Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #2491

The thing is, APS-c was a stop-gap solution until FF could be practically possible. The lenses, the flange focal distance, the size of the mirror box and the size of the mount was all designed to accomodate FF. If APS-c was the way to go, we should abolish all these backward parameters. Yet we do not.

If pentax isn't going to come out with FF but still use K-mount, then i would rather jump ship to µ4/3 where everything was designed from the ground up with that size in mind.

02-15-2012, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2492
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote

If pentax isn't going to come out with FF but still use K-mount, then i would rather jump ship to µ4/3 where everything was designed from the ground up with that size in mind.

Quick! Now's your chance!
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #2493

I'm feeling a lot of condescendence here.
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #2494
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
If pentax isn't going to come out with FF but still use K-mount, then i would rather jump ship to µ4/3 where everything was designed from the ground up with that size in mind
I think Pentax just deludes us by keeping the hope for FF high. At least about 1/4 of us.... Since digital era startet 10 years ago we still hope hope hope.... Pentax will never release FF that would be able to compete on the AF&TTL ground if even sony wasn't able.... Does the Ricoh is this big? Small ergonomic robust body is everything we can expect..... (and this is everything i need)

02-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2495
Veteran Member

It is quite sad, to see time and again, how LOW one wants to picture m43. Why is that?
Of course, FF is not M43.
Two different ways. Two different roads. Both lead to photographs. Ultimately, they do.
Quality can be defined in different ways and one can attach more or less value to one or an other.
It is sad, very sad, to see people think that one way excludes the merits of the other. It is highly limitating, narrow minded.
If the outmost technical image quality is THE goal, all of us should go Medium Format, but preferably, Larger.
Isn't it true, that MONEY dictates otherwise.
I am astounded, I love photography, therefore I can't but help: to love all formats and wish-dream I could afford all. But I face it, I can't afford a Hasselblad. Bummer.

One hope I indeed lost, the last few days, indeed the hope for a Pentax ff. For my families takumars.
Well then, I accept. Tsjeesh, it pobably means selling the last ones (14) I have left, and move on.
Let's see, which directions can I take, oh well, more than enough. Sony, Canon, Nikon.
But I shall not. I shall sell the takumars, and who knows, maybe one day a d645 with standard lens. I don't think I could carry more than that with a stirdy tripod on my back. Wow.
(And my grandfather, he used glass plates ..... that was quite large format .....)
02-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #2496
Veteran Member

I would never sell your screw mount takumars!! They will work just fine on a Canikon body! D800/D700/5D Mark II or III with a 55 f1.8, 135 f2.5, 28 f3.5, 200 f4.. would all perform very nicely indeed.
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #2497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Well, I don't think I fall into either "camp". Ricoh/Pentax has limited R&D resources, and maybe there is a camp of us who think those Yen are better spent solving more immediate needs than FF. I'm certainly not going to jump ship and give up the best of Pentax just because my ancient glass might work better on a FF sensor.

So Pentax, spend your money to take the K-5 to new heights. Don't break was isn't broke. Give us best in class AF. Give us the least noise and highest ISO (and lowest) in the industry. Bring your flash system into the 21st (or for that matter 20th) century. Provide the best line of pro lenses in the industry.

Do those things, and I think all camps will be happier. Those pining for FF will be temporaily placated, and the rest of us will be proud as peacocks showing off the results from our best in indusrty K-5+.
I honestly don't think there will be that much more development into Pentax's AF system if they are starting to lean towards mirrorless systems anyways.. they will look at ways to speed up their peak detection system for sure.. but for now that seems a very mechanical issue of speeding up the actual AF motor drive system to GET to and then a little bit PAST the peak.. then returning to it. There is a lot to be done to make it all out "BEST IN CLASS" for APS-C market, the IQ of the K-5 made it best in class for IQ for sure.. but starting into Pentax I was OK with the limited video feature set and lack of upgrade path.. little did I see how soon I would be burning for an upgrade path.

If the K-5's replacement can get even "slightly" better IQ, the same or more FPS burst (with a bigger buffer!), update the flash synch to at LEAST 1/250th of a sec (1/500th would be nice!!), have improved video functions and full manual controls for it (1080P@60fps would be great, 30FPS is pretty vanilla now days) and work on some QC problems so they don't have another "sensor stain" type of issue out of the gates...
As for packaging it up right.. DROP the 50-200 lens outright.. WR the 55-300 and sell the new camera with a 2 piece kit with the 18-55WR/55-300WR and some damn view finder focusing shims so you don't have to order after the fact.. your camera should be good to go out of the box. As a complete starting kit, that would do very well..

All that being said, it still is only a stop gap camera on the way to wanting to get the IQ of a FF camera, which you won't without a FF sensor.

02-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #2498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
update the flash synch to at LEAST 1/250th of a sec
I wonder why pentax chose to go down to 1/180th when several of the old film bodies were capable of 1/250th...
02-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #2499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
If the K-5's replacement can get even "slightly" better IQ, the same or more FPS burst (with a bigger buffer!), update the flash synch to at LEAST 1/250th of a sec (1/500th would be nice!!), have improved video functions and full manual controls for it (1080P@60fps would be great, 30FPS is pretty vanilla now days) and work on some QC problems so they don't have another "sensor stain" type of issue out of the gates...
As for packaging it up right.. DROP the 50-200 lens outright.. WR the 55-300 and sell the new camera with a 2 piece kit with the 18-55WR/55-300WR and some damn view finder focusing shims so you don't have to order after the fact.. your camera should be good to go out of the box. As a complete starting kit, that would do very well..
I couldn't agree more. Very much like the idea like the idea of the WR 55-300 combined in a kit.
02-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #2500
Veteran Member

I don't understand the defeated attitude that's present in this thread right now. Pentax seems to only be interested in filling unique niche markets. Well a low cost FF body is a niche.

They could explore the market with a first FF-entry-level model. A smallish non-SR, non-WR, etc. Just to catch the people that just cannot afford any FF body from any competitor at current. If they do that right - without QC issues - they can later announce the fully featured high-end version.
02-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #2501

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well a low cost FF body is a niche.
They could explore the market with a first FF-entry-level model. A smallish non-SR, non-WR, etc. Just to catch the people that just cannot afford any FF body from any competitor at current. If they do that right - without QC issues - they can later announce the fully featured high-end version.
I fully agree, but Pentax seems to be late with their announcement, because Sony might introduce first their budget FF SLT body (if we can trust on the latest rumors)
02-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #2502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I don't understand the defeated attitude that's present in this thread right now.
You don't?
Well, then this thread started, there was hope.
Now, there are our dream cameras from Nikon and Sony and it becomes obvious that Pentax again refused to play ...
02-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #2503
gtl
Veteran Member

A FF k-01 with 2 dials and EVF and focus peaking would be acceptable to me, if it really helps to keep costs down.
02-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #2504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You don't?
Well, then this thread started, there was hope.
Now, there are our dream cameras from Nikon and Sony and it becomes obvious that Pentax again refused to play ...
huh? A Sony hasn't been released yet, has it? And how can an SLT be anyone's dream camera

I agree that the D800 looks very nice, though. But at the price of 3 K-5 bodies, it's also in a different league (and at least for me much more than what I'm willing to spend on a body alone).
02-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #2505
Forum Member

this will be neverending thread I guess

ok, if not FF, how about... premium aps-c dslr?
apsc-dslr with FF features, and make it sub $2000