechargeable ones) perform outrageously well on the newer bodies. The set that came with my K-x lasted over 2100 shots! (granted there was pretty minimal flash and LV use, but still).
12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #1945
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the current trend with electronics is to power, portability and energy efficiency. if you had noticed over the recent years and taking into account how these electronic equipments were, the recent processors use less heat generating, energy efficient and ultra-compact processors that using an oversized and multiple fans are a thing of the past. as a benefit also, the production of such electronic equipment made the cost effective than old generation equipment.

Mouahahaha LOL
The trend rather seems to get people's brain completely eaten by marketing sh*t.
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #1946

2012:

135/APS-H K-3 ?
APS-C K-5 mk2 / K-30 ?

I'd buy the former.
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #1947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The lithium ion batteries (non-rechargeable ones) perform outrageously well on the newer bodies. The set that came with my K-x lasted over 2100 shots! (granted there was pretty minimal flash and LV use, but still).
Did you get that backwards? Our rechargeable K-5/7/10D batteries are Li-ion and the AAs with the K-X are lithium primary batteries.

Other than nomenclature, you have it right. I approached 1,500 images on my K-X with lithium (Energizer, perhaps?) and many hundreds with NiMH.

Genuine Pentax Li-ion last me 400-800 images easily with generous chimping but no LV or video.

I don't even think how many cool events (with accompanying Time Lord sounds) I can get on my sonic screwdriver with a single electrical charge or piezo-resistant capsule of deuterium hepto-hawkingium. But to keep it safe, I usually keep it in the inside pocket of my hemi-demi-semi-formal cutaway jacket that I got from Jame Retief when he retired. Spare battery in my left trainer, spare hawkingium vial in my right. All set!
12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #1948
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
2012:

135/APS-H K-3 ?
APS-C K-5 mk2 / K-30 ?

I'd buy the former.
I'd rather have the full frame
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #1949
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Sony A77
Electronic Viewfinder,(CIPA standard) 470 shots

Sony NEX7
(CIPA standard, EVF) 350 shots

Pentax K5
Optical Viewfinder, (CIPA standard) 740 shots

So i don't know what camera you use or how many batteries you've....
After seeing your comment, I retrieved and read the CIPA standard. It may not measure what you assume. A CIPA shot comprises:
- the shot
- a motor zoom operation (if the lens is powered)
- a 50% flash (every second shot must be flash at full force)
- 30s idle time

So, a camera w/o flash has a huge advantage here. Moreover, the speed by which the camera switches the display off during the idle time has a major impact (factory settings must be used).

A K-5 with no flash and taking bursts of shots will outperform CIPA by a large margin.

The K-5's 740 shots correspond to 370 min or 6h of continous operation! In practise, a K-5 easily does 2000 shots on a single charge. The time needed to compose an image by looking thru the VF is not specified by CIPA (read zero). But I guess, it is this composition time which draws most current per shot for a mirrorless camera.

Therefore, I consider the CIPA battery life to be a bad indicator for battery life comparison between an optical and electrinic VF camera. Another thing learned
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #1950
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mouahahaha LOL
The trend rather seems to get people's brain completely eaten by marketing sh*t.
who doesn't?