Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
@stanleyk: My point is there are other excellent rangefinder lenses out there than just M glass. Tell my why i should buy the M module for the GXR when i can buy a NEX and mount M glass and also my contax G glass and other kind of short rangefinder glass besides M? I'd buy the NEX.
Sorry if I seem a little cranky. All three of my dogs got sprayed by a skunk early this AM. It really stinks.

10-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #407
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Good post. My idea is that Ricoh/Pentax need only innovative, unusual and special solution for FF camera.

Mirrorless FF is just hypothetic idea.
Not my wish.
I think that's what people are missing. They can do the Full Frame DSLR, but first they need something to excite people about the brand. The Q was a decent idea but way too expensive. I just don't see another DSLR even a Full Frame exciting anyone but current Pentax users. You aren't going to get Nikon or Canon users to switch in numbers that make financial sense, if at all given they have a much better lens selection.

I'm very curious about what Ricoh will do. I think you may see a bit of both. First something new, then maybe in two years a Full Frame. I don't think the Full Frame will happen next year unless it's something really different. I'd bet good money Fuji is going to kill everyone again next year.
10-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #408
Veteran Member

*checks to see if this is still the Pentax FF letter thread .. realises it has been totally derailed and has now become a MILC / EVIL / NEX 7 / X100 thread ..... so backs out slowly before being noticed*
10-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Mirrorless FF is just hypothetic idea.
Try telling Sony that .... oops too late.

10-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
*checks to see if this is still the Pentax FF letter thread .. realises it has been totally derailed and has now become a MILC / EVIL / NEX 7 / X100 thread ..... so backs out slowly before being noticed*
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I did say I wish Pentax would make a Full Frame camera. I just probably won't buy one. But I think it would be great for the brand if they do it right.
10-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #411
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try telling Sony that .... oops too late.
I'm afraid that A99 and NEX-9 will be FF cameras...
10-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
To reiterate a previous thread: Why is it the APS-C fan peoples have to hate on us that want a FF Pentax? Its not like we are campaigning for an end to APS-C and hating on APS-C.
I see very little "hate" for FF on this thread. Some folks aren't buying into the dream of a FF Pentax, but that's not the same as "hate".

10-22-2011, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
K mount mirrorless is a stupid idea, a waste of space and potential of mirrorless, yet people keep putting it out there.
They put the idea out there because it's the difference between trying to market a brand-new mirrorless system with no legacy customers (and no significant share of the overall digital market) vs trying to market a mirrorless system with millions of built-in customers. NOT using the K mount is a stupid idea, IMHO.
10-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #414
Veteran Member

*checks to see if this is still the Pentax FF letter thread .. realises it has been totally derailed and has now become a MILC / EVIL / NEX 7 / X100 thread .....
Yeah, what a pity because FF Pentax is such a new and promising topic to discuss!
10-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #415
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Yeah, what a pity because FF Pentax is such a new and promising topic to discuss!
It's one we've never talked about here before.
10-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #416
ogl
Banned

I'd say it's promising topic for last 10 years...
10-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #417

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I see very little "hate" for FF on this thread. Some folks aren't buying into the dream of a FF Pentax, but that's not the same as "hate".
Correct! There is no hate. A full frame K mount would be nice to have. All we old timers would love to use our ancient glass one more time, and then put it away for another 20 years. It's just not the best strategy for Pentax-Ricoh to remain relevant.

The comments about cell phone cameras keeps rattling around in my head. Yes, I can see the one box solution working well for my snapshots, but I do want a proper camera for my photographs. I don't think that's the Q.

And even though there is plenty of competition in the K5 / APS-C space, and yes Pentax' share may only be 5%, I still think it is the place to be for the foreseeable future. The K5 is a great platform and some optical innovation would attract many new users from the D7000, and even a ton of Rebel kits.

And perhaps as a representative of the installed base, the K mount is pretty well the only reason I am still interested in Pentax. If the PK goes, I expect so do we.
10-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #418

They put the idea out there because it's the difference between trying to market a brand-new mirrorless system with no legacy customers (and no significant share of the overall digital market) vs trying to market a mirrorless system with millions of built-in customers. NOT using the K mount is a stupid idea, IMHO.
Precisely!
10-22-2011, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #419
Veteran Member

Kmount mirrorless is a completely lateral move. Why buy a K mount mirrorless when it's the same size/price as an entry level K-r? One of the biggest advantages of mirrorless is to capitalize on the compact size while maintaining the IQ of the larger DSLR's. A lot of people talk about leaving Pentax if K mount goes but likewise a lot of people like myself will leave Pentax for more compact systems. I'm upgrading to something like the Samsung NX200 in 1-2 yrs. It will have 20, 30, and 50 mm pancakes in addition to some higher quality (larger) lenses (the 24 and 85mm for example).

And K mount won't disappear fast. They'll continue to churn out new bodies and selling current lenses as long as users like yourself are buying them. But if Pentax wants to survive and grow it needs do its mirrorless system correctly. And K mount isn't doing it correctly. That's aimed only at keeping current customers that will complain about not having an OVF anyway and will prefer DSLR bodies.

As far as FF goes, I can see K mount FF making more sense since the body has to be larger anyway and there will be less of an advantage for the smaller size. But at the same time a more compact FF option could be something that grabs the market's attention. But I can't see those willing and able to justify a FF camera being concerned with size. They seem to be the ones adding grips for more size not less.
10-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #420
Veteran Member

And of course there are no threads discussing those other subjects either are there .... oh ! That said it is still being rather disrespectful to the thread starter.