Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #1441
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
And 67,000 views, a thousand just in the last day; someone is paying attention.
Same 50 people, checking the thread over and over.

11-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #1442

I've not contributed before, but look in most days to see if there are any developements.
11-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #1443
Veteran Member

I wonder how long the time window is to buy in to new sensor generations. I mean, if Nikon and sony have decided to make a new FF sensor exclusively for their own use, it may be difficult to come in afterwards and buy sensors.

This may result in that even if Ricoh suddenly wants to make a FF camera, the sensor train may have left already för the upcoming generation sensors.

Just a thought.
11-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #1444

The K-7 was around from Q4 2009 to Q4 2010. The K-5 has been around since Q4 2010 and continues to live through Q4 2011 so far. The price drop may mean that a refresh is imminent. The K10 and K20 were both around for around 6 or 7 quarters though, so there may be still some time before a hardware refresh occurs.

That being said, the K-r is kinda getting there too. There has got to be something announced sometime at least by Q1, if not Q2 2012.

11-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #1445
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
When will K-5 be officially discontinued? With the $300 rebate, puts K-5 at $1200. Must be hard to pass up.

Here in the UK, a K-5 body is now £718 and a K-7 £790. The K-5 has dropped like a stone while the K-7 is dearer than I paid 15 months ago. What's going on? Is the K-5 about to be pulled and pass into obsolescence? Are we about to see a new launch to commemorate the Pentax-Ricoh wedding? A digitized XR-7 FF would do me very nicely thank-you.
11-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #1446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
And 67,000 views, a thousand just in the last day; someone is paying attention.
But how many are unique page views? How many members does this forum have? There are 50 or so really active members who make up a lot of the traffic.
11-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #1447
Veteran Member

Sony A77
Nikon D400 (Spring 2012)
Canon 7DII (Spring 2012)

I would think Ricoh wants to make a splash at the Spring show and let everyone know they are in the building. Work on the K-5 replacement would have started the day after the K-5 was released so Pentax has to have something pretty close to being ready. What impact has the Ricoh deal had on the K-5 replacement?

Pentax has a history of using sensors from Sony, Samsung, & Kodak. Really no telling what we will see in the next Pentax.

11-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #1448
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
But how many are unique page views? How many members does this forum have? There are 50 or so really active members who make up a lot of the traffic.
as of right now 1564 (179 members and 1385 guests) online- so members are actually the smallest portion of viewers with close to 10 x as many lurkers viewing the forum at the moment. Any time i've looked this is a normal number
the biggest day was" Most users ever online was 4,254, 20th Apr 2009 at 04:18." that was the day the first K7 pics dropped i think about a month before the official announcement

Oh and there are 39,757 members
11-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #1449
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I wonder how long the time window is to buy in to new sensor generations. I mean, if Nikon and sony have decided to make a new FF sensor exclusively for their own use, it may be difficult to come in afterwards and buy sensors.

This may result in that even if Ricoh suddenly wants to make a FF camera, the sensor train may have left already för the upcoming generation sensors.

Just a thought.
As written here and there, the production costs of larger sensors are so high and returns so thiny that there is no risk for limitation in the SLR industry.
Appart maybe for Samsung, which has it's own semiconductor plant in Israël and is not a Japanese company ...
11-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #1450
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm interested in Ricoh-Pentax making a FF camera because I'm hoping it will make the K-5 a bit less expensive than it is now, at a faster rate.

But one thing I'm sure is, no matter how good a FF camera Pentax makes, a lot of "publicly trusted" reviewers and sellers will diss it just because it's not C/N/S.
11-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #1451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
But one thing I'm sure is, no matter how good a FF camera Pentax makes, a lot of "publicly trusted" reviewers and sellers will diss it just because it's not C/N/S.
Actually I find that, by and large, the educated web review sites tend to be fairly Pentax-friendly, it is the general public that may dismiss it because it's not one of the big three. DPReview in particular seems to be a strong advocate for Pentax, and that's good because it's one of the most visited photography sites on the web. I think anyone who is in the market for a full frame camera is going to do their homework, it's not like buying a point-and-shoot. Sure, there's the Ken Rockwells of the world, or Matt from Art of the Image, but I think sometimes folks like that do as much to boost Pentax sales by just being themselves and campaigning against the company.
11-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #1452
Pentaxian

I'm interested in Ricoh-Pentax making a FF camera because I'm hoping it will make the K-5 a bit less expensive than it is now, at a faster rate.
Wrong reason. And why would it work this way?
I'm interested in a higher level camera (than the K-5) because:
- it would (probably) help increasing the market share
- it could help develop some technologies in a higher margin camera, which would then make it into the lower levels (like Canikon is doing)
- new lenses (certainly, if FF)
- I might buy it, if not overly expensive (not that I need something like that)
11-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #1453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- it could help develop some technologies in a higher margin camera, which would then make it into the lower levels (like Canikon is doing)
- I might buy it, if not overly expensive (not that I need something like that)
And then Pentax can start crippling their lower price point cameras like the K-5 to protect sales of their higher price point cameras.... Like Canon and Nikon. Awesome!

One of the reasons the K-5 is such a good camera for the money is that Pentax has no higher line to protect, so they can put everything into the K-5 line. If a FF comes out expect Pentax to scale back premium features in their lower lines to justify the price premium. Canon, Nikon, & Sony all do this.
11-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #1454
Pentaxian

Is the 7D crippled? Nope, I wouldn't say so - on the contrary, the higher priced 5D MkII is (sort of).
Is the D300s crippled? Nope; it's just outdated, waiting for a replacement. I wouldn't care D700 crippled either.
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #1455
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- I might buy it, if not overly expensive (not that I need something like that
And I hope it will be a much better camera then K-5 (already is) and within reach of my budget (why I still support the APS-H variant).