Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #2866
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They're denying, so it must be true!
Pentax representatives have been denying FF rumours for the last three years (at least) constantly, because it isn't part of the company's strategy. Though one may rightfully ask, what is Pentax' strategy, as it is hardly recognizable, it just may be they are saying the truth...

Ben

06-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #2867
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Pentax representatives have been denying FF rumours for the last three years (at least) constantly, because it isn't part of the company's strategy.
Not really. Pentax has played their FF intentions close to the vest and have neither confirmed nor denied such rumours. Rather, their position has been - we won't tell you if FF is part of our strategy, but if it is, our FF will be different (than other vendors').

From Kawauchi's Feb 2012 interview at CPP:

QuoteQuote:
Q: There has been a lot of discussion about a certain type of camera missing from your current lineup. Can you guess what kind of camera many Pentax users really want?

A: We continuously consider 35mm, but it has to be different from what other manufactures are releasing and lenses supporting 35mm have to be prepared. We think these are the principal challenges. So for example, even if we decide to make a full size DSLR in the future, we will release what is not available from the other makers. We cannot comment and we do not know when this will be.
Brunnell has also mentioned the need bring new FF lenses into production as a necessary condition for a FF camera.
06-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #2868
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Translation

QuoteOriginally posted by mopteek Quote
Pentax's France Community Manager said it's rumor is wrong on Twitter
Link here https://twitter.com/PentaxRicoh/status/217185450383769600
START

Ben ("Hangry Ben" = angry Ben? since the 'H' is silent in French) to Pentax Ricoh France (PRF) - "Hey, haven't you something to tell us?"

PRF to Ben - " hmm, I see what you are talking about and unfortunately it's only a rumor, no FF foreseeable"

Ben to PRF - "... nothing? Not even a beginning of a (development) project?"

PRF to Ben - "it's not it the current projects anyhow ..."

Ben to PRF - " that means that if I want to upgrade to FF then I am obligate to leave your system? It's crazy, no?"

PRF to Ben - "i said that we do not know, not that it's impossible that they would make one wait and see"

Ben to PRF - "me who's thinking about changing towards the end of 2012 ... if I plan today I am obligated to change manufacturers. I don't like it!"

END

What surprises me is the very informal tone of this public exchange, (ie "tu" familiar "you" form used instead of "vous" and the very type of slang used) and I find PRF answers kind of chevalier and cheeky ... plus no answer to Ben's big gripe/complaint at the end. There you go for what it's worth.

Salut, John Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 06-27-2012 at 12:44 AM.
06-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #2869
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the translation!

To me the last line by Pentax Ricoh France is telling a lot. He knows more than he's willing to tell.

06-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #2870
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

To me the last line by Pentax Ricoh France is telling a lot. He knows more than he's willing to tell.
Bonjour Ashiflex,

I hope that you have the right spin on this last PRF line ... as said, "wait and see" ... argh!

A+, J
06-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #2871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
START
[/I][/B]PRF to Ben -[I][B] "i said that we do not know, not that it's impossible that they would make one wait and see"
END
Funny how these things work out.
06-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #2872

I have been in contact (phone call) a few days ago with someone known at FRP and I asked the question, among others, about the FF (and Photokina).

The answer has been "it is too early to tell, but the idea is under consideration".
I hope I am right in the formulation.
I noted the response and I think it has been said so ...

Thus, who knows ?!
06-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #2873
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG fr Quote
I have been in contact (phone call) a few days ago with someone known at FRP and I asked the question, among others, about the FF (and Photokina).

The answer has been "it is too early to tell, but the idea is under consideration".
I hope I am right in the formulation.
I noted the response and I think it has been said so ...

Thus, who knows ?!
Bonjour,

SVP - What did they actually say in French?

Merci d'avance et salut, John

06-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #2874

John, he said "il est trop tt pour en parler, mais l'ide est l'tude".

Strange answer : he knows more than he is authorized to say, or he knows nothing !
06-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #2875
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG fr Quote
John, he said "il est trop tt pour en parler, mais l'ide est l'tude".

Strange answer : he knows more than he is authorized to say, or he knows nothing !
OK - Thanks! And yes, strange dodging here in a certain manner, either withholding info which cannot be released (yet) ... or totally clueless and trying to retain the semblance of being in the know.

A+, John

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 06-27-2012 at 12:22 PM.
06-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #2876
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 Full-Frame DSLR Release Date

Funny...
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #2877
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Proves that it is extremely dangerous to post 1.April jokes like this on the web!
Also show how flimsy rumours are.
06-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #2878
Veteran Member

Maybe it's time to post some belated 1 april jokes
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #2879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
the ultrasonic motor is a proven concept, it could be that the specific motor they used could be faulty but if that was the case that would be easily replaceable right?
Screw-driven focus is a proven concept. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't want Pentax developing SDM because I can't yet see a benefit. Maybe if speed increases substantially, but I couldn't care less about noise. Personally, noise from the screw has never ruined a shot for me and I've never had focusing problems from a screw-driven lens. SDM on the other hand is a different story.

It may be correct the problem isn't as big now, but I won't be buying another SDM. That's part of the problem; I don't have more current data because it's not worth the risk to me. I don't think I'm the only one avoiding SDM, which is unfortunate because I'd love to try the 55, 50-135 and 60-250.

Maybe if Pentax finally releases a FF I'd be willing to try another SDM lens. That way I'll have a mcuh better viewfinder to manually focus if the SDM dies.
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #2880
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Paparazzi are like sports photogs shooting a game - they want fast fps, quick processing turnaround, and quick transmission of the images back to base, in addition to conventionally useful features like good low-light and good lens reach. They don't want huge file sizes and slow fps, and don't need amazing resolution and image quality.

So I don't expect to see many paps using D800's (or Phase One's or Hasselblads) anytime soon.
I agree, but I also believe that for a pro Paparazzi it might be important to use as unvisible equipment as possible to get close the target - Nokia 808 is the right solution, I'm talking... ups I'm photographing