Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #2401
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
For me personally, the most tempting reason for upgrading to FF would be to get a nice OVF again like in my LX and ME Super.
If I were you I'd buy a FF Canikon sooner than later. The days of the OVF are numbered. Especially in Pentax land.

02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #2402
D0n
Banned

suppose they took the guts out of the 645-d, upgraded the sensor (say adding video), put it into a evil styled body like the k-01, using the standard kmount and bundled it with a 645 lens adaptor... then the da 35mm lenses might have a cropped image circle, (but less cropping for the FF lenses) compared to the full sensor use with 645 lenses. use a real evf...
Then they'd have a ff body for ALL thier users...

minor compromises for everybody, but all inclusive none the less... so 35 ff lenses might get you 36 mp, 35mm da lenses might get you 24 mp, and 645 lenses get you 40 mp but you have to use a k to 645 adaptor... I'm just making stuff up here..but this is what I'd do.

Last edited by D0n; 02-08-2012 at 11:36 AM.
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #2403
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
suppose they took the guts out of the 645-d, upgraded the sensor (say adding video), put it into a evil styled body like the k-01, using the standard kmount and bundled it with a 645 lens adaptor...
The smaller diameter of the K-mount would cause vignetting when used with 645 lenses and a 645 sensor (or even a cropped 645 sensor as in the case of the 645D).
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #2404
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
I'm sure Pentax will do what they think it's right, but unfortunately if they do not bring a FF DSLR or SLT version this year, they will fail.
I'm not sure a deadline of this year means they will fail (I've been hearing no F will kill the company for a long time now - it hasn't)
that being said i think a FF mirrorless is likely to be where the entry into the market will be. Despite the rumours of a Nex FF I think a Pentax K version would outsell the nex on lens selection alone (why by the nex when the only decent lenses for it are all alpha and require that ridiculous so so $400 adapter) I think coupled with the FA limiteds it would hold big appeal, but also a DFA version of the pancakes that implements son use of the mirrorbox area (like the lens pictured in todays announcement) would draw a whole new crowd. Needs an EVF though. As much as i'd be happy with it being a WL EVF i think it more likely will be where the flash on the K-01 is with no flash built in just a shoe for an external (which shouldn't impact the FF crowd who would be more likely to use external or be capable of doing well in available light shooting than the entry level people - OMD dropped it too i see as di xpro1)

02-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #2405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
If I were you I'd buy a FF Canikon sooner than later. The days of the OVF are numbered. Especially in Pentax land.
I'm not so sure about that. Not that fast. Anyway, the Canikon offerings (except those heavy pro camera monsters) don't really have that much larger viewfinders than the K-5. The Sony A900 was a bit better, but it has really fallen behind in IQ.
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #2406
Site Supporter

Without telling my reasons, so the OVF will for sure be replaced with EVF, with no doubt of that.
02-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #2407
D0n
Banned

so I got it wrong.. use the 645 mount, with a slightly shorter register distance, and sell BOTH 645 and k-mount adaptors?
02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #2408
Pentaxian

Without telling my reasons, so the OVF will for sure be replaced with EVF, with no doubt of that.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the first part of this sentence, but of course OVF will eventually be replaced by EVF. I'm not sure if that is a good thing in the near future, but eventually EVFs will be better than OVFs, and cameras will be much faster without the mirror (the new Olympus does 9 fps!!), although that will also take some time if they're all getting 36mp sensors... (the D800 is much slower than the K-5, electronics is the limiting factor, not the mirror).

But I'm pretty sure Pentax will avoid the SLT stopgap solution! Who knows, maybe that new K01-only lens is already ready for an EVF-equipped FF camera... and then it's certainly not an SLT.

02-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #2409
Pentaxian

For me personally, the most tempting reason for upgrading to FF would be to get a nice OVF again like in my LX and ME Super.
I directly compared the Canon 5D and Pentax K-5 with OM-53. There is hardly any significant difference. Though none of them is as big as an ME viewfinder.

The only reason for me upgrading to FF would be a 35mm F1.4 ... but that's to expensive and to bulky. Currently I am even more tempted by m43.... I just hope that new K-01 Pancake is a 24/2.0...
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2410
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that at some point this is a given. EVF needs to get better first though to replace OVF in the higher end SLRs at the entry level I think it is less of an issue. For instance if they launched a kr replacement based on the K-01 specs and added EVF and more traditional design but managing to save on size while providing a 100% VF then i think it would do well. but If they replaced the K5 with an EVF model it might well struggle (if it was a large VF though 100% with 1.xx magnification so it seemed a bigger than FF OVF then it think it would be a split opinion
In a few years when OLED gets fast enough for refresh to eliminate lag and low light issues, has higher res than current units and cheap enough to use then i think it will be the end of the OVF for the most part as there will be little reason aside from tradition to stick with it. I still think that time is several years away at minimum though (and actually as the aging part of the enthusiast crowd becomes less of an impact on the market it won't matter since the newer users will have started with No EVF) the action pro shooters will be amongst the last to adopt it i think, but they are as pros more concerned with does it do the job well, and if they get more FPS and faster more accurate autofocus due to a mirrorless design they will have no problem with it (and that is what canon will be working on in their long term R&D lab I bet)
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #2411
Site Supporter

My English is not good, so may be i gave a wrong idea, but as I told, OVF is not anything for future, the electronics will be much better than it is today, and that will be the future what so ever I'm sure.
Sony have taken that step much further than anyone else, so, I believe Sony will be the winner in short time.
I hoppe Pentax have realised this trend, if not - good bye.
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #2412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
The only reason for me upgrading to FF would be a 35mm F1.4 ... but that's to expensive and to bulky. Currently I am even more tempted by m43.... I just hope that new K-01 Pancake is a 24/2.0...
Yes, you pay a high price in terms of bulk for that 1.4 aperture.

The more I think of it, the more sense I can make of future K01 descendants with really good EVFs with wide angle pancakes exploiting the empty mirror box. It really doesn't matter much that the flange distance is large then - in fact it's a bonus for long lenses: If you have a lot of long-ish lenses for a NEX (when there eventually will be a lot of lenses to choose from ), you're carrying a lot of unnecessary tubes around to compensate for the short flange distance

Maybe they even could make the cameras look a little more rangefinder-ish, and have a protruding tube for the K-mount - and then place a control wheel on that tube, like the OM cameras used to have for shutter time.
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #2413
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But I'm pretty sure Pentax will avoid the SLT stopgap solution! Who knows, maybe that new K01-only lens is already ready for an EVF-equipped FF camera... and then it's certainly not an SLT.
IMO the only valid justification for SLT would be an EOS-RT like design which would easily permit an hybrid EVF/OVF. Otherwise, I agree, really no point at all in it.
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #2414
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't thinks so for the top bodies.
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #2415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO the only valid justification for SLT would be an EOS-RT like design which would easily permit an hybrid EVF/OVF.
I'm still hoping for a hybrid EVF/OVF "K-3", though - but still a real SLR, where the OVF turns into an EVF when the mirror is up. Best of both worlds - use the OVF when you want that (and want PDAF), use the EVF when that suits you better (especially when using movie mode). Add a Pentax-tweaked version of the 24mp APS-C Sony sensor, and I won't even be considering mirrorless or FF for another 4 to 5 years