Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Until there's official NON-vapourware/blank rumors.. I won't start saving for one.. I'll keep the funding pointed at more FA Ltd's though.. so I'll be ready either way.

10-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not only did we get a written response from the president of Pentax Europe, but he assured us that management in Japan (as well as the R&D department in Europe) will be forwarded our feedback,
Who are these people and what have they done with the real Pentax managers?
/joke

Consider Pentax's reply to Adam and this quote from Ricoh's announcement of the Pentax deal - "... That is why we want to build the new PENTAX RICOH IMAGING around a dynamic dialog with customers..." (PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. / What makes a great photograph? | RICOH).

"Dynamic dialog" is the polar opposite of how Pentax has chosen to interact with customers these past few years, in my view. And in the USA, "minimum dialog humanly possible" would be a stretch, as for the vast majority of us, the only possible way to buy Pentax is "dialog" with a credit card and delivery truck. And if something goes wrong, Pentax USA Support's default response to every problem seems to be " that issue has never been reported before." When the customer presses the point and gives evidence of 100's of like reports already submitted, they say, "we mean Pentax headquarters in Japan hasn't told us how to respond to that problem." Yuck.

Pentax has a huge advantage over other DSLR makers that they have squandered, in my view: Their small size should allow them to be much more responsive to the market and build much stronger customer loyalty, if they would only engage with their customers. Here's hoping that Ricoh's statement and Pentax Europe's response signal a real change in corporate culture.

I will be watching with interest these next few months.
10-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I see a lot of wishful interpretation of Pentax Statement. It actually doesn't mean much other than the company "plans on" expanding its Advanced Amateur and Professional product lines. It's just an intent, that remains to be firmed up into a concrete product development map, which could just as well be a mirror-less aimed at advanced-amateurs; never actually said FF. Nice though that Pentax took the time to respond.
10-18-2011, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
It currently doesn't suffer for Canon or Nikon.
Sure it does. Do those brands have high-end designed-for-APS-C lenses like the DA Limited series? No. You want a nice prime, you're spending extra (in money, size, and weight) for full-frame glass. Or alternatively, you can buy designed-for-APS-C entry-level lenses, which are fine and all — but I've really appreciated Pentax's focus here.

Now, maybe, they'd keep both areas interesting. But I doubt it. Companies with full-frame cameras have a disincentive to support advanced features on APS-C (including nice lenses), because they want to steer people who care about those things to the more expensive lineup.

10-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #65

About Time Pentax listens to their loyal customers! Awesome job Adam. You made some really great points (I was nodding my head in agreement with every point made) I came REALLY close to selling my Pentax Gear but something told me to hold on. I truly hope you letter really got them thinking! Thanks again
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Sounds like very good news indeed! I was planning to go full frame sometime over the next couple of years. Looks like I will be staying with Pentax

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 10-18-2011 at 11:10 PM.
10-18-2011, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not only did we get a written response from the president of Pentax Europe, but he assured us that management in Japan (as well as the R&D department in Europe) will be forwarded our feedback, and that (following acquisition by Ricoh) the company plans on expanding its Advanced Amateur and Professional product lines.
While I vigorously applaud the fact that Pentax Europe bothered to respond, nothing in this means anything. Perhaps if/when Adam can post the rest of the letter I might get more excited. But this response is only marketing speak. It says nothing beyond the fact they want to improve their product line. I can't think of a company in any industry that would not say that. It also states "following the acquisition by Ricoh", which implies this statement was made before or during the acquisition. Which means that as far as we know the president of Ricoh Europe might be out of a job as soon as the acquisition is complete.

60 plus posts in only a few hours, ignited by a small quote hinting that Pentax might be interested in expanding its line says more about the desperation of Pentax's loyal users than it does about any possibility of a new camera. I have to admit my pulse rate shot up when I read the headline and I left my wife waiting in the car while I started to read the thread until she started blowing the horn, but seriously this is getting out of hand.

That said, I am getting ready, just in case :

Attached Images

10-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
60 plus posts in only a few hours, ignited by a small quote hinting that Pentax might be interested in expanding its line says more about the desperation of Pentax's loyal users than it does about any possibility of a new camera. I have to admit my pulse rate shot up when I read the headline and I left my wife waiting in the car while I started to read the thread until she started blowing the horn, but seriously this is getting out of hand.

Quote of the thread so far

And you nailed it. But allow us our excitement, and don't get down on yourself for feeling the same. It may all come to naught in the end...

But I suspect we'll be in for a suspenseful, perhaps eventful 2012.

10-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #69

Something's telling me that in September 2012 we 'll have this nice 36MP FF Pentax.
10-19-2011, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

While I applaud Adam and the owner of Pentaxeros for contacting Pentax regarding the "fullframe issue", I believe this is not enough. I want each and every one of you wanting a FF SLR to write a letter/e-mail to your country's Pentax representative. Let's flood those mailboxes and our voices heard! Power to the people!
10-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Let's flood those mailboxes
Best of luck with that.

PentaxForums has a very small membership of just 38,000, spread out around the world. And only a small proportion of that 38,000 is (a) active on the forums; and (b) cares anything about FF.
10-19-2011, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
PentaxForums has a very small membership of just 38,000, spread out around the world. And only a small proportion of that 38,000 is (a) active on the forums; and (b) cares anything about FF.
I think many of them care about Pentax. So even when they don't care about FF (like you?) I guess they care enough about Pentax to want it to offer a viable FF system to attract more customers and offer a serious upgrade path. Pentax needs to be more serious about the K-mount system. Only two current K-mount bodies and no >300mm lenses simply is not enough to maintain a stable user base.
10-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #73
Inactive Account

I ain't holding my breath. But am kinda curious about the direction of Pentax.
10-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #74

This sounds very promising indeed! Good work Adam and Pentaxeros!

I´m hopeful that someone at Pentax / Ricoh HQ listens to the growing number of customers who yearn for a FF Pentax DSLR!

My FA limiteds are waiting impatiently...
10-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
This sounds very promising indeed! Good work Adam and Pentaxeros!

I´m hopeful that someone at Pentax / Ricoh HQ listens to the growing number of customers who yearn for a FF Pentax DSLR!

My FA limiteds are waiting impatiently...
No, don't hope and wait. React and be proactive about your wishes!