Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
...the average consumer won't be as nervous as buying pentax because they will see pros on TV using that equipment, which will undoubtedly help their entire product line.
I think the average consumer was more taken with Ashton Kutcher and his Nikon DSLR than they're concerned with pro photographers. For most people a DSLR is just a status symbol.

10-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I think the average consumer was more taken with Ashton Kutcher and his Nikon DSLR than they're concerned with pro photographers. For most people a DSLR is just a status symbol.
That is true...
Same with Agassi (and his wig) and Canon back in the day.

I think Ricoh needs to pony up the dough for Tebow to use Pentax
10-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saving up for a FF camera
10-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Yup. It doesn't surprise those of us who have been holding our breath on this for the past quite a while... Or maybe it does just a little.

It feels good to breath now (I was beginning to get a little red in the face)!!!

10-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #35

All FF lenses no DA lenses in my closet. I am just hoping they come out with some professional long prime lens glass - last ones were the 600MM F4 and 300MM F2,8 FA* - have one missing the other - would pony up for FF and the 300MM if they decide to support professional equipment again a little better. Not into the DA stuff at all.
10-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Slow down, guys. They didn't say "yes" yet :-)
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I am hoping...That Sony A77 is calling rather loudly but if I see that Ricoh is willing to put some serious R&D into Pentax and produce a compelling product I will gladly stick around.

10-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will buy a Pentax FF. I will even pre-order it and put money down.

Why?

I have a ton of FF glass.
While I own a film 645, I can't afford a 645D or the newer glass.
I want something higher spec than my current K5.

I paid around $1200 for my K5 and I am willing to spend around $3-5k for something with a full frame and a non-crippled K mount and more features like BlueTooth, Built in GPS, WiFi,detachable LCD or rotating one and more control over the movie functions.

There are enough threads on here about what new features would be great, so I won't go into that.

More metal in the moving parts and better QC too.
10-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
Oog
Forum Member

Aaaarrghh! Give us FF!!!!
Go Pentax Ricoh!!!
10-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the merged Pentax and Ricoh are already going to have way too many systems to deal with. Adding another one at the high-middle doesn't seem sensible. Do you really want the APS-C lineup to suffer because resources are put into a full-frame line?

If it were just a matter of offering one more camera, okay, sure, make the vocal minority happy. But it doesn't work like that — not for a small company.

I don't think Pentax can compete with Canon/Nikon by trying to act like they do. They can compete by being different and more agile. A full-frame camera doesn't fit that.
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #41
Oog
Forum Member

Make one good FF camera (as long as it's profitable) - so it's there for people who want it (like me).
APS-C is here for as long as the industry supports APS-C. Why would making a Pentax FF cause it's APS-C line to suffer? It currently doesn't suffer for Canon or Nikon.
Who says Pentax is trying to compete with the two by making a FF? If making a FF and expanding it's lens line = more profits, it'd be kinda stupid not to do so, no?
10-18-2011, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I think the merged Pentax and Ricoh are already going to have way too many systems to deal with. Adding another one at the high-middle doesn't seem sensible. Do you really want the APS-C lineup to suffer because resources are put into a full-frame line?
Every lens made for a K-1 would work on a aps-c body - maybe even better than it would on a FF body, because aps-c would get the sweet spot.

Also, any money pumped into the supporting tech (like AF (!), flash, gps, networking, video, etc, etc) is fully usable in the aps-c tier, and filters down (Nikon did this exceptionally well.)

QuoteQuote:
If it were just a matter of offering one more camera, okay, sure, make the vocal minority happy. But it doesn't work like that — not for a small company.
Ricoh is a huge company, much bigger than Nikon. They took on Canon in copiers and did very well, winning even in some markets. They bought Pentax/K-mount for a reason, and it looks like they intend to compete, to establish a revenue stream past the Pentax-standalone and Pentax-Hoya 18-month business plan.

QuoteQuote:
I don't think Pentax can compete with Canon/Nikon by trying to act like they do. They can compete by being different and more agile. A full-frame camera doesn't fit that.
And aps-c does? There is more competition in aps-c DSLR, and that's not even taking the encroaching mirrorless players into account.

10-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Ricoh is 3x larger (in people and $$) than Hoya, and 4x larger than Nikon. Of course, cameras (and the Pentax brand) are not their core business, so it depends on what Ricoh decides to do with its consumer imaging business...
10-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think Ricoh needs to pony up the dough for Tebow to use Pentax
Urk! If that happens, I'm going to have to go with Peyton Manning and his Sony Olympus, I guess.
10-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Wow! Its alive..... I knew it... i knew when i buy (kanikon) FF thay will release Pentax FF And i just bought d700 with 2 glasses... and sold three of my DA lenses i told to myself i keep FF Pentax lenses for 2 years, if thay release FF i'll buy it if thay don't i will sell FA lenses..... Thats mean i can keep them? I tried to put Fa limiteds to D700 body... couldnt make it... then i put nikon lenses on k5 body - it works and i tell you something guys FA lenses burns nikkors....