Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I guess that Pentax still sells 1.2 - 1.5 miljion P&S camera's, so there is some market. Not that it is that important, but for the shockproof camera's the Olympus marketshare is interesting for both Pentax and Ricoh.
Yep

And given the news about Thailand if Ricoh can react quickly there is a chance to grab share from Sony and Nikon Christmas is just around the corner (I doubt they can react that fast though)

10-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #212

Photos: Gallery
It seems a little early to talk about a FF camera based on a letter, but given the excitement in this thread there seems to be a demand for one! If Pentax can put one on the market for a better price than Canon and Nikon equivalents, they could steal a chunk of market share from the big two. There must be a large group of people who have Nikons or Canons now who want FF but can't justify the cost. Similarly many Pentax owners who DO have the money for FF are forced to switch brands.

I guess that's all pretty obvious though.
10-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I wonder if Ricoh does anticipate on a shake-up of the market and the possibility of going out of bussiness from Kodak and Olympus.

That would make things different in future:

I wonder how 2011 is looking?
don't know anything about olympus, but E. Kodak seems to be failing to make the transition from being a chemical company to a computer company. The future for them could hardly be darker. Securities rating companies are projecting default, their stock
is trading at a $1.22US today--- just barely above the $1US mark, andif it falls below that the prestious NY stock exchange will move to delist them. They have admitted hiring a lawfirm specializing in bankruptices but have denied an intention to file for reorganization.

It's really hard to envision a happy ending here.
10-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
don't know anything about olympus, but E. Kodak seems to be failing to make the transition from being a chemical company to a computer company. The future for them could hardly be darker. Securities rating companies are projecting default, their stock
is trading at a $1.22US today--- just barely above the $1US mark, andif it falls below that the prestious NY stock exchange will move to delist them. They have admitted hiring a lawfirm specializing in bankruptices but have denied an intention to file for reorganization.

It's really hard to envision a happy ending here.
The Kodak thing is made worse by announcements in the film industry that the big camera makers (ie Panavision et el) are no longer making a film camera for the industry and will only market digital from now on (bad news for those of us who shoot film as well as we rely on the movie industry generating the volume to justify production

10-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's not the same market as the D3, medium format was never the same market as 35mm either. and yep it dominates the MF market in sales
you can't look at that camera from the perspective most users on the forum. It's a tool for specific markets (as are the Hassy and Phase/Mamiyas) not out to compete with the D3 or the 1dx/s
from a medium format market standpoint yep it was a game changer.
You are correct, I looked at it from the point of view of an amateur, not a pro MF shooter, so it was narrow vision on my part...but from another point of view, Pentax did themselves no favors by releasing this awesome game changing camera with only 2 lenses. If I was shooting Mamiya currently, and I was thinking of switching systems, I would have huuuge reservations about going to Pentax. From his perspective, the 645D looks like it will be just a flash in the pan which will offer no future for expansion.
The same can be said for FF shooters. Pentax is not even an option for them.
10-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #216
Pentaxian

Only 2 lenses? You mean, only 19 lenses?
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #217
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
2 current lenses, only 1 actually in stock. Stupidity on their part if you ask me...nobody knows/cares that you can still buy FA lenses in Japan.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #218
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
2 current lenses, only 1 actually in stock. Stupidity on their part if you ask me...nobody knows/cares that you can still buy FA lenses in Japan.
Maybe that is a part of Pentax USA:

In Germany: AC-Foto GmbH where 35mm, 45mm, 75mm and 200mm are in stock.

In Netherlands (but they do sell to more countries: Middenformaat lenzen | Objectieven | Foto Konijnenberg where DFA55, 75mm, 120mm macro, 150mm, 80-160mm and 300mm are in stock.
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OK, i am going to buy a camera for 10 grand and go scrounging around on ebay for 20 year old lenses...how about no.

Are those old lenses backed by Pentax? If i buy an old lens, can i get it serviced by pentax or get a warranty?

As an amateur, I have no problem buying second hand. But if I was a pro and earned a living with this equipment, i would expect some level of support for my equipment and I would only buy new.
10-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
OK, i am going to buy a camera for 10 grand and go scrounging around on ebay for 20 year old lenses...how about no.

Are those old lenses backed by Pentax? If i buy an old lens, can i get it serviced by pentax or get a warranty?

As an amateur, I have no problem buying second hand. But if I was a pro and earned a living with this equipment, i would expect some level of support for my equipment and I would only buy new.

If your good enough with your camera and lighting to warrant purchasing a $10k camera and it's two current lenses, I'm would assume one would have the competence to use the 20 year old glass and to produce the imagery in those focal lengths and/or apertures only available in them for now. I would hope Pentax/Ricoh invests some money in it's 645D lens lineup as the camera is a fantastic piece of work from anything I've seen. It would not be in their best interests to not revamp their old optic line for it.
10-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #221
Pentaxian

I do not not about the US but in Europe the following FA645 lenses can be bought new from Pentax authorized dealers:

- 33-55 mm f/4.5
- 45-85 mm f/4.5
- 55-110 mm f/5.6
- 80-160 mm f/4.5
- 150-300 mm f/5.6

- 25 mm f/4 (D-FA 645)
- 35 mm f/3.5
- 45 mm f/2.8
- 55 mm f/2.8 (D-FA 645)
- 75 mm f/2.8
- 120 mm f/4 macro
- 150 mm f/2.8
- 200 mm f/4
- 300 mm f/4 (FA*)
- 300 mm f/5.6
- 400 mm f/5.6

i.e. a total of 16 lenses. They were all displayed at the Pentax booth during the "Salon de la Photo" in Paris earlier in October.
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #222
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now posted the response from Pentax in the news section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #223
Veteran Member

Well now, that's pretty much what I was expecting to hear! Glad they are looking to pursue the professional market, this could mean simply continuing the 645D line etc.. but I think they would be foolish not to push a FF in their near future.
10-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #224
Veteran Member

I guess we will find out in a month or two if Pentax|Hoya had anything cooking. Otherwise we will probably have another 6 months to over a year.

The only real positive thing I see from the letter is that it seems like Ricoh allows the branches to interface more with customers. From the original Ricoh press release they basically said the same thing as in this current letter... They want to expand their interchangeable lens system lineups.
10-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think what Pentax should have first are really high class lenses as Canon offers them!! When you look at the tele lenses there is really a lack of lenses!! I had to buy a Sigma for wildlife photography.