Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #1366
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,700
I agree, I hope that with all these sensor technologies and options Pentax/Ricoh can create a market window for themselves to really gain some market ground.. I guess it depends on which companies will be selling sensors, not just making them.. (fuji's sensor in particular).

11-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #1367
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,158
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This kind of argument is flawed by definition.
+1

Also, Ron, do you mean "numbers sold" or "revenue generated"? These cameras have much higher margins than a D40.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Or, if you draft and perfect a very solid and respectable full frame camera that gets just about everything right except being ground-breaking, you have the Sony A900, and the market will give you a great big yawn.
I agree it was/is a great camera, but it matters
  • whether the manufacturer (Sony, in this instance) is respected as a manufacturer of high-end photography equipment.
  • the whole system makes sense (too few and too expensive Sony lenses, compared to the established two).
  • the sales system is ready to support your campaign (I'm sure many salesmen had good reasons to keep pushing Canikon).

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Actually it got several things wrong - mediocre high-iso performance, mediocre AF, no Live View, and a paltry-yet-expensive list of new lenses. (And it carried a Sony name.)
As you can see above, we agree on the "Sony" name and the lenses.

I don't think better AF would have saved it; I'd be glad to have its AF performance in my Pentax camera.

I believe "no Live View" could be construed to appeal to the serious photographer (not necessarily nowadays anymore, but when the A900 was introduced, I believe LiveView still had a stigma of catering to shooters with a P&S history and most of the time the implementations were so bad that they didn't provide much value).

The "mediocre high-iso performance" is debatable, I guess. I don't think it was/is as bad as it was purported. I know professional photographers who much prefer the output of the A900 to what a Canon 5D can spit out.

If the A900 could mount my K-mount glass, I'd be all over it.
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #1368
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Or, if you draft and perfect a very solid and respectable full frame camera that gets just about everything right except being ground-breaking, you have the Sony A900, and the market will give you a great big yawn.
would have bought an A900 , if it were k-mount
11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #1369
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,712
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I agree, I hope that with all these sensor technologies and options Pentax/Ricoh can create a market window for themselves to really gain some market ground.. I guess it depends on which companies will be selling sensors, not just making them.. (fuji's sensor in particular).
Companies like Fuji and Samsung need to sell their sensors to keep production volume up.

11-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #1370
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,118
What Pentax has done with that little market it has, and that little Hoya funding and support, is amazing. Pentax has had multiple handicaps and still did fairly well. I really do think this marriage with Ricoh is going to be very fruitfull. And fullframe isn't all that far away at all.
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #1371
Senior Member
zekewhipper's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 298
It's a form letter.
11-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #1372
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What Pentax has done with that little market it has, and that little Hoya funding and support, is amazing. Pentax has had multiple handicaps and still did fairly well.
True. before Hoya (post-90's and pre-K-x was it?), Pentax had little recognition in most markets even in Asia. It was good that Pentax also abandoned the FF project with the Philips sensor, or it would prolly have gone down also like Contax.
11-21-2011, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #1373
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,327
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
True. before Hoya (post-90's and pre-K-x was it?), Pentax had little recognition in most markets even in Asia. It was good that Pentax also abandoned the FF project with the Philips sensor, or it would prolly have gone down also like Contax.
I think that one certain way Pentax can shoot themselves in the balls is to cater to the needs of the forum members here.

11-21-2011, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #1374
Veteran Member
maxfield_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,215
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think that one certain way Pentax can shoot themselves in the balls is to cater to the needs of the forum members here.
And where does your average joe go to get opinions on cameras? The internet, of course, to sites like this. Like us or not, we're the vocal minority, the promoters or the detractors depending on what kind of camera they produce. This type of camera will not be aimed at first time camera buyers anyway, we're talking about a serious professional or at least semi-professional imaging tool. A first time camera buyer can't articulate their desires based on experience, we can.
11-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #1375
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,118
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
And where does your average joe go to get opinions on cameras? The internet, of course, to sites like this. Like us or not, we're the vocal minority, the promoters or the detractors depending on what kind of camera they produce. This type of camera will not be aimed at first time camera buyers anyway, we're talking about a serious professional or at least semi-professional imaging tool. A first time camera buyer can't articulate their desires based on experience, we can.

How true!

This forum has a wealth of very good ideas and improvements. It would be foolish for Pentax marketing or R&D not to read along on this forum. And I always thought they did read along... Until they released the Q.
11-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #1376
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 83
FF is no threat.

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
It's just a way to see at what happened then.

I'd say that with no other reasonably priced FF sensor on the horizon, Pentax eventually chose to make APS-C their only digital format (like Olympus did with four third) and revamped their lens line accordingly, until last year when 33x44 mm format was added.
What makes you think Pentax have no intentions to look at FF again? With all the rumours about a Pentax FF over the years, I'm sure they've been keeping a close eye on that sector of the market. A number of people seem to perceive FF as a threat. Maybe it's because they own a K5 or something and don't want to see their camera not being a range topper anymore?
11-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #1377
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Here is the problem. Sony, Nikon, & Pentax are all using the same sensors. What will really separate the cameras is the support technology. AF, SR, Lens technology and QC. Since Pentax will have access to the same sensors as the competition the future success of the line depends on advancements in these support technologies. Where can Pentax find and advantage?

Put out an APS-H body in the $1,500 price point. Don't use it to compete against FF, use it to compete against APS-C and it will be a huge success.
SR, AF, OVF, and lens quality are going to be where the advantages are found.

I skipped the K-5 so I will probably upgrade to the K-5's replacement IF I see advances in those areas. Better AF, Better SR, Better OVF, Better lenses.

Kodak's new CCDs are interesting.
Fuji's new Organic Sensor technology is interesting.
Samsung's new sensors look to be solid performers.
Sony is doing really good things with its sensors.

We have never had this many really good sensor options.
There is a lot of sence in this and I'm glad that more people do start to see that APS-H could be a very good next step in dslr.


@D40 it was just a commend that came to my mind when I was looking at that number of FF camera's that came to the market. There are only two good sellars in it (5Dii and D700) while the rest only had limited marketshare.
11-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #1378
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jakarta
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 70
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There is a lot of sence in this and I'm glad that more people do start to see that APS-H could be a very good next step in dslr..
why APS-H? I'm thinking about a bigger size. A 1.2x crop sensor. Make it 30x20mm and make it $2000 to $2500. And position it to compete against FF.
with the current image quality of K5 I'm optimistic that the future sensor tech and the sensor size increasement to 1.2x crop will surely be capable to be -at least- on par with FF.

I'm not sure pentax FF dslr will survive the battle. But I'm thinking about FF mirrorless camera, and if possible, make it K mount and WR body. It surely will compete nicely with other MLs and also attractive to those who dream of Leica M but with limited budget.
11-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #1379
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,235
There's no point in yet another crop. Stay with APS-C or go Full Frame.
Rest is mess.
11-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #1380
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
There's no point in yet another crop. Stay with APS-C or go Full Frame.
Rest is mess.
AOL. But IF they're going to special order a custom sized sensor, I'd say that rather than ordering a "half empty bottle" sensor with smaller than 24x36 size, a 33x44 CMOS sensor with a lower pixel count than the current 645D (i.e. for a less expensive MF model with LV and video...) would be a more "Be Interesting" solution
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, bodies, body, dslr, full-frame, lenses, lineup, pentax, system, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full frame pentax cem.kumuk Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 11-12-2010 03:13 PM
Pentax and Full Frame... Shutter-bug Photographic Technique 60 11-03-2010 10:03 AM
Pentax A 50/1.2 on Full Frame aegisphan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 10-28-2010 04:16 PM
News Regarding Advertising on PentaxForums.com: An Official Statement Adam Site Suggestions and Help 5 03-24-2010 07:37 PM
Official: New DSLR Body is Coming; Full Frame Model is Under Planning! RiceHigh Pentax News and Rumors 78 08-04-2008 06:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top