Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #991
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I hate carrying kgs of glasses and bulky (yes, the K-5 is bulky) body.
You don't have to

11-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #992
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Not everyone has the same needs....
That's what I was saying: Not everyone has the same needs. And not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. Even if I actually was into streetphotography. Then I would seriously detest having no OVF. And lack of WR makes it an absolute nogo for me.

You wouldn't even have a fast 24 to choose from!
Oh no, the dispair! The horror!! (Pun intended.)

The CZ 24mm is pretty big on the NEX, but before you complain about that: The NEX-7+24 combo doesn't weigh much more than half the weight of the K-5+DA21 combo.
Nevertheless, the K5/DA21 combo slips in my pocket easily. Why would I want to lose IQ and strip my setup of features to stick it into an even smaller pocket?!?

- Ontopic -

Two things:
There's a lot of pentaxians craving for a Pentax FF.
But there's also loads of phographers in general that crave FF no matter which platform, but just can't afford the FF's of the big brands. There's just not that much to choose from. "Cheap"FF is a gap in the market.

So, if Pentax were to issue a FF camera that is cheaper or more cost-effective then the competitors. Then that wouldn't only satisfy their own user-base, but also draw in new/more customers. They could address more advanced features, like superfast AF and sorts, in a later version.
11-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #993
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak announces new 16mp 35mmFF and APS-C TrueSense CCD sensors - 1001 Noisy Cameras
http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Kodak_Expands_Image_Sensor_Options_for_High_Pe...ce_Imaging.htm

Breaking news
Kodak sold sensor bussiness (patents mostly) on November, 5
Kodak has announced new CCD sensors, a 16mp 35mm full frame sensor (8 fps) with 7.4um pixels and a 16mp APS-H sensor (8 fps) with 5.5um pixels on November, 2.

Last edited by ogl; 11-08-2011 at 07:52 AM.
11-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #994
Loyal Site Supporter

i just mentioned this on the Ricoh will fill a gap thread. a 16MP Ff no video CCD but excellent image quality would most definitely fill a gap. I'd be interested Video is just a gimmick for me anyway (though i know others use it) and there are dedicated options that are better designed for it in any case (I find video with an SLR awkward at best, but then I prefer the big shoulder mounted rigs having used Mini Dv and Betacam versions in the past)

11-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #995
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Breaking news:

Kodak has announced new CCD sensors, a 16mp 35mm full frame sensor (8 fps) with 7.4um pixels and a 16mp APS-H sensor (8 fps) with 5.5um pixels on November, 7.

Hmmm..apparently the pronouncements of death for APS-H sensors were off target.
11-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #996
Pentaxian

It's like they read my mind! 16 MP, Full frame and no video, it's everything I could want in a sensor! Ricoh, are you listening?
11-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #997
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
It's like they read my mind! 16 MP, Full frame and no video, it's everything I could want in a sensor! Ricoh, are you listening?
I hope too....But it would be miracle...
11-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #998
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, no video would mean it's decision time for me. Any upgrade I make in my still camera is going to have to involve video, too.

11-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #999
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Nevertheless, the K5/DA21 combo slips in my pocket easily. Why would I want to lose IQ and strip my setup of features to stick it into an even smaller pocket?!?
Are you saying that the K5+DA21 gives an IQ advantage over NEX-7+CZ24/1.8? Seriously?
11-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #1000
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Yes, I'm glad I didn't promise to eat my hat
11-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #1001
Veteran Member

Pentax can't release any camera without video at this point - FF or otherwise. It is a major feature sought after by many and consumers are more versed in video specs seeking 60p, etc. Also, Pentax can't turn their backs on current and potential videographers. Tons of 5DM2s have been sold whose primary purpose weren't stills.
In fact, for those who really want a Pentax FF (I'm more an APS-C guy) it would probably be wise to clamor for class-leading advanced video functionality, too - expose the camera to a wider audience.
11-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #1002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's true, but why should Pentax forget about us (current and future K-mount users) and dedicate themselves into fulfilling Emacs wishes?
I don't think they should, but as far as I can tell, the NEX-7 is a game changer: A compact "rangefinder-like" camera with a really serious EVF - a much smaller package but with functionality like a really serious DSLR. Now of course not everyone of us wants such a small camera, but some - like young women with small hands - may feel much more comfortable with such a small camera than with even a compact DSLR like the K-5. So anyone that ignores this evolving market will lose in the long end, IMHO.
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #1003
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Does anyone know with certainty that all the sensors listed were intended for consumer cameras at all?
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #1004
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Does anyone know with certainty that all the sensors listed were intended for consumer cameras at all?
That's a good question. If you clink on the link about the sale of the sensor division, that same point is raised. I don't think anybody really knows at this point.
11-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #1005
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
APS-H is designed specifically for use with 35mm lenses. Most likely it would be for higher end cameras and not "consumer" grade.