Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #736
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Alternatively we could stick grandma in the ground when she turns 65 just because she'll probably be dead when she turns 70.
Brilliance!

10-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Dead, currently? No. Definitely alive.

Aging and with numbered days? Now that's a reasonable assertion.

Until the tools that will replace them have matured, DSLRs will have a market.

Alternatively we could stick grandma in the ground when she turns 65 just because she'll probably be dead when she turns 70.
Certainly the days of the DSLR are numbered. As is the universe . It's just a matter of determining the number. I suspect we can make a better estimate of the latter than the former ....
10-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #738
Forum Member

I don't understand, where's the Ricoh answer?? Will we have FF in future(1-2 years) or not!?
10-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterBug60 Quote
Time frame? Let's assume it gets taken before the R&D/budget board. Let us then assume that they agree that it would be a good idea, and the R&D board creates a FF R&D team for the project. It would also be reasonable to assume that it will be a weather sealed body similar to Canon's EOS 5D Mark II, based on previous models. Following said development of therein specified product, it would have to be submitted to the production team to make a sample for testing. Following that, assuming it is right the first time, it will have to be resubmitted to the budget board to decide if it is cheap enough to make and sell for a profit without being unreasonable. Then it is resubmitted to production for mass-production. The following year, it should make it from PENTAX JAPAN to PENTAX USA, again based on previous models. I am aware that some steps are out of order. I don't hope for anything before 2015 at best. Probably 2017, which was my prediction before this correspondence occurred. I hope someone can prove me wrong for the better. Any ideas?
Much of this has already transpired, think this was the first time the subject of a full frame DSLR has been brought up? Pentax even made a full frame prototype years ago called the K-1. It's more a matter of refreshing old designs with newer technology, primarily the sensor, image engine, and AF, but I believe the camera is much further along than you might think, it just needs the green light.

If Ricoh pumps some funding into the project, and makes it a priority as is their stated intent of 'extending [their] product range [aimed at the] Advanced Amateur and Professional photographer,' they could announce it within 6 months I'm guessing, but that's just a guess.

In other news Happy 50th Page, everyone!! 50 pages, 738 posts, and 37 thousand views in under two weeks. Who says there's no interest?

10-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #740
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly lots of interest, even for happy APS-C users like me who may not go FF for a while after it's out - simply because the K-5's doing a great job for most applications. Nevertheless, I'll probably get one just because it's going to transform my FA limiteds to true FF lenses.
10-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #741
Veteran Member

Woot! Just posting on page 50 of a FF thread. Let's see if we can get this thread to 100 pages.
10-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #742

Hi, I am actually trying to read the "here is the response from Pentax" link above but all that does is takes you in a circle back to the "https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/" page ?
What / where is the actual link that WILL allow you to read the response from Pentax ? Thanks

10-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For everyone who missed the response.

Pentax and Full Frame - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
10-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #744

Thanks maxfield_photo !
10-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #745
Forum Member

Reply link does not work for me

When I click the update link, I am taken back to the forum page; not to the reply?
10-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try going to https://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/news-and-rumors.html , scroll down until you see the news article dated 10-2-2011 titled "Pentax and Full Frame", and click the "read more" link at the bottom. If that doesn't work, maybe try a different browser.
10-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, this reply that Adam got . . . . it is almost identical to what I got from Pentax USA. It is what it is, I guess. Oh well.
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try this link:

Pentax and Full Frame - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
10-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
pTTL needs a lot of work, it doesn't even support zones, just channels. Shooting wirelessly, you can't really do anything from the camera position other than dial in EV compensation on the flash.
You can also dial in Master:Slave flash ratio from your attached master flash.

QuoteQuote:
I have a great HSS flash, but I can't use it wirelessly unless I have another on the shoe, AND contributing to the exposure.
Some users have reported success using IR filter or color gels to eliminate exposure contribution by the attached flash, though I have not tried this myself.

QuoteQuote:
The third issue is that when shooting in Av mode, which I don't really do, but some folks seem to like it, the camera tries to get the exposure correct without the flash, then adds the flash on top of that. There needs to be a way to tell the camera "Hey, don't worry, the flash is going to take care of that."
I don't understand this part, as my camera does not do this.
10-31-2011, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #750
Forum Member

The essentials don't change much. We used to wait for new film emulsions for better image quality and thankfully didn't have to stick forever with slow K25 for best results. Now we look forward to new sensors. But it's no longer a case of dropping in a different cassette, you now have to buy a whole new camera. And there's the rub, because when you look around you find that middle-of-the-road dSLRs like the K-x and K-r have meanwhile sacrificed the pentaprism and resorted to the inferior pentamirror in order to cram in more "features".

I don't know about the rest of you but to me the pentaprism viewfinder, with its generous size, brightness and clarity for critical work, is the very essence of SLR photography and I feel betrayed by Pentax (and others) who have decided to reserve it for their high-end models - i.e. those with most bells and whistles - presumably to satisfy "the market". The K-7/K-5 is an expensive way to upgrade your *istDS sensor. That's my beef.

Perhaps the day will come when we'll have interchangeable sensor modules for dSLRs. Is this where Ricoh's clever GXR work is leading?

The consensus here seems to be that an FF SLR must of necessity be bigger and heavier. For that reason I hope Pentax continues to concentrate on APS-C and closes the gap, as long as they also do more to address the shortage of wide-angle glass caused by the 1.5x shift to longer effective focal length. If they go FF I'd prefer to see it in mirrorless rangefinder style, like a grown-up Fuji X100. Then it won't be so massive.