Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #2791
Forum Member

I hope that Pentax says something definite about FF soon. The Nikon D600 launch is imminent and I'm sure that camera will really open up the enthusiast FF arena.
The more I read about the D600, the more I hope Pentax will do something similar only better. If Pentax could build something that slotted in between the the D600 and D800
but priced closer to the D600, it could grab a lot of customers. Perhaps Samsung (or someone) has a 30MP sensor Pentax could use?

06-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #2792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Actually, it was the best April Fool's prank ever executed - because it was really true! (except for the doctored image.)
Do you know something that most of us don't? Because I think we've only seen repetitive but partly conflicting rumors of such a camera with nothing solid.

Asahi man on Dpr has usually been right on the money, working in camera retail. This is what he says:

QuoteQuote:
And Pentax is going to be very aggressive this year with aps-c bodys.
Nikon will be the Master of 35mm and Pentax is going to be the Master of APS-C Cameras,you will see.
And there is NO 35mm Camera showing this year!
06-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #2793
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think if pentax wants to survive in dslrs they will go full frame. Eventually aps will fall to mirrorless only. The writing is on the wall. If pentax thinks they can be a niche player with aps only, well good luck. The photography industry doesn't have room for small nice players anymore. Leica is hanging on by a thread. Canikon is a huge juggernaut that pros turn to for good reason. Their lens lineups are healthy, they have excellent service/support, and they have full frame. If ricoh wants to compete, it needs to invest a ton of money into new glass production. The pentax lineup is anemic. Its sad that 30 year old glass is selling at incredibly inflated prices because there are no modern equivalents in the system. 200mm macro? 500mm? There are huge gaps. Where's that 560mm lens they showed off?? Its still not in production? They need to get their act together. I'm all for pentax and love their bodies and old primes, but trying to track down old glass to build a system is annoying. For the landscape and nature stuff I shoot, pentax is great and since I use primes mostly, I will probably stick around till they stop making dslrs. They need some new lenses and this expensive plastic 50 isn't cutting it...how about a 28mm pentax?? 24mm?? So many gaps.
06-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #2794
Veteran Member

zosxavius
You've missed the lens roadmap it seems...

06-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #2795
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't care about some roadmap. Where's the 560 that was announced 6 months ago? Pentax needs to do more than trickle a new lens out every six months...hell just restart fa production. Digitally coated fas would sell like hotcakes.
06-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #2796

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I don't care about some roadmap. I want to see a series of lenses of various focal lengths belonging to the different series be announced going forward.
This is what I read.
06-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #2797
Veteran Member

I don't care about some roadmap. Where's the 560 that was announced 6 months ago? Pentax needs to do more than trickle a new lens out every six months.
Its ready when it's ready, i rather have that the y take 6 months more and come out with a faulty free product then that the first 3 batches needs to be return.
and they have released 2 lenses this year so well within your schedule.

About the lens lineup just look at what the other brands have, sure the pro end and specialized lenses of Pentax isnt there yet but the conmen lenses are available.
Besides when you look at Nikon or Cannon just count how many version of the same focal length they have....

06-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #2798
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question ...

I don't care about some roadmap. Where's the 560 that was announced 6 months ago? Pentax needs to do more than trickle a new lens out every six months...hell just restart fa production. Digitally coated fas would sell like hotcakes.
Where is the 560mm ?! Plus the DA 50/1.8 seems to be slow in coming, too ... The roadmap is whitewash if nothing ever comes from it within a reasonable time frame.
06-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #2799
Pentaxian

zosxavius: Oh, really? The APS-C DSLR market doesn't seem to be drying out, as MILC fans are wishing.
Leica, well... their M9 is a FF rangefinder; not a very good example about how APS-C only DSLR makers are doing poorly
The 560 mm is most likely scheduled to be launched later this year. It wasn't yet announced - they were simply showing prototypes (pre-production?) and put it on the roadmap. It's unrealistic to ask them to launch everything at once, even before they managed to fix the R&D and production capacity issues.
And, last but not least - you're asking many things, but are you prepared to buy them? They won't be cheap.
06-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #2800
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Where is the 560mm ?! Plus the DA 50/1.8 seems to be slow in coming, too ... The roadmap is whitewash if nothing ever comes from it within a reasonable time frame.
Now the question comes up, is it better to announce/show things early so that people know what's in the pipeline and coming or announce it just before the lens will be in the stores?

About the lens roadmap, that was meant to be for 2012 and 2013 and we are just halfway 2012 so nothing to worry about....
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #2801
Inactive Account

I think that FF is ambitious for 2012. 2013 it should be there. Ricoh will have had to be working flat out on it if it's coming 2012.
The sensors won't be available that early will they anyway? Maybe CP+ next year? I'm doubting photokina. Would very much like l be wrong. Hopefully we will have a prototype there.
06-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #2802
Pentaxian

I agree, however ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Now the question comes up, is it better to announce/show things early so that people know what's in the pipeline and coming or announce it just before the lens will be in the stores?

About the lens roadmap, that was meant to be for 2012 and 2013 and we are just halfway 2012 so nothing to worry about....
Bonjour Anvh,

I think that we agree, and the timing can be sensitive IMHO ... Announce "too early" and the "wait / lag time" seems too long in the pipeline ... or announce closer to actual market release(s). I don't follow Canon, but they announced their pancake which is going to be available soon, if I am correct. Announce and it hits the shelves ... but then again one must realize that Pentax is not on the same level as the "Canikon" infrastructure.

The later announcement is better overall ... Why so many months now to launch an industry standard, a fast fifty (budget, entry-level lens). Nothing hard to do here and it should be already on the shelves as opposed to a super specialty (and expensive) lens like the 560mm. If this 50 proves to be as good as my DA 35mm f2.4, then I'm getting one ... thus the reason for my obvious impatience and minor frustration.

Allez, courage & salut, John le Frog
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #2803
Pentaxian

The DA 50mm f/1.8 was announced on May 21. So many months?
The 560mm was not announced yet. It made sense to show a prototype at CP+ many months before it's release, this way proving they are serious about the K-mount system.

And yes, Canon is completely on another level; that's why they were able to launch their 1D-X on time
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #2804
Pentaxian

I stand corrected ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The DA 50mm f/1.8 was announced on May 21. So many months?
The 560mm was not announced yet. It made sense to show a prototype at CP+ many months before it's release, this way proving they are serious about the K-mount system.

And yes, Canon is completely on another level; that's why they were able to launch their 1D-X on time
Bonjour Kunzite,

Oui ... Announced on May 21st, but its prototype shown at same time as the 560mm prototype, n'est-ce pas?! Still wanna get my hands on one ASAP, after having read the photo mag and PF reviews, etc. Still seems like many a month ... and don't get me wrong, it's good to see the serious treatment of the K-mount system ... just a bit faster please, pretty please.

Salut, John Frog
06-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #2805
Veteran Member

Solution; announce it later

They did quite well with the K-01 i must say and the K30 should be on the shelves soon as well.