Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #1411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got SO fed up with the lack of a proper Pentax full frame, that I sold my Canon 5D and bought a Pentax Q.

(I know, this is incomprehensible, but I just dit id )

11-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #1412
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I got SO fed up with the lack of a proper Pentax full frame, that I sold my Canon 5D and bought a Pentax Q.

That's my kind of logic!
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #1413
Veteran Member

That is far more healthy than what I did.
I sat complaining silently in front of my remainig takumars. And then sold yet another few ones. It is, in a miserable way, the expression of some sort of despair.
11-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #1414
Pentaxian

I'm guessing that I will get you into my APS-H camp

11-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #1415
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
APS-X the Pentax crop.
How about APS-K? =)) 30x30, looks fun! Though that would mean a totally new line of lenses (and expenses!)
11-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #1416
Pentaxian

I got SO fed up with the lack of a proper Pentax full frame, that I sold my Canon 5D and bought a Pentax Q. (I know, this is incomprehensible, but I just dit id )
Perhaps you would feel better if you gave me your 77 limited. No sense in having all that full frame glass and no camera to support it. It's just another painful reminder, allow me ease your burden.
11-21-2011, 10:21 PM - 2 Likes   #1417
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q is one of the cameras that I just don't understand the need for. If I care enough about IQ to deal with interchangeable prime lenses then I probably care enough to go for a larger sensor and carry around a larger camera. If size and convenience are the most important factors then any new smart phone will do.

BSI is cool tech and an obvious step forward. There is a good chance the heat issues will be resolved and they will be able to make larger sensors like m4/3. If Panasonic can put BSI sensors in a m4/3 body they will easily exceed APS-C performance.

Exactly who is the target demographic for the Q? James Bond fans?
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #1418
Pentaxian

I am officially flabbergasted. Up to a point I can understand getting rid of the 5D, but buying a Q!?!? Especially a sane person such as you. Peter, check your calender - it's not April fool's day!

11-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #1419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The Q is one of the cameras that I just don't understand the need for. If I care enough about IQ to deal with interchangeable prime lenses then I probably care enough to go for a larger sensor and carry around a larger camera.
I agree. Doesn't make sense to me

QuoteQuote:
If size and convenience are the most important factors then any new smart phone will do.
You don't need a smart phone, get a Sony Cybershot with the same Exmor Sensor technology as the Q

this is what I use

QuoteQuote:
BSI is cool tech and an obvious step forward. There is a good chance the heat issues will be resolved and they will be able to make larger sensors like m4/3. If Panasonic can put BSI sensors in a m4/3 body they will easily exceed APS-C performance.

Exactly who is the target demographic for the Q? James Bond fans?
and it's far more discrete than the Q, Although it doesn't have the name to satisfy James Bond Fans
11-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #1420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I am officially flabbergasted. Up to a point I can understand getting rid of the 5D, but buying a Q!?!? Especially a sane person such as you. Peter, check your calender - it's not April fool's day!

I refuse to think that the Q is inadequate for my needs. I have lots of serious stuff, that for sure. But I want some fun too and the Q will provide that. And I honestly think that I can do more with the Q than many of you folks think is possible.

The sole reason for the Q is the fun factor because you can put anything in front of its sensor. A Sony Cybershot certainly cannot do that. I even hoarded some D-mount cine primes (Cine Yashinons and Zunow) and the Kipon D-mount to Q adapter to see how these work.

Last edited by Asahiflex; 11-22-2011 at 03:48 AM.
11-22-2011, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #1421
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think that one certain way Pentax can shoot themselves in the balls is to cater to the needs of the forum members here.

Eloquently put. Pentax must decide between the photographers out there and the techno-freaks in here, who clearly have different (non-photographic) priorities. Was there ever life BD (Before Digital) for them?

FF film photography was affordable for almost everyone. Posters here are trying to make FF digital the preserve of the well-heeled few with their ridiculous demands. If Ricoh-Pentax bother to read this thread, and take it seriously, they'll throw their hands up in horror and commit hara-kiri en masse.
11-22-2011, 04:17 AM   #1422
Veteran Member

$1,999 5D MARK II instock at Henrys again

$1,999 5D MARK II instock at Henrys again

CANON EOS-5D MK II DIGITAL SLR BODY 2764B005 - Henry's best camera store in Canada

Not sure if this is a black friday deal as this 5DII special $1999 price ran last month until Henry's stock was depleted. I've read elsewhere on Fred Miranda Canon forum that Canon USA is fine with honoring Canon Canada dslr purchases.

I continue to think Pentax should offer a full frame k mount dslr though in reality I probably won't buy one a year or two or three down the road due to getting my 24x36 needs and related lenses elsewhere.

I bet I would have bought Full Frame K Mount before I added my first 5D in 2008, had that been an option.

Or better yet, had Nikon D700 been available in March 2008 I would have bought it instead of Canon 5D.
I got into Pentax System because I was opposed to buying into Eos System when I bought my first Pentax autofocus film camera in 2002. Being a Canon FD system owner I had extreme bias against Canon EOS back then for abandoning my FD mount lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
This is a great post. If folks need or want a FF as expressed so passionately on this thread then they should just purchase one of the excellent FF cameras currently available. I plan to pick up a 5DM2 on Black Friday, too.

For some, I think there is a lot of frustration that a substantial investment has been sunk into Pentax glass when they really want a body that exists on another platform. Some can afford to maintain 2 systems and simply buy what they want. Some have tallied the current market value of their Pentax outfit against the Nikon and/or Canon material in their B&H shopping cart and sadly acknowledge either an unacceptable loss or inability to afford replacement glass. Then it's off to the forum to endlessly demand that Pentax make a FF camera in order to protect their investment. I remember when I first joined this forum there was someone called 36X24NOW or something and these same wants and desires were harped on ad infinitum.

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-22-2011 at 04:42 AM.
11-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #1423
Pentaxian

an unfocused troll?

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote

Eloquently put. Pentax must decide between the photographers out there and the techno-freaks in here, who clearly have different (non-photographic) priorities.

I'm curious, what are my "non-photographic priorities?"

11-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #1424
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I'm curious, what are my "non-photographic priorities?"
This endless obsession with the latest-and-greatest, bells-and-whistles technology. For countless thousands photography is not about that. Photography = drawing with light, not getting saddled with the huge costs of pointless technology 'frills'. It's the difference between the 'petrolhead' and the motorist who wants to get from A to B. We have a whole lotta camera petrolheads on this thread.

"Then it's off to the forum to endlessly demand that Pentax make a FF camera in order to protect their investment," says MrPetkus.

Who can blame them? They laid out good money for lenses to do an FF job. If Pentax wishes to keep its so-far loyal customer base it'll provide continuity.
11-23-2011, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #1425
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote

" Posters here are trying to make FF digital the preserve of the well-heeled few with their ridiculous demands. If Ricoh-Pentax bother to read this thread, and take it seriously, they'll throw their hands up in horror and commit hara-kiri en masse.

No Way. The Sony DSLR-A850 was the cheapest FF DSLR when it entered the market. I'm hoping that Pentax will be able to beat it in the reasonably priced FF stakes, and still keep it a real DSLR and not some kind of EVIL/translucent mirror thing.