10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did anyone see this message?
It was posted in the ricoh website....

Some folks worry about missing K5 in the picture - afraid that Ricoh will discontinue the K-mount but keep 645D mount and Q-mount...
Can Ricoh assure K-mount will be continue? FF will be great but I am grateful enough if APS-C line with K-mount will continue to come. =)

The link to this pic is here: http://www.ricoh.com/about/pri/index.html
10-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
The points you made are very valid. I started out with a K10D as an amateur, started getting jobs, started collecting glass, and have become a full-time photog. For some high profile jobs (including video) I rented the 5D mkII, and was almost about to switch systems. The economic crisis and the fact that I already owned sone sweet Pentax lenses made me stick with them, and I recently aqcuired the K-5. However, this is only to tide me over until the 5D mkIII is announced. However, should Pentax Ricoh be able to assure us that they are actually working on a FF body, I will hold out. Ball's in your court.

10-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
...but I can't even afford a K-5 at the moment. A full frame body would likely be 3k+.
I totally understand you. I'm in the same boat. Lots of FF lenses and a only a few APS-C ones but a 21% wages cut will put a FF body out of reach.
10-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Some folks worry about missing K5 in the picture - afraid that Ricoh will discontinue the K-mount but keep 645D mount and Q-mount...
Some folks worry about the sky falling. Just ignore them.
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Q-mount
...is hardly a mount tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Time

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
I totally understand you. I'm in the same boat. Lots of FF lenses and a only a few APS-C ones but a 21% wages cut will put a FF body out of reach.
But think of this: In one year, three years, six years, your situation could be quite different. By that time, K-mount could be enriched with new Pentax lens offerings, 3rd-parties like Sigma/Tamron/Tokina/Zeiss/VL will no longer be ignoring K-mount, and you may be able to pick up a gently-used K-1 for a song.

Also, a used K-1 with about $200 worth of MF lenses would be a joy to shoot: M 28 f/2.8, M 50 1,7, M 100 f/2.8, M 200 f/4, etc.
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I'd buy gobs and gobs of Pentax full frame stuff.

FA 31, FA 43, Pentax-K 35/3.5, DA* 55 (which everybody knows is FF anyway).

And the Voigtländer 58. Heck, I'd bet Voigtländer would resussitate the SL II KA line.

And more and more.
My FA28mmF2.8 will be a lot wider than what it is now.
Like x 100

My DA*200mm happens to be exactly that of FA*200mm for which I have triple checked.
10-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
Banned

Good news, I found them very willing to communicate tto.
10-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I wonder. Remember the case of the LX? Pitched to compete with the Nikon F3 it was a full system camera - winder, motor, bulk film back, the whole nine yards, lighter than the F3, dust and moisture sealed, and with perhaps the best basic TTL metering system ever. And while Nikon countered with the F4 and on and on, Pentax soldiered on with the LX for, what, TWENTY YEARS! with virtually no changes. (sigh)

Pentax didn't even add an exposure hold function to the lovely LX, let alone spot metering, auto focus, etc, the "little" things which might have enabled the marque to compete with Nikon and Canon for the professional market.

I don't know whether they wooed the pros with proper support or not. But when the camera isn't updated to keep up with its competitors, would support make any difference? I don't know.

I would like to know what sort of management mentality would fail to develop an excellent camera system while the rest of the world passed them by.
10-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This is great news. I mean, it's not like they explicitly answered the question, but they are making it clear that they listen, are not dismissive of their consumers, and are looking to make a real splash.
10-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #28
Zav
Pentaxian

Ok, now I have HOPE!
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool! I'd buy a reasonably priced FF Pentax body in a heartbeat.

Thanks, Adam.
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

In my opinion, Pentax needs a FF camera to compete with the big boys. Since I have bought into Pentax about 7 months ago, I have seen exactly ONE other person with a Pentax.

Perception is reality in the world of marketing. Michael Jordan made Nike a giant world conquering entity just by wearing their shoes.

People aren't going to think they can play ball like Mike because they wear Air Jordans, but they think (wrongly or rightly) that it will get them one step closer and that they won't be equipment limited. If pros start sitting on the sidelines of a NFL game with Pentax prominantly displayed on their huge 400mm f/2.8 cameras attached to their Pentax K-3, the average consumer won't be as nervous as buying pentax because they will see pros on TV using that equipment, which will undoubtedly help their entire product line.