Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2056
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Yarr, I've heard many a good thing about the K20D. Digital photography seems to have forgotten that cameras which took great photos when they were released still do. Especially if you're working with plenty of light and don't need the high ISOs, the K20D sounds like a steal at the prices it's going at. I recommended one to my dad, but he thought it was outdated... It's like cameras more than a generation or two old suddenly seem to lose all ability to take photos in the eyes of most people.

Never gotten my mitts on a K1000, but it does sound like a bit of a dream.
agreed. The K20D was a fantastic camera when I had it. I traded it towards my K5. If my wife told me BEFORE i traded the K20 away that she wanted her own DSLR to learn and play with I would have kept the K20D for her. Luckily they are getting cheap enough I can scoop one for her.

I would love a FF pentax. I hope one gets released within the year, because I plan on buying a Nikon FF next year if Pentax doesn't come out with one.

01-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #2057
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Yarr, I've heard many a good thing about the K20D. Digital photography seems to have forgotten that cameras which took great photos when they were released still do. Especially if you're working with plenty of light and don't need the high ISOs, the K20D sounds like a steal at the prices it's going at. I recommended one to my dad, but he thought it was outdated... It's like cameras more than a generation or two old suddenly seem to lose all ability to take photos in the eyes of most people.

Never gotten my mitts on a K1000, but it does sound like a bit of a dream.
I often say I wish the K20D was a crappier camera, so I could justify an upgrade to a K-5 more easily

01-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #2058
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
...so I could justify an upgrade to a K-5 more easily

Meaning you've already justified it, anyway, right?
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #2059
Inactive Account

re:

Liking the sound of this!!!!!

01-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #2060
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Meaning you've already justified it, anyway, right?
No. I keep trying, there's like a barrier I can't get past.
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #2061
Veteran Member

or maybe 1000 little barriers, all stacked on top of each other... Love my k-5, but I got it at a very nice price, which made it easier to justify...
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #2062
Veteran Member

I often say I wish the K20D was a crappier camera, so I could justify an upgrade to a K-5 more easily
You are doing it all wrong. It is much easier to upgrade and then justify. You don't even have to justify unless your financial adviser catches you.

01-10-2012, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #2063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish the K5 were a better camera so that I could justify upgrading, it's just too incremental for me (this after my rant about image quality being everything and paying the price for diminishing returns. Somehow, in my mind, it all makes sense) I think perhaps though it's the thought that a Pentax FF is on the horizon that is keeping me from buying the K5. Come on CES, be good to me.
01-10-2012, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #2064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know what it is, J. The K20d is the slightly chubby girl you dated in highschool. She was plenty cute enough, and had a really great personality. Her younger sister, the K5, was even cuter, but the one you really wanted to date was the prom queen, Mary Lou FullFrame.
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #2065
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I know what it is, J. The K20d is the slightly chubby girl you dated in highschool. She was plenty cute enough, and had a really great personality. Her younger sister, the K5, was even cuter, but the one you really wanted to date was the prom queen, Mary Lou FullFrame.
Maybe that's close to the truth
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #2066

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Because aperture and focus are things of the past. Sweet.
Focusing happens before you take the picture, not when youn take the picture.
About apperture:
I have several patents but non concerning optics or electronics (unfortunately only bicycles ), so I can not tell you what happens or how can it be done, but Im sure the apperture blades can be replaced with some kind of LCD or what ever, which moves much faster than the mechanical blades and do not need any greasing or degreasing, and even the form of the blades can be modified byt software to get different bokeh according to the photographers wish.

Believe me, the world is not ready yet

To be clear, this ideas are not my personal wishes, I'm waiting for FF Pentax as many others.

Last edited by markku55; 01-10-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: My personal wish.
01-11-2012, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #2067
Forum Member

Fuji and Canon have stolen a march on Pentax and set the scene for those of us who haven't fancied mirrorless offerings up till now.

The Canon G1X with its nearly APS-C size sensor , non-interchangeable zoom, articulated screen and optical VF will do it for a lot of people. It's 135g heavier than my G12 and a bit chunkier but what the hell. It's what I hoped Pentax would have on sale by now.

Fuji's 16-meg APS-C interchangeable lens X-Pro1 is a dream come true with 3 classic length primes 28/50/90macro to kick off with, plus of course the hybrid optical-EVF. This camera is only 100g heavier than the Canon with standard f1.4 attached.

At long last the camera scene is getting interesting!
01-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #2068
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
You know, the natural progression with that is that the chubby girls grow up to be the hot girls and the prom queens go the other way. Does this have implications for full frame? ;-)
01-11-2012, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #2069
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have yet to see a mirrorless setup I could be happy with as my only setup though (the new XP1 being the closest but it misses on some things i will still need my SLR for and My 645 and 6x7 still have their uses as well_
The only way I would be tempted to buy into a FF mirrorless K3(?) is when it fully supports all K-mount lenses, including AF.

But without a OVF, it would stil feel like a big step backwards though. I made the jump from a bridge camera (Fuji s9500) to the DSLR in 2006. Going to a EVF would feel like going back to such a bridge camera.

I would buy a K-mount FF K3(?) with a OVF in the blink of an eye.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-11-2012 at 03:30 AM.
01-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #2070
Veteran Member

On another thread it came up that this is the 60th anniversary of the Pentax SLR. The LX has seen several Special Editions over the years (, LX2000, LX gold....)
I can see the FF launch being an LX-D with a big chunk of bragging about the history of the SLR and Pentax's involvement
If I was planning something big for this year that's the route i would take