Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I'd like to see the option to choose the crop size that you want.

Sure, an auto select option should be the default, but maybe the old lens I have throws an acceptable FF circle, but I prefer the sharper corners and smaller file size of APS-H; boom, I can just dial it in. Maybe I'm using a DA lens, but want a different aspect ratio that I can select in post; boom, just set the sensor to full frame. Maybe I'm birding and I have a FA* 300mm f/2.8 *drool*, but that eagle is way off in the distance, and I don't need the whole frame, but a couple of extra FPS in burst mode would be nice to capture the moment he grabs that fish; boom, just set it to APS-C.
One would assume that the 'auto choice' could be overridden with a "digital zoom" that would allow exactly what you have i mind. Since even the K-5
has a database in it with the features of all auto focus Pentax lenses, it wouldn't be a big deal to expand this database to include possible 'zoom range'

Likewise yet another button, and a turning a wheel could set the 'crop'/digital zoom, as surely as it sets the ISO or exposure Compensation.

With The soon to be generally floating around the market 23 and greater MP sensors, a digital zoom/crop would provide something useful for these sensors to do.

10-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I'd like to see the option to choose the crop size that you want.

Sure, an auto select option should be the default, but maybe the old lens I have throws an acceptable FF circle, but I prefer the sharper corners and smaller file size of APS-H; boom, I can just dial it in. Maybe I'm using a DA lens, but want a different aspect ratio that I can select in post; boom, just set the sensor to full frame. Maybe I'm birding and I have a FA* 300mm f/2.8 *drool*, but that eagle is way off in the distance, and I don't need the whole frame, but a couple of extra FPS in burst mode would be nice to capture the moment he grabs that fish; boom, just set it to APS-C.
Exactly.

And even more, chasing the eagle with that FA* 300mm f/2.8 (we're dreaming, right?) we can pop into APS-C and get him right up close, and then we can also move the entire sensor to track him in flight (semi-automatic, kind of like the new astrotracer).

...still dreaming...
10-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Count me in the I'm not buying a Full Frame Pentax camera group. I hope they make one for all the people who do want one though. I'd much rather them make a Kmount module for the GXR, but I doubt that will happen. I'm just holding onto my Kmount lenses until next year to see if it happens.

My next camera will either be a Nex 7 or a the upcoming Fuji mirrorless. I'm much more impressed with Fuji than with Pentax. That said, I think Ricoh will improve Pentax. The GXR is a very good camera. I like it much more than the K5.

Best of luck on the Full Frame. Hopefully they will make one soon.

That said, I seriously doubt the proposition that "thousands" of Pentax users change brands because of they don't offer a Full Frame camera. Maybe hundreds, but thousands... I'd bet more switch to mirrorless than because Pentax doesn't offer a Full Frame. Fuji sold 70,000+ X100's in less than a year. How many K5's did Pentax sell? And it's are really great camera.
10-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #139
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
A FF that you could switch to APS-C if you choose.

As an example, if your using an 100mm FF lens and switch to APS-C it becomes a 150mm. Of course it would have less megapixels and all the characteristics of a regular APS-C camera.

No other manufacturer has this I think, and it would be great for all us APS-C users.

wll
Have you ever used photoshop? It is possible to make an Olympus PEN out of my K-5 by just cutting out a 4:3 picture.

It is still handy to use those APS-C lenses, but only crazy people would do that more then on a single occasion. It would be a major wast of money.

10-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Count me in the I'm not buying a Full Frame Pentax camera group. I hope they make one for all the people who do want one though. I'd much rather them make a Kmount module for the GXR, but I doubt that will happen. I'm just holding onto my Kmount lenses until next year to see if it happens.
Actually I would bet on a K mount module as being more likely than FF myself. I'd be very surprised if it didn't come to pass
10-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
And what about lenses? I'm sorry but the three FA ltd's, the DFA Macros and the FA 50 won't quite cut it.
By my count, Pentax has 138 full frame K-mount lens designs, and 54 m42 designs, and those are just the ones that saw production. Now you may argue that most of those lenses are no longer available, but we were speaking of R&D costs, not production costs. They could be refitted with anti-reflective coatings very easily. Of course not all of those 138 designs have autofocus (something that has never deterred Zeiss fans), but there are enough good ones that do to make an argument for re-issuing a few of them.
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
There may not be many currently marketed FF lenses but there is a large number of existing designs that would take little to bring to market
What existing designs, what will be changed and how much it will cost to put them (back) on the market? Which old designs will be good enough, corner to corner, all focal range? Shouldn't the barrel be also updated? (weather sealing, SDM...) Are the components still available? Please, don't say it "would take little" and don't think they only have to restart some FAs - that's just wishful thinking.

Photokina is less than a year from now; can they really to it? No, IMO, unless they started the development some time ago. Did they?

Maxfield_photo, many of those are "duplicates" (e.g. how many 50mm?), and they can't just re-launch a lens, no matter how bad. On the contrary - they have to plan for the future, to launch lenses who can stand up to high resolution sensors (and I bet *all* FF lenses would need a redesign, FA Limiteds included). Otherwise... "Pentax? Yeah, they launched a FF camera some time ago - but their lenses are cr*p!"

10-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What existing designs, what will be changed and how much it will cost to put them (back) on the market? Which old designs will be good enough, corner to corner, all focal range? Shouldn't the barrel be also updated? (weather sealing, SDM...) Are the components still available? Please, don't say it "would take little" and don't think they only have to restart some FAs - that's just wishful thinking.

Photokina is less than a year from now; can they really to it? No, IMO, unless they started the development some time ago. Did they?

Maxfield_photo, many of those are "duplicates" (e.g. how many 50mm?), and they can't just re-launch a lens, no matter how bad. On the contrary - they have to plan for the future, to launch lenses who can stand up to high resolution sensors (and I bet *all* FF lenses would need a redesign, FA Limiteds included). Otherwise... "Pentax? Yeah, they launched a FF camera some time ago - but their lenses are cr*p!"
+1 on all counts.

FF will require new lenses...a lens that looks good on a crop sensor camera might be woefully inadequate on FF. Likewise lenses that were designed for film when used on FF digital. If it was that simple, wouldn't pentax have done it already?
10-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #144
Veteran Member

given digital hasn't exceeded what was needed for high resolution black and white film, there is no reason not to think many of these lenses are "good enough"
Aside from that the release of the camera need not be accompanied by a raft of lens releases, in fact as has been mentioned there are already quite a few good FF primes. I would think 2 good zooms to start would be enough with a roadmap for future lens plans. not many will go out and spend 2500-3000 for a ff body then buy all their lenses at the same time. It is enough to have the basics and a roadmap for the rest. The 645D has done very well with very few lenses even marketed for it yet
Also there are a good number of people who already have enough lenses to benefit initially. better to keep them in the fold than have them bail for another brand as has been happening under Hoya
I still think Photokina could see an awful lot of action from Pentax-Ricoh (if not before in the case of say a Kr replacement at minimum)
I could see the Kr and K5 replacements a GXR K module and a FF all being announced possibly with some lenses or at least a roadmap for lens development. a 645D replacement would probably follow at some point as well as the market is catching up to Pentax in the price category and there are a couple of things they will need to retain the market lead in Medium format
10-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

Exactly - even if some FA* lenses are good enough it's tough to market a 10 - 15 year old lens. They need a brand new 'HD' lens line.

Given this should they be wedded to the K-mount? There are advantages in looking to overhaul the entire system.
10-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Exactly - even if some FA* lenses are good enough it's tough to market a 10 - 15 year old lens. They need a brand new 'HD' lens line.

Given this should they be wedded to the K-mount? There are advantages in looking to overhaul the entire system.
The K mount is the reason Ricoh bought Pentax i would think. it would be damn stupid to abandon it. FF K mount has a larger potential clientele base who have been asking for one for quite a while. a whole new mount would require a quite long development cycle (look at the Q) and in the meantime long term supporter would continue to bleed away to other brands
10-19-2011, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the company plans on expanding its Advanced Amateur and Professional product lines.

I don't see anything about FF in this statement. It sounds to me like they are planning to continue expanding within existing product lines, no more than that. There's an awful lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread.
10-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #148
Pentaxian

awful ???
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #149
Pentaxian

eddie1960:
Everyone is pixel peeping now; were you looking at the negatives with a microscope back then? Were you as concerned with corner resolution, CA, vigneting and so on? How about internet reviews and interminable discussion based on MFT scores?
Yes, at least 2 good zooms - but they would have to quickly fill the gaps. Certainly doable; my point is: it won't be trivial, it will be expensive - so prepare to pay full price. IMO saying that's a piece of cake is another way of saying "I won't buy it unless dirt cheap"
there is no reason to think many of these lenses are "good enough" - I agree

The 645D had a full line-up of lenses from the beginning.

Caat:
"Given this should they be wedded to the K-mount? There are advantages in looking to overhaul the entire system."
Launching a FF system is hard enough. Getting rid of your customers and starting from scratch, is even harder
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
given digital hasn't exceeded what was needed for high resolution black and white film
But it's not just about resolution - some lenses simply don't work well on digital because a sensor is a very different beast from film.

QuoteQuote:
The 645D has done very well with very few lenses even marketed for it yet
Although there are only 2 new lenses, a very complete set of lenses has been available. And I think 645D users have reported that many of them seem to work very well on the cropped 645d sensor (but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them would be so-so on a full format 645 sensor even if they work well on film).