Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #1126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Why do you still own the lens if you have and prefer the Zeiss 21mm? There are plenty of people out there who can get incredible images and don't blame their lenses.
I dont' prefer the zeiss. It's very good optically, but too huge.
QuoteQuote:
Personally, I think the build quality, size and design of the DA Ltds make them worth their price.
Agree. To say, my favourite shot from this night series was taken with 15Ltd
QuoteQuote:
I think people who buy these silly expensive lenses just go out of their way to justify their ridiculous expense. The DA Ltds just aren't expensive enough to be considered lust worthy to them.
Agree. But's not the reason to praise their non-existent qualities. I repeat, I was very amazed how popular 35Ltd here. I was even more amazed when someone told I should prefer makro-planar 50 f2 over mine A 50 f1.2. LOL. Lens designers intentionally introduces abberations in order to hide skin inperfections and so on. And these think they are the most smart, sharper ≡ better, etc.

11-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #1127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
yes unfortunately emacs thinks a high contrast lens is a bad thing somehow now...

Emacs should blame the bad sensor with limited dynamic range. You shouldn't be looking for low contrast lenses to "compress" ( which in fact we can argue that but lets leave it like that for the sake ) . Contrast is a personal preference... just because digital sensor suck ass with high contrast lenses that doesn't mean you should be looking for low contrast lenses to equalize the DR of your scene( thus producing "more pleasing images" ). Sensors are known for their limited dynamic range and high contrast ( compared to our eyes ).

Why don't you show us the same comparison on a low dynamic range scene or same scene and use something like a high dynamic range negative film. I did my tests, have you ? You'll see that now there is nothing good about your low contrast CZeiss... technically speaking. Artistically you might still prefer the low contrast ( i wouldn't ) but it would have nothing to do with the high contrast/cartoonish colors you talk about. If you used a normal contrast film you would have the photo you so much love with the 15ltd ( smooth transitions between highlights etc... good contrast ) and you would say the 21 now looks washed out and low contrast so what you are basically doing is using a low contrast lens to overcome your sensor inabilities and then you go on blaming high contrast lenses ( for example limited, although I would say FA limited ares not high contrast lenses ) because todays sensors are crappy. You are using a high contrast lens in a very contrast scene with a very bad medium(sensor) drange-wise. Start blaming your sensor I say

Now let's go back to the FF talk.
Can't agree more!

Didn't the HDR technique come into existance to overcome that issue?
11-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #1128

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow...76 pages..about...what?
11-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #1129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Agree. But's not the reason to praise their non-existent qualities. I repeat, I was very amazed how popular 35Ltd here. I was even more amazed when someone told I should prefer makro-planar 50 f2 over mine A 50 f1.2. LOL. Lens designers intentionally introduces abberations in order to hide skin inperfections and so on. And these think they are the most smart, sharper ≡ better, etc.
But, this is entirely different from what you were complaing about a few posts back!

11-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #1130
Inactive Account

oh, seems good news.
my k20d still can wait this product.
11-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #1131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Wow...76 pages..about...what?
That's exactly my thoughts.

Pentax representative wrote quite formal answer to a letter. So what?
11-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #1132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

This thread is much more void of news and rumors than most of the threads that have been moved by admins lately.
It's still fun though - but I think we need a new "chatting and dreaming about FF" sub-forum
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #1133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

Well we need a starting rumor to keep busy about an upcoming FF camera This one was the best sinds late summer!

11-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #1134
Veteran Member

Or you guys could just get a D700. It's a great camera, if rather large. Nikon lenses are pretty good too.
11-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #1135
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well we need a starting rumor to keep busy about an upcoming FF camera This one was the best sinds late summer!
ROFL

yep that pretty much sums it up

we'll get a lull in activity next month and come January there will be a new FF Pentax is coming this year? thread
11-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #1136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
ROFL

yep that pretty much sums it up

we'll get a lull in activity next month and come January there will be a new FF Pentax is coming this year? thread
Agree. That is really the way it seems to be...

I guess that proves that we really do want FF!
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #1137
Veteran Member

Yes, but unfortunately I think a lot of the thread that will undoubtedly come in January will be full of cut and pastes from this one!
11-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #1138

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Or you guys could just get a D700. It's a great camera, if rather large. Nikon lenses are pretty good too.
Thatīs basically what Pentax "has been telling us"... But thereīs new hope when Ricoh is in charge.

I will wait until the next round of releases and then Iīll be going FF.
11-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #1139
Veteran Member

Seems like there is lots and lots of folks who are waiting for Pentax FF couple of years now from like 2003 till today.... im waiting from 2007 roughly, last month i didnt stand and bought el cheapo d700... what a relief... how many people like me out there? Im afraid that Pentax wont release FF, it would be brake up from tradition of this company... Remember Pentax couple of times tried to release professional camera i remember mzs - but always relies on moderate cheapo products like legendary k1000... maybe we will expirience another attempt maybe not....
11-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #1140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Thatīs basically what Pentax "has been telling us"... But thereīs new hope when Ricoh is in charge.

I will wait until the next round of releases and then Iīll be going FF.
If you wait about 6 months you can probably pick up a D700 for $1500. I just got one at a good price. It's a great camera if little large. But after using it the last two days, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The build quality is top notch and should be. The manual focus on it is a breeze.

Who knows what Ricoh is going to do. I have GXR and it is an outstanding camera. Ricoh makes some quirky but spectacular cameras. For example the GRD series cameras are great but they are fixed at 28mm. I like that but I would guess most people want a zoom. With the GXR the only modules worth getting are the 28 and the 50. The zoom modules are nowhere near as good. Again, the 28 and 50 are perfect for me since I really don't use anything longer than 85mm. I would guess I'm definitely in the minority there. The image quality is quite stunning on the GXR so I think the Pentax brand has a very bright future with Ricoh in charge. I'm not sure I'm going to stick with Pentax. I really been impressed with the Nikon lenses. Plus you can use all the old AI and AI-S lenses on the D700. You can also have the pre AI's converted for about $35. I just got the 28mm F2.8 AI. That's one great lens. Since I prefer to manual focus I can't imagine needing another DSLR body for quite some time. I just printed a few shots at 12 X 18 today they are as good as I would ever need. The one camera that interests me is the upcoming Fuji.

If I was guessing I'd bet the next Pentax camera won't be a Full Frame. I'd say 2013 or 2014 is more realistic given the lens lineup they currently have.