Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #1171

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now seriously, K-5 had the most problems of all Pentaxes i believe (while being the best one), and you think is time for FF? Who will buy that? 1-200 people?

There are not enough amateurs who will buy Pentax FF.

And 99% of "pro", "event photographers" etc. are using Canikon. Seriously, Pentax FF would need to be out of this world performance to convince those guys to buy it, since they depend on equipment to earn some money.

11-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #1172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Now seriously, K-5 had the most problems of all Pentaxes i believe (while being the best one), and you think is time for FF? Who will buy that? 1-200 people?
I believe they are people who bought K-5, which was overpriced compared to D7000 while being inferior technologically.
So they are people who want IQ jump.
For example, I stopped buying everything from Pentax due to quality issues. But the FF DSLR is the thing I will definitely purchase (and the last thing, I don't need bulky SLR stuff anymore).

Last edited by Emacs; 11-13-2011 at 06:43 AM.
11-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #1173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

And 99% of "pro", "event photographers" etc. are using Canikon. Seriously, Pentax FF would need to be out of this world performance to convince those guys to buy it, since they depend on equipment to earn some money.
Well I think with the good camera and futures at the right price there is a good market for such a camera. Not huge, but I guess that it is possible to sell 25.000 items a year.

Getting a bigger marketshare in future is a different thing, since that is a path to build on with advertising and presence in shops. That doesn't come overnight.
11-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #1174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
I meant if you have to buy a Nikon, why not wait for the D800?
I just recently bought a D700. Maybe if you are making a living with the camera. It focuses extremely fast, ISO 3200 is fantastic, the image quality for the average user is beyond outstanding. I'm just not sure how much faster the auto focus can get. You are really getting to the realm of it somewhat meaningless micro seconds. If you are taking photos of racing cars I guess OK. No offense intended but I guess if someone is a gear head where the gear itself becomes the point OK. I do understand that. I like camera gear as long as it doesn't basically duplicate something I already have. Or perhaps if you are actually paying your mortgage and buying your groceries with your camera OK. Me, I'd wait until the next Nikon comes out and buy the D700 at a discount. It's really an amazing camera for stills. For video I'd go with the Canon. Or just wait until Pentax releases one. It will probably be in the next 2-3 years. Really unless you just are obsessed with gear statistics you can take amazing photos with the K5 as long as you have the right lenses.

And I might add it's built like a tank. It's not going to break anytime soon + Nikon has a great warranty. They still make manual focus lenses for it too (so maybe I'm not the person to comment on the auto focus stuff). I just can't decide whether to keep the K5 or not. I love it but I only need on DSLR.

Pentax will make a great Full Frame camera at some point. But I think if they made one now people would be disappointed with the zoom lenses.

11-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #1175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I believe they are people who bought K-5, which was overpriced compared to D7000 while being inferior technologically.
People bought the "inferior" K5 because it did one thing much, much better than the D7000....work with K-mount lenses.
11-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #1176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
People bought the "inferior" K5 because it did one thing much, much better than the D7000....work with K-mount lenses.
And thus they'll buy K-mount FF
11-13-2011, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #1177
Veteran Member

Didn't read all 79 pages of the thread ( please forgive me ) - but I read the response from Pentax and I can't see it being anything other than a generic response full of vacuous magnolia 'corporate speak' that could have been worded exactly the same whatever product or feature was asked for.....

Dear Pentax

Many many consumers of Pentax Cameras have also been asking for an octagonal shaped underwater Penquin thrashing device with a battery life of more than 2 hours and a 100Mp sensor. Is there any possibility such a product will be released in the near future ....

Reply......

11-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #1178
Veteran Member

Smeggypants, what you do is just cruel.... we dont contribute to this thread because it states something we do just because we know haw to dream - this thread doesnt have any other background than our imagination - you realistic cold and cruelish approach just ruined that.... ;-)))

11-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #1179
Veteran Member

This is crazy talk. Or trolling. As we well know, the K-5 has a number of pros and cons vs. the D7000. It has a better, much quieter shutter. It has a more solid magnesium body. It has integral IS. And of course, the most important tech, the sensor, comes from Sony and is the same.

I see you didn't respond to my comments on your lens complaints and are now on to new silliness.
11-13-2011, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #1180
Veteran Member

AWSOME!!! I can't wait!! Pentax is going to make an octagonal shaped underwater Penquin thrashing device?? Count me in.. I hope it works better than my 4.1mp Fuji P&S above water penguing thrasher.. it died upon being submersed! I couldn't even thrash a single penguin.. and Octogonal now!! That is a HUGE improvement over any others on the market! This product absolutely will be a GAME CHANGER!

Thanks for the heads up Smeggy, insight into the markets unknown!
11-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #1181

The 'problems' the K-5 had were few and minor when viewed against all other brands. I don't see anything to call out here. Compared to some of the other goofs the big boys have had over the last 5 years, the K-5 release was pretty darn good. I'm only aware of two: the sensor stain issue which is ancient history, and possibly the mystery of the self-ejecting lens release button

As for 'not enough pros/amateurs will buy Pentax FF' ... you know the world just passed 7 billion people, right? That kind of growth means there are a LOT of new photographers out there, shooting with P&S junk, looking for their next step up.

Let me put that in some kind of perspective. Assuming that gifted photographers are akin to geniuses in terms of rarity, China graduates more geniuses from high school every year than the USA graduates high school students, period. Those are scary big numbers.

China too far from the Pentax homeland of Japan to consider it a market? (heh.) It's been well known for some time that Japan is basically going to disappear as a population 'soon', as parents aren't replacing themselves with two children, and their immigration policies don't favour outsiders. So you have to know that Japanese companies are aware of this shrinking market and looking for growth.

I believe there is absolutely no need to convince anyone already bought into another FF system to change to Pentax. If they do, and if the camera is that great... that's just icing on the cake. There are enough new shooters out there already - they just need an option.
11-13-2011, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #1182
Veteran Member

Please remove head from arse... if you speak video shooting quality, and AF.. yes the D7000 is ahead.. I wanted a camera, not a video camera.. I would assume most of us (like myself) who purchased the K-5 wanted the best image IQ available in that format/price range.
I probably could have probably stretched the dollars to get a D300s or D700 or 5D mark II.. but then my money for a flash and lenses would have been next to zero.. And since I mainly shoot landscape I wanted the dynamic range.. the K-5 is the king.
So if the D7000 has the same sensor and is technologically superior.. why does it not do as well in terms of DR or even color depth?

So why do you own a K-5 instead of a D7000 if it's so superior? If it's because you already had glass from your previous body.. then your just too lazy to put in the effort to sell it off and change systems, because clearly you would be a happier Canikonian.
11-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #1183
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Major camera manufacturer using Internet trolls to promote their own products | Photo Rumors

Just thinking...
11-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #1184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
As for 'not enough pros/amateurs will buy Pentax FF' ... you know the world just passed 7 billion people, right? That kind of growth means there are a LOT of new photographers out there, shooting with P&S junk, looking for their next step up.

Let me put that in some kind of perspective. Assuming that gifted photographers are akin to geniuses in terms of rarity, China graduates more geniuses from high school every year than the USA graduates high school students, period. Those are scary big numbers.
+1

I've talked about this also in relation the the interchangeable lens emerging markets that Ricoh obviously sees.

The whole ILC balloon will expand over the next decade and onward. The part of that balloon surface mapped to FF will be expanding as well. If Ricoh wants to be in the game strongly, they can be. If they choose not to be, they put their main ILC asset - K-mount - in danger.

11-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #1185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
This is crazy talk. Or trolling. As we well know, the K-5 has a number of pros and cons vs. the D7000. It has a better, much quieter shutter. It has a more solid magnesium body. It has integral IS. And of course, the most important tech, the sensor, comes from Sony and is the same.

I see you didn't respond to my comments on your lens complaints and are now on to new silliness.
And don't forget, the K-5 is aimed at the serious amateurs/semi pro, the D7000 is aimed, well I think it has an identity crisis. It has all the bells and whistles of a semi pro camera, and then scene modes .

And about lenses, if you need a good one, that Pentax hasn't got. Go to one of the third party makers. And no, they do not just make bad lenses, they do make excelent lenses.
I think it is ridiculous to keep on complaining about lack of lenses, when you can get good lenses. Ok, it doesn't say Pentax on the lens, but that hasn't stopped me getting one if I really needed one.