Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #271
MarieDJ

If Pentax decides to release a FF camera, it is welcomed. I would look forward to using all my legacy glass. The dream would be to have something the size of the MESuper or MX. A compact body with pro features that you could take anywhere - a dream, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Pentax.

BTW, does the 645D take P67 lenses?

10-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #272
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarieDJ Quote
Yes, and with no restrictions in metering.
Pentax 645D Review vs. Nikon D3x - Construction and Handling

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #273

Slight nit with the initial editing of this letter

The lead-in initially (and incorrectly) gives the reader the impression that the beginning sentences are from the Pentax Europe President. It's only a few sentences in where you finally convince yourself that it's not the President writing, and only further down where you see the actual letter you fully get what the title meant.

Just $0.02,

I'd be in line for a FF version. Wanted one for the longest.
10-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #274
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
The lead-in initially (and incorrectly) gives the reader the impression that the beginning sentences are from the Pentax Europe President. It's only a few sentences in where you finally convince yourself that it's not the President writing, and only further down where you see the actual letter you fully get what the title meant.
He did write it though- unless the signature on there is forged as well (it's written in pen) I cropped out the letterhead and footer in the version posted in the news article.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Hmmm.... Am I the only one scratching the head wondering what all the excitement is about???

Here we have a response to a feedback letter, which would be forwarded to Pentax Japan.
OK, that's good, and then what else... No, that's it!
No you are not alone. I don't get it either.
10-20-2011, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #276

Photos: Gallery
Btw, Thanks Adam for your efforts. I don't think the naysayers get the point of all this. Whether Pentax goes for it or not at least they know that there is demand for FF bodies and this MAY prompt them to look into it.
10-20-2011, 11:47 PM - 2 Likes   #277
Pentaxian

Your letter is a combination of heresay and business mayhem.
Building a full frame DSLR is not a "me too" project. You also need to build a system around it. Compatibility with old lenses is really a funny idea, you state yourself that current lenses cannot resolve the detail of up to date sensors - is it the lens or the AA filter? Pentax would just need to replace most of their lenses for a full frame system and add many additional lenses to the current line up. FA lenses are really OK, but not for a new system that needs to bring new customers to the brand. Pentax lived the digital age without a full frame camera for many years.Potential full frame customers have probably moved away already. Although we all would appreciate such a camera, who is gonna buy one? People here complain about peanuts, who is buying a 3000 $ camera with no new lenses in sight. What company is working on a completely new camera in the time of economic turn down with no customer base to support such a camera? Medium format survives even with low sales numbes a 35 mm camera needs sales volume - big numbers.
I would really appreciate a full frame Pentax camera. I would even buy it. Businesswise your arguments are extremely weak. Pentax have to realize that there is money to make with a full frame camera. Give it 3 more years and the camera willactually be there, but don't tell me Pentax is ready now. Even in 3 years time, the camera will be a major investment. There are not many full frame camera models ever made - this is tricky business.

10-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #278
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Bah, humbug. Is the D700 huge ? Not at all, I have handled the D700 right next to a K5 .... there is little difference and it's easy to hold and handle.
erm, no. I recently sold my D700 in favor of the K5. The Pentax is almost half the weight and CONSIDERABLY smaller. It makes a huge difference during travel. Also, Pentax lenses are as small as Leicas. A K5+Limited kit is as small and light as a Leica M8/9 kit (I owned an M8 with an assortment of elmarits).
While the D700 image quality is superb, it almost took the fun out of photography for me due to it being too cumbersome to carry around when on travel, during events, etc. I only used it for dedicated shooting sessions because of that. So while it is a superb camera, it really is not for everybody.
10-21-2011, 12:03 AM - 2 Likes   #279
fry

FF would not be wise

Hi there,

this is my first post in this forum. I am Pentaxian since the K10D, and have since then upgraded to K7 and then K5. By education a physicist, currently managing a mid-sized company. I am an amateur photograph. The K10D, K7 and K5 were cameras at the time that were EXACTLY what I wished for. Thanks Pentax! I used the 18-250 a lot on the K10D, and with the K7 stepped up and invested in a complete line of prime lenses (15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 50... you get the idea). Today, I am a heavy user of the compact trio DA 21, 40, 70 Limited plus the wonderful DFA 100WR macro, and use almost no zooms.

So here is my statement on FF: while I would welcome and probably buy a FF DSLR of Pentax, I have an even stronger interest that Pentax as a company SURVIVES - and survival is best secured by making wise business decisions. In this sense, I hope Pentax avoids the mistake of such an investment.

Again, I would _probably_ buy a FF DSLR if Pentax made one - even at $3k and even if I had to buy new lenses or use my DA lenses on FF with all corresponding disadvantages - but I seriously doubt that an investment in a FF DSLR would pay off for Pentax. And because I fear that such an investment would be a huge failure - and I need Pentax to survive for MY investment - I hope that they DO NOT make the mistake of developing a FF DSLR.

Why it would be a mistake: I do not believe it would sell, contrary to what people claim today. But I can well imagine Pentax coming with a FF DSLR with is of the size of, say, an EOS 1D, and all people around here whining that they expected a form factor like the K5. Or they manage a form factor in between, like the K10D, but for that have to omit the in-body shake reduction. How many Pentaxians would complain and not buy. To those who say a FF in a K5 casing would be possible: not with all the features you are used to (like a display on the back, and shake reduction). There is simply not enough space. Also, weight is an issue. Pentax today is excellent for the amateur or semi-pro, who values a light camera pack. No competitor beats the compact DA Limited lens system of Pentax. All these advantages were gone, the Pentax FF DSLR would be an expensive "me too". And since being a Pentaxian is (for many) also about being different, it would not sell.

F

PS. While I am writing about business sense, one thing to the Hoya-bashers in Pentaxland: it is SO easy to complain about "cost-cutting Hoya". Cost cutting sounds so cruel, so capitalistic, so lean and mean, so WRONG. But is it really? Cost cutting is very often the ONLY* available means of saving a company in the short term, when it is burning cash. Because of that, cost cutting is often (not always) less about sending employees on the street and more about securing jobs for the remainder of the staff. And cost cutting is not easy! - it is hard work. So I say "thank you Hoya for securing Pentax' future!". The further sale of Pentax to Ricoh may well be the next good thing for Pentax. So thanks again Hoya!

* Another way at Pentax' disposal was to simply raise prices. Much criticized, but correct at the time, through this the customers had to their share in helping survive.
10-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #280

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
FF Pentax

This souns promising and seems that pentax might start to gain the position it deserves to have among the 'top' brands.
10-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #281

Numbers and facts are also good arguments to demonstrate that most of us want Pentax got a Full Frame camera and lenses in its lineup. So, what about a big (big as the biggest of all time) survey with a Pentax K5 to win? Or a big forum with lot of promises to buy? Another suggestion is to make Pentax community make a single big investment into Pentax (buying shares) to push Pentax toward a direction the community want. It may be a reasonable deal ..
10-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #282

full frame ccd

I have a lot of film cameras which I still use alongside my K7.
What I want is digital cartridge that I can put into my film cameras. With a 35mm area and rechargeable power and a mini SD memory slot in the cylinders at each end, and a mini USB connector I can then use all those bodies digitally.
If Pentax created one of these I would pay perhaps £200 ($300 US) for one.
These could be upgraded over time.
10-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #283
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarieDJ Quote
If Pentax decides to release a FF camera, it is welcomed. I would look forward to using all my legacy glass. The dream would be to have something the size of the MESuper or MX. A compact body with pro features that you could take anywhere - a dream, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Pentax.

Yes.
Except PENTAX 67 Shift 75mm F4.5
and PENTAX 67 LS 165mm F4.

Longer 400 mm with some vignetting problems.
10-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #284
Veteran Member

To want one or not, this needs to happen. PENTAX will never grow beyond what it already is and will continue to lose loyal customers otherwise. While I welcome the latest news and optimism what have all the head officials, R&D and marketing departments been doing for the past 4 years since I bought my K100D if they appear completely unaware of problems in the current lineup? We shouldn't have to be giving PENTAX forced feedback on their shortcomings although it's great they'll take it into serious consideration.

I've always held off in anticipation for next latest and greatest body; I even purchased a used K20D but was less impressed with the IQ and speed I shelfed it and resold a few months later, despite the solid construction. The K-5 is no exception albeit with slower AF vs Canikon, flash sync, lack of tethering, SDM lens upgrade, etc. If my photographic ambitions haven't waned over the past few years I would have switched camps long ago. Cameras like the Nikon D90 and D300 now D300s are still in demand years later as they've been a workhorse for so many, friends included, and are still available for purchase; the Canon Rebel XS can even be had going on 4 years later.

Perhaps I'm just a PENTAX fanboy, holding onto nice things like my DA* 50-135 or FA 50 1.4, that has kept me around. I just really hope they can deliver on the next release in all aspects in relation to lacking features and performance issues, otherwise a Nikon D700/D800 may be in my future and like a Honda they have a good resell value.

To quote the movie, Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come" as many have already said.

As you can see, we're really limited to two, count them, two(2) models in comparison:
Attached Images

10-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I would love to be able to mount a full frame lens on my aps-c. My understanding is the aps-c would use the center section of the image circle where the IQ should be higher.

However, I do lust after a small full-frame. The smaller it is, the more likely I'm going to be carrying it when I need to take that shot.
You don't list you lenses in your signature .. if you did you might be surprised to find out you already have one or more FF lenses (do you have any FA Ltds for example) ?