Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been waiting for Pentax FF DSLR ever since laid my hands on K1000 back in 1976.
At least, Pentax now understand the power of Marketing.

10-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #167

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Congratulations with your 5D MkII! Too bad about the readout noise in dark areas (even at ISO 100) and the banding at higher ISO's, both of which the K-5 does not suffer from. Still the 5D MkII is a great tool, although it does not win from the K-5 in pure IQ.
Spoken like a true fanboy. I have used my 5dmkII at ISO3200, and still had better IQ and less noise than my K7 at ISO640. The K5 may be a good camera, but looking at the RAW files head to head, there is no comparison. Even at ISO6400 the 5D wins, and I have yet to see any issues with banding (and I had a K10d, I know what banding is) The 5D has comparable noise, just a tad less than the k5, but also more detail due to less NR being applied to the RAW file. Sadly the K5, and any APSC sensor will lose against a full frame anyday. They almost got there, but this new ff sensor will most likely blow away any gains APSC made against FF. Now if Ricoh does right and turns the R&D department loose and lets them develop products the public have been asking for they may (hopefully) be on the right track and can become a major player again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Apparently Canon surrendered and chose not to compete with the 645D. They have *no* answer to the pure IQ the 645D provides.
We have yet to see what the new 1Dx will do as far as IQ, yes they didn't produce the 36mp monster that was rumoured, but the 1Dx will most likely beat the 645D in every category except resolution. So except in very large prints I doubt anyone will see any measurable difference. The 1Dx will do it faster, cheaper, and with a huge lens selection (the 645 still only has 2 lenses in the lineup right?)

And I have an answer for the "pure IQ the 645D provides" I can do it in one word ..... Hasselblad
10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
An $800 Q is a completely different beast than a $2500 + FF. Can you imagine that anyone who would put out that kind of money for that kind of camera would even remotely consider a "toy" lens?! No they will want the FF equivalent of the DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135. At the very least. Granted they might be able to dust off the FA* 28-70 F/2.8 but they would have to weather seal it and outfit it with SDM or some sort of in lens focus motor. That wouldn't be inconsiderable R&D costs. And there is no older equivalent to the DA* 50-135. So you are going to try to sell a $2500 or more camera with one professional zoom lens to start?

NaCl(I don't think that will go over too well)H2O
Maybe they could get Tokina to let them make their version of the 16-28mm f2.8 as they shared some designs in the past. I have one in Canon mount and it is excellent on 24x36mm. They would also need a good 70 or 80-200mm f2.8 in addition to the 28-70mm f2.8 I really think they need to work on a better in lens focus motor and rework some of the old designs as some may not be good on digital. Pentax told me some of the old designs for film may not be good on digital after I sent them my FA*300mm f2.8 to check out. (mostly B.S. I think) I will say the 31mm, 43mm and 77mm would probably be great through that nice big viewfinder.
10-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #169

I would dearly love a full frame system from Pentax. There are those who do not care so much for FF, but many of us do. But that's the beauty of selection, to each his own. I think if would be a really smart move for Pentax. Might be the only company that could pry my hands off my Nikon's for a while!

10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #170
Veteran Member

I don't suppose there's much chance that a full-frame Pentax would still have in-body stabilization, is there? I would think it'd be a problem in terms of weight and cost. Of course on full-frame there'd be less need, but still...
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
I have used my 5dmkII at ISO3200, and still had better IQ and less noise than my K7 at ISO640
Perhaps you should have compared it's noise performance against a K-x then. As someone who once had to post-process (read 'help me fix up these horrible shots pls' ) about one hundred portraits shot in poor interior light by the 5D2, it can have big problems at 6400 and even 3200 ISO. The noise is there, esp in shadows, and it's of a character that is very hard to work with in post-processing, even if you have access to very good PP software. I was very surprised, especially as I knew the 5D2's DxoMark High ISO score was quite high.
10-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #172
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I don't suppose there's much chance that a full-frame Pentax would still have in-body stabilization, is there? I would think it'd be a problem in terms of weight and cost. Of course on full-frame there'd be less need, but still...
If the APS-C bodies have it, the FF had better have it as well...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What FF? Have they told you something more substantive than you've posted so far? I don't see any hint of a coming FF in the first post.
10-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a horrible thought: what if it doesn't, but instead Pentax decides to offer new lenses with stabilization. And then decides that future aps-c bodies wouldn't need it built-in either, since people could buy the new glass. They'd become more like Nikon, in other words. Horrors.
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Here's a horrible thought: what if it doesn't, but instead Pentax decides to offer new lenses with stabilization. And then decides that future aps-c bodies wouldn't need it built-in either, since people could buy the new glass. .
That is a possibility. Unlikely, though, I think.

Last edited by jsherman999; 10-19-2011 at 08:07 PM.
10-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What FF? Have they told you something more substantive than you've posted so far? I don't see any hint of a coming FF in the first post.
Getting kinda tense there, aintcha?

10-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #177

Sooooo.... 12 pages and no letters.
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

full frame in a k-5?

Is it possible to squeese in a full-frame sensor in the k-5 body?

I know heat would be a concern, but is it possible?
I really like the size of my Pentax.

7samurai

p.s. this thread is growing way to fast, I finally got to the end. I thought I would never catch up.

Last edited by 7samurai; 10-19-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: comment
10-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #179
Pentaxian

Here's a horrible thought: what if it doesn't, but instead Pentax decides to offer new lenses with stabilization. And then decides that future aps-c bodies wouldn't need it built-in either, since people could buy the new glass. They'd become more like Nikon, in other words. Horrors.
There would problably be a riot. A worse case scenario would be to drop support for the screw drive AF so it's SDM or turn it by hand. I was sure enough they were headed that way a few years ago, that I have bought SDM lenses whenever I had a chance
in lieu of alternatives, but since they haven't pushed the SDM into the low end lenses, I think it's less likely now.

I had sort of thought that the SDM would percolate to the entire lens family, and then Screw drive support
would disappear from the low end camera body so you had to buy the top of the line body to get screw support for the older lens family. Somehow I think this is unlikely now.
10-19-2011, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Sooooo.... 12 pages and no letters.
Well in Adam's defense, this thread has exploded into 12 pages in within 28 hours. Who knew this was such a touchy subject? Oh wait...

But I've gotta wonder, if this all come to fruition, what the hell will we talk about then?