Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #2716
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's a rice high rumour, not the most reliable of sources no matter how many sites reference it. I'm guessing if the Sony and Nikon launch at 1999 then so too will the Pentax, not a chance they will launch with the same sensor at 40% more than the competition
It's NOT RICE HIGH rumor.
Check the source.

We've heard the same at the Russian Photo Forum. 24 MP FF camera till March, 2013.

As for price - it's just talks.

06-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #2717
Veteran Member

we are hearing ff rumours for over 3 year now XD
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #2718
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
we are hearing ff rumours for over 3 year now XD
we've been hearing rumours since the ist D
hell the d was originally supposed to have the crappy sensor that brought down Contax
06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #2719
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's NOT RICE HIGH rumor.
Check the source.

We've heard the same at the Russian Photo Forum. 24 MP FF camera till March, 2013.

As for price - it's just talks.
I agree, the multiple rumors from multiple sources within the last year have all pointed to 24MP, available Spring 2013. It's been the same story since late 2011.

06-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #2720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I agree, the multiple rumors from multiple sources within the last year have all pointed to 24MP, available Spring 2013. It's been the same story since late 2011.
If that's the case, then I believe the Pentax FF had been in development in pre-Hoya years, shelved during Hoya, and is now undergoing re-evaluation with Ricoh. The problem R-P is facing is that "releasing official news" gives their competition real wind of what's going on in their labs, however, not releasing any news is making their current market nervous about what they're really planning.

What will happen depends if Ricoh sees the FF as a profitable, market-stealing arsenal that would turn even Canon FF users, and lure those from Nikon too. While I would also want to go FF someday, if it's not in my preferred K-mount, maybe I'll stick to APS-C. Unless the big two or Samsung buys Pentax and kills the K. =))
06-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #2721
Forum Member

we've been hearing rumours since the ist D hell the d was originally supposed to have the crappy sensor that brought down Contax

After a decade of digi-frustration it's high time Pentax delivered what (I suspect) a good many photographers really want.

First, a digital Konica Hexar R/F type (so brilliantly interpreted by Fuji with their X-100 albeit APSC rather than FF). This should have a fixed 24~90 zoom. A second version with a fast prime (e.g. f2/45) would be great for purists.

Next, a digital Contax Aria, FF of course, keeping it nice and simple with all-manual controls and strictly relevant to rapid picture-taking, and continuing the K-mount.

Today I'm putting aside my K-7 and taking the Aria out for a spin - a much nicer tool (even than the MX, my main camera for over 20 years) and so much more fun to use. Don't we ever learn from past excellence?
06-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #2722
Pentaxian

I believe Pentax new ambitions are higher than settling for a very small and volatile niche.
06-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #2723
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
After a decade of digi-frustration it's high time Pentax delivered what (I suspect) a good many photographers really want.

First, a digital Konica Hexar R/F type (so brilliantly interpreted by Fuji with their X-100 albeit APSC rather than FF). This should have a fixed 24~90 zoom. A second version with a fast prime (e.g. f2/45) would be great for purists.

Next, a digital Contax Aria, FF of course, keeping it nice and simple with all-manual controls and strictly relevant to rapid picture-taking, and continuing the K-mount.

Today I'm putting aside my K-7 and taking the Aria out for a spin - a much nicer tool (even than the MX, my main camera for over 20 years) and so much more fun to use. Don't we ever learn from past excellence?
not a hope in h*ll of the first. Pentax was never a rangefinder company and were responsible for it's complete marginalization more than any other company

And why would they echo a product from a (now dead) competitor. If we see something retro in a FF I suspect it will be in the form of an LX.

06-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #2724
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I believe Pentax new ambitions are higher than settling for a very small and volatile niche.
Ricoh want to be a big third.

Ricoh won't release a FF with a high price, because it would not sell enought to be really profitable, and expend the brand.

Ricoh might aim "best" APS-C in each price range, and a decent FF - compared to the big two -, combined with some ad, they can really take some market share
06-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #2725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Ricoh want to be a big third.

Ricoh won't release a FF with a high price, because it would not sell enought to be really profitable, and expend the brand.

Ricoh might aim "best" APS-C in each price range, and a decent FF - compared to the big two -, combined with some ad, they can really take some market share
But adding FF adds a lot of ballast, when you have a FF camera you also need to have FF lenses so you need to set up another line up, i just dont see Pentax supporting 4 different systems.
Besides a lot of works still needs to be done with the 645 line so i rather have them spend resources there...

So if they are planning FF i hope they hold it off till they the have sorted the systems they have now.
06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #2726
Pentaxian

But adding FF adds a lot of ballast, when you have a FF camera you also need to have FF lenses so you need to set up another line up, i just dont see Pentax supporting 4 different systems.
Besides a lot of works still needs to be done with the 645 line so i rather have them spend resources there...

So if they are planning FF i hope they hold it off till they the have sorted the systems they have now.
What if Pentax do like Canon for the lens line up ?

Canon have EF (FF lens) and EF-S (APS-C only), but EF-S lens are not many : 10-22, 18-55, 17-85, 18-200, 60 macro.
All other lenses are EF.

Pentax can do the same : lots of their prime can be renamed as DFA/FA (thinking of DA35/2.4 / 40 /70 / etc ...).
(Pentax should a bit simplifies designation of lenses BTW because DA/DFA/FA/limited/star can be a bit disturbing for new comers.)

In that case, a whole lineup won't have to be build from scratch !
06-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #2727
Veteran Member

Sure that isnt the problem the FF can be used on APS-C but besides some prime lenses pentax don't have any FF lenses in production, so that means they need to develop some zoom lenses at the very least and put them in production fast.
For the 645 only 2 new lenses have been launched for it in 2 years so they really should step up the game for that first and for the Q before starting another new line....

About designation only the DA and DFA lenses are going to be launched from now on so no FA lenses and the lenses with * are the pro line, i don't see a problem with that and i dont see how you can do it better otherwise.
06-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #2728
Veteran Member

Sure that isnt the problem the FF can be used on APS-C but besides some prime lenses pentax don't have any FF lenses in production, so that means they need to develop some zoom lenses at the very least and put them in production fast.
For the 645 only 2 new lenses have been launched for it in 2 years so they really should step up the game for that first and for the Q before starting another new line....

About designation only the DA and DFA lenses are going to be launched from now on so no FA lenses and the lenses with * are the pro line, i don't see a problem with that and i dont see how you can do it better otherwise.
The 60-250/4 is FF and they seem to have a 16-50 replacement in the works. The 55-300 is also FF. So they'd need a fast 70-200, which they have a design for, and a new kit lens, which I'm sure they could reach into their back catalog for.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-19-2012 at 07:43 AM.
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #2729
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The 60-250/4 is FF and they seem to have a 16-50 replacement in the works. The 55-300 is also FF. So they'd need a fast 70-200, which they have a design for, and a new kit lens, which I'm sure they could reach into their back catalog for.
Maybe by design but they arent market as such, and that's really end of discussion.
They only thing they can do is pull them out of production and reintroduce them as DFA lenses instead of DA lenses.
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #2730

it's a rice high rumour, not the most reliable of sources no matter how many sites reference it. I'm guessing if the Sony and Nikon launch at 1999 then so too will the Pentax, not a chance they will launch with the same sensor at 40% more than the competition
They currently sell an f1.8 medium telephoto prime (the FA77) at roughly 100% more than Canikon's equivalent lenses (the 85 f1.8s). If they think they can get away with it for lenses, why not bodies?