Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #2041
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Because aperture and focus are things of the past. Sweet.
Liquid crystal aperture and liquid lenses are some ways of changing focus and aperture without moving parts.
Samsung files patent for liquid zoom lens

But I doubt we will see this in large sensor cameras anytime soon.

01-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #2042
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Because aperture and focus are things of the past. Sweet.
Aperture at least, needn't be mechanical. There's various materials that can have their opacity manipulated with an electrical charge.
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #2043
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
The Lytro camera is pretty close to that concept, even if it does suck. Future is going to be interesting for photography...

The more I want to keep with a traditional dslr. Does all this future technology really help the photographer or is it new for being new and lower the manufacturing price of the camera? I guess I am becoming a Luddite.
01-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #2044
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The more I want to keep with a traditional dslr. Does all this future technology really help the photographer or is it new for being new and lower the manufacturing price of the camera? I guess I am becoming a Luddite.
new means better doesn't it *snark*

01-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #2045
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Aperture at least, needn't be mechanical. There's various materials that can have their opacity manipulated with an electrical charge.
High on the list of things I DON'T want are additional layers of glass and other materials between the sensor and the lens.

So generally I'd prefer a mechanical shutter (or on-chip electronic global shutter) and a mechanical iris.
01-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #2046
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
High on the list of things I DON'T want are additional layers of glass and other materials between the sensor and the lens.

So generally I'd prefer a mechanical shutter (or on-chip electronic global shutter) and a mechanical iris.
there are various material but i'm with you, mechanical aperture is a very tried and true tech (having been around for the better part of a century or more)
if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Perhaps Global shutters can provide a benefit though
01-10-2012, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #2047
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
What do you think about this professionals opinnion: DSLRs are a dying breed – 3rd Gen Cameras are the Future
Hysterical! Try telling this to pros. "Soon you won't want to use your 1Ds mk III, and all your f2.8 L glass, because there will be something smaller."

You must understand, image quality isn't the main concern of the professional photographer, it is the ONLY concern. If you give a pro the choice between lugging around a big camera and lens for maximum image quality, or a smaller camera with say 80% of the image quality, 9 out of 10 will choose the larger camera and deal with the ramifications of weight and size. There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns with cameras, and pro bodies and lenses are well beyond that point. They're heavy, bulky, and expensive. but in a field where one needs every edge he or she can get to distinguish themselves from the crowd, that is where the DSLR will always have a home. After all, the viewer/client/art director doesn't know or care what you went through to get the shot, only "this is a stunning image."

No, the DSLR is not going away, because pros won't give up their tried-and-true systems. And semi-pros, aspiring pros, and enthusiasts will want to use what the pros are using so that they may one day enter the elite ranks. Where the mirrorless camera will do well is with the folks who consider the alternatives, and judge that size is more important than maximum image quality. Historically for these consumers, the options have been unappealing, P&S or bridge cameras lacking in both IQ and controls, but now there are acceptable alternatives to the traditional SLR design, and those users can jump ship without a serious loss in IQ compared to their consumer-grade gear.
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #2048
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Hysterical! Try telling this to pros. "Soon you won't want to use your 1Ds mk III, and all your f2.8 L glass, because there will be something smaller."

You must understand, image quality isn't the main concern of the professional photographer, it is the ONLY concern. If you give a pro the choice between lugging around a big camera and lens for maximum image quality, or a smaller camera with say 80% of the image quality, 9 out of 10 will choose the larger camera and deal with the ramifications of weight and size. There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns with cameras, and pro bodies and lenses are well beyond that point. They're heavy, bulky, and expensive. but in a field where one needs every edge he or she can get to distinguish themselves from the crowd, that is where the DSLR will always have a home. After all, the viewer/client/art director doesn't know or care what you went through to get the shot, only "this is a stunning image."

No, the DSLR is not going away, because pros won't give up their tried-and-true systems. And semi-pros, aspiring pros, and enthusiasts will want to use what the pros are using so that they may one day enter the elite ranks. Where the mirrorless camera will do well is with the folks who consider the alternatives, and judge that size is more important than maximum image quality. Historically for these consumers, the options have been unappealing, P&S or bridge cameras lacking in both IQ and controls, but now there are acceptable alternatives to the traditional SLR design, and those users can jump ship without a serious loss in IQ compared to their consumer-grade gear.

there is a whole thread dedicated to his opinion. BTW. and just about every respondent disagreed

For his limited pro business of travel photography (man he overuses HDR) maybe it's sufficient, but to me he's just another blogger looking for hooks to get hits

for guys who shoot professionally the same stuff he does like the nat geo crew i'm pretty sure they will stick with DSLR (and in some cases MF DSLR like the 645D). there # 1 concern is best quality possible.

01-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #2049
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Aperature can only be mechanical... What you are talking about is just a variable Neutral density filter, that would never cut out the out of focus light that causes changes in depth of field, such a system would only ever have the one depth of field IE:the sallowest that the lenses maximum aperature would give. What would be the point of that, the camera would never be anything more that a P&S. To make an electronic set of aperature rings on a surface of a filter could technically be done, where the rings turn completely black and cut the light out altogether, but the amount it would change the non-blocked areas would cause a huge loss in light and IQ due to the LED crystals that would still be in the light path.
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #2050
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
You must understand, image quality isn't the main concern of the professional photographer, it is the ONLY concern.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
for guys who shoot professionally the same stuff he does like the nat geo crew i'm pretty sure they will stick with DSLR (and in some cases MF DSLR like the 645D). there # 1 concern is best quality possible.
I honestly thought that photography enthusiasts were also very concerned with having the best image quality. That goes for me at least. That's why I went with Pentax. It was the best image quality my budget could get at the time. If I could afford a 645D, I would. And yes, I would lug it around the same way I take my K5 everywhere.
01-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #2051
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I honestly thought that photography enthusiasts were also very concerned with having the best image quality. That goes for me at least. That's why I went with Pentax. It was the best image quality my budget could get at the time. If I could afford a 645D, I would. And yes, I would lug it around the same way I take my K5 everywhere.
I agree most enthiusiast have exactly the same concern. and like you I'd have a 645d if i had the cash. I don't so I'll live with what I have, but i don't see mirrorless holding any huge appeal for me aside from the retro design and RF functionality of a camera like the XP1 - but it could never be my only camera and my DSLR kit will be more useful in many cases

the blog referenced made a Bald statement that he probably knew would rive discussion and therefore traffic to his site. that of course is how he makes money on the site so it worked for him
I've been with Pentax for eons now (on and off since 73) but i have also shot with the big 2. I choose to stay with Pentax because invariably they have best met my needs - Design,Ergonomics/price etc. And I like the rendering of the lenses. to be honest though i could just as easily be happy with Nikon, I certainly was when I had my Nikon F setup
I have yet to see a mirrorless setup I could be happy with as my only setup though (the new XP1 being the closest but it misses on some things i will still need my SLR for and My 645 and 6x7 still have their uses as well_
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2052
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that there aren't enthusiasts out there who don't have the pro mentality that "image quality is everything", I am one myself.

My "go bag" weighs 35 pounds, contains 2 bodies, 10 lenses, 2 flashes, a laptop, a light meter, colorchecker passport, filters, 3 collapsible soft boxes, wireless triggers, chargers, and enough batteries to light up Las Vegas. I can strap my 5 pound tripod to it which frees up my hands and allows me to carry my 3 monolights in my other hand, sling my light stands across my back and still have a free hand to open doors, or carry a hiking stick. I bought the "small" bag so I could still fit it on an airplane Size and weight are not a concern to me, having my gear is. Having great image quality definitely is. If I thought that putting on a tutu and dancing Swan Lake before every photoshoot would somehow help my image quality, I'd do it.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 01-10-2012 at 03:09 PM.
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #2053
Pentaxian

It depends on the pro surely? Portrait people are all about the best quality, hence high megapixel, generally MF SLRs that can be precisely focused. More field based photographers are not all about quality though, in my experience. They're much more interested in good controls, responsiveness and maximum durability. Excellent image quality is a must obviously, but a pro would never make a mirrorless camera their workhorse simply because none of them are built to be workhorses.

Pentax need to make a workhorse camera with workhorse lenses to be considered for pro use. I wouldn't invest in a brand that doesn't offer a camera built specifically to last as long as possible. The K-5 was a good effort, and the best as far as APS-C goes (how does the 7D stack up?), but it's still not up to D?? 1D? series standards. Methinks

It's what made the LX so amazingly awesome. Then again, the MZ-S clearly failed at what it was supposed to do. Can anyone tell me why?
01-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #2054
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Portrait people are all about the best quality, hence high megapixel, generally MF SLRs that can be precisely focused. More field based photographers are not all about quality though, in my experience. They're much more interested in good controls, responsiveness and maximum durability.
Careful not to confuse more MP with quality. Even though technology continues to improve, there's only so many pixels you can pull from the same size of sensor. I'd still rather see a 16-18 MP FF than a 24 MP offering from Pentax. That probably won't happen though, but I'd hate to see anything bigger than 24 MP.

I think you're right about many field photographers though.

Pentax need to make a workhorse camera with workhorse lenses to be considered for pro use. I wouldn't invest in a brand that doesn't offer a camera built specifically to last as long as possible. The K-5 was a good effort, and the best as far as APS-C goes (how does the 7D stack up?), but it's still not up to D?? 1D? series standards. Methinks

It's what made the LX so amazingly awesome. Then again, the MZ-S clearly failed at what it was supposed to do. Can anyone tell me why?
Yes, they do. The K10 and 20D were great examples of workhorse cameras. While some may think my K10D is obsolete it still takes great pictures and will continue to until Pentax makes something more appealing to me.

Pentax has a good history of reliable equipment, even more so than the LX. I think the LX system also added to the awesomeness, but if I were to show an example of durability it would be my K1000 hands down. For anybody thinking my K10D or K1000 is obsolete, both cameras will still be working years from now. On the other hand, like many here I'm ready for Pentax to release a nice FF. Until then I guess I'll be content to use my always-aging five year old DSLR.
01-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #2055
Pentaxian

Yarr, I've heard many a good thing about the K20D. Digital photography seems to have forgotten that cameras which took great photos when they were released still do. Especially if you're working with plenty of light and don't need the high ISOs, the K20D sounds like a steal at the prices it's going at. I recommended one to my dad, but he thought it was outdated... It's like cameras more than a generation or two old suddenly seem to lose all ability to take photos in the eyes of most people.

Never gotten my mitts on a K1000, but it does sound like a bit of a dream.