Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #256

Photos: Albums
im looking forward to hear this " FF" things from pentax.... long live pentax ... and " we dont have to build everything from the scratch, its already there "

10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #257
Pentaxian

I think with SR we're looking at something roughly the size of the K20D, without it, I'm sure they could fit it in a K-5 body. There has to be some real estate for that pony to roam if you want SR. So Pentax will have to decide which option will deter fewer potential buyers.

Frankly, I think leaving the SR off the 645D was risky, but probably acceptable because it made the behemoth camera a bit smaller. Most folks, whether they're shooting landscapes, macro, or commercial work in the studio are going to have it on a heavy duty tripod. But a full frame camera will be used for everything under the sun from photojournalism, and street photography, to sports and wildlife. If it's released without SR, and with no lenses that support it, I don't think many shooters will see it as a viable alternative to Canon, Nikon, or Sony.

How many folks would be willing to forgo in-body shake reduction for the sake of size? How many would forgo ultra-compact size for the sake of SR? I actually enjoy having a big camera in my hands, though I wouldn't kick the K-5 outta bed for eating crackers. But a pot of coffee a day means I gotsta, I repeat gotsta have my shake reduction.
10-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #258
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
How many folks would be willing to forgo in-body shake reduction for the sake of size?
Not me. If I was concerned about size, I wouldn't be looking for full frame, as the glass is generally a lot larger.

If I was really concerned about size, I'd pocket the Q anyway.
10-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #259

In all honesty I don't think Pentax should focus on bringing a Full Frame camera. But if they do, then they should go after what the K-5 is-> small. Try to make it small and try to make a unique set of features or feature that sets it apart from the market while doing the rest at least "good enough."

I don't think it's a good idea for Pentax Ricoh to go head to head vs Canikon. I really think that was Olympus #1 mistake with 4/3rds. The core market of Pentax should be the enthusiast, the "lone wolf" type photographer. At least initially until they expand to a bigger presence. This can also be the wedding photographer. But go head to head vs Canikon will be a very expensive game in which the risks or losing are pretty high.

They need to bring what they do best to the table and run with that. A full frame "K-5" if you will at a reasonable price I think may be a good proposition. But go too big, go "pro" and prepare to lose a lot of cash and focus. I rather have them not do that.

- Raist

10-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #260
Site Supporter

full frame lens on aps-c camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
Some APS-C users seem to be fearful that Pentax building an FF camera would mean the decline of APS-C. I doubt if anything could be further from the truth. FF just gives us an option to step up without spending 10 grand on a Pentax 645 and lugging around a MF sized digital camera. Something few of us want or could afford.
I would love to be able to mount a full frame lens on my aps-c. My understanding is the aps-c would use the center section of the image circle where the IQ should be higher.

However, I do lust after a small full-frame. The smaller it is, the more likely I'm going to be carrying it when I need to take that shot.
10-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #261

Photos: Gallery
I'm all for pushing for better tech as long as the K mount is retained. I would be reluctant to buy a body without SR and I assume others feel the same, so I would doubt that they will remove it in their advanced amateur/pro range without a seriously good reason to do so. I still feel that there are some lenses missing from the Pentax lineup that would allow the brand to be more competitive with Canikon, but aside from that Pentax/Ricoh might want to put a little more effort into brand awareness. I recently finished a 2 month tour of Europe and I can count on one hand how many people I saw with Pentax cameras. One of the large duty free stores in Dubai airport had every other camera brand I could think of and no Pentax items. I guess my point is that Pentax/Ricoh has their work cut out for them, so I hope that they focus on making big strides forward while maintaining their existing fan base. Bring on FF, new lenses and better tech!!
10-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #262
Forum Member

You can already mount an FF lens on your APS-C camera. I use them almost every time I shoot. In fact I only have one APS-C lens which is a DA 16-45mm.
The question is, would a FF Pentax have a mode like Nikon and Sony to use APS-C lenses on it's FF body? It probably needs to.

Anyway I hope with any Pentax FF camera, we are talking a Nikon D800, Canon 5D MKIII or Sony A9*** competitor? A Canon 1 DX type model would be too close to the 645D, and cost more than most of us could afford.
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #263

I would definitely go full frame if it were in the approx league of the 5D/D700 and easy to tether...

Most of my lenses are full image circle and no doubt the FA* lenses could be adapted to suit SDM and re-manufactured so its not like starting from scratch in the lens department

10-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #264

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
The question is, would a FF Pentax have a mode like Nikon and Sony to use APS-C lenses on it's FF body? It probably needs to.
Yes, I agree. I would be quite peeved if my DA lenses could not be used on a newer body that was targeted at "advanced amateur".
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #265
Site Supporter

sdm II, ring motor, update the coating?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They should just re-launch all their FA* lenses with quick-shift. That would make them perfect!
I would like them to take the best of their line and freshen them up. But at the end of the day, cost is a factor for me.

After a lot of soul searching, I realize I shoot Pentax because they have always offered the best bang for the buck. The camera bodies have always had features that didn't exist at that price point. The k-mount offered the best value in lens, if you don't mind legacy glass.

The Pentax/Ricoh lens catalog is like the Beatle's catalog to me. It's full of gems and rocks, but if you don't make them available at a reasonable price, who would know, except the people with turntables.
10-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #266

If Pentax has a FF DSLR, i will get one for sure..

I will continue to enjoy my K5 at the mean time.

Enjoy photography!
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #267
Veteran Member

Hmmm.... Am I the only one scratching the head wondering what all the excitement is about???

Here we have a response to a feedback letter, which would be forwarded to Pentax Japan.
OK, that's good, and then what else... No, that's it!

I personally interpret the phrase "they listened!" quite differently. I would ONLY say so when a FF camera is actually in our hands!

Right now, I would just go as far as saying "they read!" for Pentax Europe; and "they are waiting for the mail!" for Pentax Japan.

BTW, the link to the actual response letter does not work for me.
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #268
Forum Member

A full-frame rangefinder type would be preferable, outdoing Fuji but with interchangeable lenses of course.

FF would also enable us to get back to sensible, compact wide-angle optics instead of the monsters required for crop sensors.

The letter is a very useful first shot - hope you'll follow up with more specifics. At this stage in the Pentax-Ricoh merger R&D are probably very receptive to ideas.
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #269
Forum Member

I couldn't afford FF, but it definitely seems like the demand is there. At least pentax seems to be listening to its supporters, I hope it happens someday!
10-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #270
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Knowing Pentax, I'd say their FF body would be affordable- at the very least, cheaper than the closest competitor. That would place it under $2500 for sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: