Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #2386
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Because translucent mirrors remove a large percentage of the light to the sensor, thus wasting 20% of the available light to the sensor.

The only advantage it gives is for focusing in video mode at the expense of photo image quality and unwanted noise, only a trade off for consumer class cameras and not professional cameras... (ie Sony)
it's more like 1/3 of a stop, but i agree slt for FF seems ridiculous, the benefit of slt is the ability to have very high FPS, but with a 36MP sensor you will lose that advantage because the files will quickly eat up the buffer (the Nikon D800 is no speed demon, but they have the D4 for that)

02-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #2387
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's more like 1/3 of a stop, but i agree slt for FF seems ridiculous, the benefit of slt is the ability to have very high FPS, but with a 36MP sensor you will lose that advantage because the files will quickly eat up the buffer (the Nikon D800 is no speed demon, but they have the D4 for that)
In the case of Nikon you have to buy 2 bodies, but Sony fans only one which is even cheaper than D800, think about that
02-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #2388
Site Supporter

it's more like 1/3 of a stop
1/3 of a stop is 16.7% of light. I don't know where you got your number from but I'd guess that Sony would round down (to 1/3 stop) rather than round up (to 20% of light).
02-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #2389
Forum Member

almost every major dslr manufacturer has a full frame body under their line and so it makes sense for pentax to also jump into it and let more pentax lens owners to consider buying a body so that they can use it. Its possible pentax will not manufacture the sensor and instead chose to buy it. They could go the ff ccd route and source cheap kodak ff sensors or go in for the more expensive sony sensors but this will effect their pricing. If they go in for cheap old technology kodak sensors they might be able to offer a cheaper body compared to other expensive ff bodies in the market today.

02-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #2390
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But nobody will buy it because no video (ok, not that important) but no LiveView either (that one sucks big time) and shitty high Iso.
What'd be the point ?
02-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #2391
Forum Member

i was merely talking from point of view of cost and i feel ccd ff sensors might work out cheaper over cmos especially when u outsource them. its another thing when u manufacture them but pentax doesnt make sensors and creating a ff sensor from scratch will cost them a lot of money and time. by the way i dont use live view most of the time and prefer good old seeing through the viewfinder way to capture my pics. Finally video in all dslrs has tonnes of problems and any serious professional will just simply go in for pro grade camcorders which give better quality results over dslrs. ff sensor isos from ccd are very good compared to those from aps-c especially at high levels
02-08-2012, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #2392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But nobody will buy it because no video (ok, not that important) but no LiveView either (that one sucks big time) and shitty high Iso.
What'd be the point ?
What? I'm sure Pentax wouldn't make a FF like that... unless it were some minimalist design to be like an old film camera (think K1000).
Seriously though, my K-5 has video, liveview, and high iso that makes even 5d mk2 users rethink their paradigm.

If Pentax made a FF that built off of the K-5, I'm sure it'd be a hit. At least it would be with me!
02-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #2393
Pentaxian

Sure, but not with a CCD sensor. Nobody would buy it (good or bad reasons is something else)

02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #2394
ogl
Pentaxian

I think - FF will be. And it will be mirrorless
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #2395
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think - FF will be. And it will be mirrorless
My thoughts exactly. A FF DSLR will probably never come because there's too much competition but a FF mirrorless is still unique. Especially with XS lenses.
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #2396
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it's more like 1/3 of a stop
SLT eats 30% of light which is a loss of 0.51 stops.
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #2397
Pentaxian

That would Suck big time. I don't care about a FF milc as long as a dslr comes too.
02-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2398
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
My thoughts exactly. A FF DSLR will probably never come because there's too much competition but a FF mirrorless is still unique. Especially with XS lenses.
As long as it has a built in EVF. if it's the K-01 with a FF sensor it will fail. I think the K-01 is good for it's intended market but a FF has to be aimed directly at enthusiasts (no-one else cares)
I agree though it is possible the only FF will be mirrorless. It could also be a full on retro design as a mirrorless (Like a tribute to the Asahiflex with a top mount lcd as well as the rear one - that would be very cool and useful
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #2399
Site Supporter

I'm sure Pentax will do what they think it's right, but unfortunately if they do not bring a FF DSLR or SLT version this year, they will fail.
I can not understand the negative attitude for SLT, I believe that will be the future, for sure.
I feel myself as an oldfashionet guy, but still I think most of you are much more conservative than me.
Normal moving mirrow is something which will be replaced with better solutions - that is for sure according to my oppinnion, believe or not
Sony will take a lead after 2-3 years because of they have better sight for future, I hope Pentax could be the second company in this train.
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #2400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
I'm sure Pentax will do what they think it's right, but unfortunately if they do not bring a FF DSLR or SLT version this year, they will fail.
I can not understand the negative attitude for SLT, I believe that will be the future, for sure.
SLT is a pure stopgap solution, it will certainly not be the future. Just look at the OM-D - Olympus claims it has the world's fastest AF, so the only reason to cripple cameras with an SLT mirror is just support for old lenses.

For me personally, the most tempting reason for upgrading to FF would be to get a nice OVF again like in my LX and ME Super.