Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think I could ever afford an FF camera. But I support Pentax getting into it for the good of the company. What encourages me most is their commitment to the entire DSLR segment! I look forward to seeing what they have planned!

10-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
Wow! Its alive..... I knew it... i knew when i buy (kanikon) FF thay will release Pentax FF And i just bought d700 with 2 glasses... and sold three of my DA lenses i told to myself i keep FF Pentax lenses for 2 years, if thay release FF i'll buy it if thay don't i will sell FA lenses..... Thats mean i can keep them? I tried to put Fa limiteds to D700 body... couldnt make it... then i put nikon lenses on k5 body - it works and i tell you something guys FA lenses burns nikkors....
Even if it's a 'yes', it can't be an immediate 'yes'. Enjoy your D700 in the meantime, it's a great camera.
10-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Enjoy your D700 in the meantime, it's a great camera
but.... where is the green button ....?
10-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
but.... where is the green button ....?
On the K-1

10-18-2011, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Four pages of typical FF junk.

Where is the Pentax Anouncement?
10-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #51

Photos: Albums
Pentax FF would be a dream come true for me. I really like the look of pics shot on a larger than APS-C sensor but I don't really want to (or have the $$$) to go medium format.

Bring it on Pentax!

K5 image quality, FF sensor and sub $5k price would be a huge winner!

I hope Pentax Richoh give canikon a bloody nose
10-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam you are my hero!!

I was just thinking that sooner or later I'd like to move to a brand with a realistic FF DSLR option. You're letter to Pentax (and their apparent response) likely will prevent another Pentaxian departure!

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 10-18-2011 at 06:43 PM.
10-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Four pages of typical FF junk.

Where is the Pentax Anouncement?
While your question is a valid one, I think that referring to expressions of people's hopes as "junk" is a wee bit harsh. For the right price, I'd be interested in a 35mm sensor Pentax DSLR, too, so I hope Ricoh do invest in that line.

And, for those who say they can't afford one, let me say that there was a time in my life when I couldn't afford a new K-mount Pentax, either, but I was pleased to buy a K2DMD second-hand at a very nice price (it was 1981, and I still have it) so don't give up on the idea, just defer it for a while longer. After all (as some like KungPOW have noted), we don't know if or when, yet, a new unit may be available.
10-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #54
Pentaxian

While I haven't been losing sleep over FF, I have been a bit nervous about Richoh's intentions. But committment to the to some higher end stuff is the word I have
beenhoping for. I've spent close to $10,000 in Pentax stuff in the last year, and if their future is the Q line, I've made a very dumb choice of purchases. The KAF mount seems to inclulde a protocol that allows the camera body to determine what lens is mounted. This appears to be the case with all lenses that are Auto focus, but not the case with the A series or older which is why the A series requires manual input as to the focal length.

All of this would make it very feasible and possible to make a high end camera body that worked with all pentax glass. Since there is no APS-C glass that doesn't identify itself as such, a high end body that defaulted to FF, but which recognized 'cropped' glass and cropped accordingly could work with all pentax glass. Given the megapixel count of the likely next sensor, there will be plenty of sensor power for the project.

what you will have is a new feature-----digital cropping built right into the camera. It is the next logical 'new feature' that pentax can add to make a better than
K-5 camera anyway (besides tweaking existing features to work better). For those that don't want to use it they won't have to. For others they can digitally zoom
all over the place within limits of thier glass. Who knows maybe it is possible to use the same technology to incude a 'digital shift' as well.

I don't see this as neglecting the 1/2 frame.----- just adding a digital zoom that will zoom up to FF glass permitting.
10-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
f their future is the Q line
I don't want to sound like a Q-hater here, but I'm 99.9% sure that it won't be

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #56

Very cool, thx Adam!

Where do I send my $5k deposit cheque?

I have a cabinet of old (and new) glass... just waiting.

N.
10-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
While I haven't been losing sleep over FF, I have been a bit nervous about Richoh's intentions. But committment to the to some higher end stuff is the word I have
beenhoping for. I've spent close to $10,000 in Pentax stuff in the last year, and if their future is the Q line, I've made a very dumb choice of purchases. The KAF mount seems to inclulde a protocol that allows the camera body to determine what lens is mounted. This appears to be the case with all lenses that are Auto focus, but not the case with the A series or older which is why the A series requires manual input as to the focal length.

All of this would make it very feasible and possible to make a high end camera body that worked with all pentax glass. Since there is no APS-C glass that doesn't identify itself as such, a high end body that defaulted to FF, but which recognized 'cropped' glass and cropped accordingly could work with all pentax glass. Given the megapixel count of the likely next sensor, there will be plenty of sensor power for the project.

This is exactly how the Nikon FF bodies work (maybe Canon too, I don't know.) It is a mildly useful feature. An aps-c 'frame' gets superimposed over the image, making composition easier.

You also have the option of turning that feature off and just shooting the DX (aps-c) lens in FX (FF) mode, and cropping of the edges later yourself in post. The reason you may want to do that is because some of the aps-c lenses will cover the FF sensor, with increasing vignetting as distance to subject increases. In Pentax's case, there would be fewer lenses you'd even need to shoot in 'crop' mode, as even some of the DA's actually work on film (DA 40, DA 70, DA* 55, DA* 200 & 300, others.)

I'd expect Pentax to offer that feature. On my D700, I'm left with about 5-6MP on the target after auto-crop - If a Pentax FF had a 24mp sensor, it would be around 10-11MP on the target. You wouldn't buy it just to shoot cropped, but it would make a very fine 'aps-c' camera if needed, and work with all your Pentax lenses.

Last edited by jsherman999; 10-18-2011 at 08:02 PM.
10-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #58
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is exactly how the Nikon FF bodies work (maybe Canon too, I don't know.) It is a mildly useful feature. An aps-c 'frame' gets superimposed over the image, making composition easier.

You also have the option of turning that feature off and just shooting the DX (aps-c) lens in FX (FF) mode, and cropping of the edges later yourself in post. The reason you may want to do that is because some of the aps-c lenses will cover the FF sensor, with increasing vignetting as distance to subject increases, etc. In Pentax's case, there would be fewer lenses you'd even need to shoot in 'crop' mode, as even some of the DA's actually work on film (DA 40, DA 70, DA* 55, DA* 200 & 300, others.)

I'd expect Pentax to offer that feature. On my D700, I'm left with about 5-6MP on the target after auto-crop - If a Pentax FF had a 24mp sensor, it would be around 10-11MP on the target. You wouldn't buy it to shoot aps-c, but it would make a very fine 'aps-c' camera if needed, and work with all your Pentax lenses.

I saw this in action on the D3x and I must say that the degree of automation and viewfinder adjustment was quite impressive. A FF camera without this feature these days wouldn't be a very good one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #59
Veteran Member

That's interesting and positive at least. I sent an email to Ricoh Japan in July, but my response wasn't nearly as good as that one... I basically told them the brand features that were important to me and did say in one sentence that I was interested in a full-frame camera, but with an important Pentax trait.
10-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I saw this in action on the D3x and I must say that the degree of automation and viewfinder adjustment was quite impressive. A FF camera without this feature these days wouldn't be a very good one.
Is it an actual optical adjustment?