Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #631
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Pentax has room for a single FF that is targeted towards wedding/fashion/portrait photographers. That it the largest market and the easiest to enter. Pentax does not have a 1D or D3 line to protect, so they don't need to cripple the camera to protect sales. I think the Sony A900 is about as close to perfect (for the technology level) as you can get for someone who does not need HD Video. Use the A900 for a day and then go back to an APS-C and you feel like you are looking through the peep hole on your door.

While keeping size down is important, I don't want to sacrifice a big VF, 2 card slots, a quality SR, and really accurate AF. I don't need 51-point AF. 21 points would be fine, but I need them to be small and accurate. The golf ball sized center AF point on my K-7 and the SR that is slower than the AF are more annoying to me than the high ISO.
I'm a Pentaxian as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with you that I don't want to sacrifice features for size. I don't think we need 180 auto focus points, but it is really frustrating that the points are so few and so large currently on the K5. I always select my auto focus point and it is all too frequent that I find the camera is focusing on a tree or wall behind a person. I just think if Pentax releases an under-speced camera, even if it is tiny, it won't sell well.

10-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #632
Forum Member

Use the A900 for a day and then go back to an APS-C and you feel like you are looking through the peep hole on your door.
This is also relative: Put a magnifying eyepiece on your APS-C cam and you're (almost) there.

Jan.
10-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #633
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
Kunzite, you and I are from opposite poles and will never agree. That's what Pentax are up against. So let's move on.
While we are disagreeing on some details, I believe we're not really on opposite poles There are three main differences between us:
- I'm willing to accept (pay for) some non essential, but nice to have things (basics, not gadgets)
- I'm willing to accept (their presence, but not a significant cost) things that would make the product commercially viable
- I want to understand how it would be done and if it's feasible (technically and commercially)
That's all, IMO.

Your other points are already addressed, I won't repeat what others said.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just a comment on SR. It isn't worth the size difference to get rid of it. Pentax has no lenses with SR in them and no history of such lenses, so it would take them a longer time to ramp up production of such lenses. The K100 was also sold as the K110 without SR and the K100 sold a whole lot better than the 110, even though it was more expensive and a little bigger body.
I agree - it would be a disaster. I believe, though, the K110D and K100D had identical bodies; but this wasn't why it flopped.
10-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #634
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jan-61 Quote
This is also relative: Put a magnifying eyepiece on your APS-C cam and you're (almost) there.

Jan.
Magnifying Eyepieces just aren't the same sorry. I have one on my K7 and K10 along with Split Prisms, every one of my film bodies is much better to use. easier to focus and brighter

Smaller and more AF points for my AF lenses would be a plus as well.

AF speed I'm less concerned with than accuracy, but I understand speed will be required as well for many users so it's can't be ignored

Last edited by eddie1960; 10-27-2011 at 08:46 AM.
10-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #635
Veteran Member

A morsel

"...Chas Moloney, Ricoh UK marketing director, said the company is now preparing a new product that will plug a gap in the market, which will be unveiled in 2012."

What larger gap than between the K-5 and 645D?

(but it could be literally anything they care to recognize as a 'gap'.)

Into the Gap

10-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #636
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
Every one in this forum said I was full of it about two years ago about the D645, and guess what D645 came about? Or was that a dream? Full Frame will turn the photographic world around in digital C and N "CAN NOT DO IT YET" P has it and it's "BIG" in a "SMALL" package.

Read between the lines, Pentax does "NOT" release their secrets until they release the product, but they need individuals to test them. And they have to get permission to make a forum post like this.
Interesting...

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

"...Chas Moloney, Ricoh UK marketing director, said the company is now preparing a new product that will plug a gap in the market, which will be unveiled in 2012."

Into the Gap

Maybe he's just talking about a K-mount module for the GXR???
10-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #637
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan-61 Quote

Jan.
I put one on my K-7 and wouldn't agree with you at all. The OM53 magnifies a little, but nowhere near the view of a FF viewfinder.

Jason

10-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #638
Veteran Member

Into the Gap
They are building a cell phone into the Q. Q-mobile. Or maybe the are turning the 645D into a document scanner to bridge the gap between the two companies. You can export your images as PDF files........
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #639
Pentaxian

They are building a cell phone into the Q. Q-mobile. Or maybe the are turning the 645D into a document scanner to bridge the gap between the two companies. You can export your images as PDF files........
Well, the latter was indeed Ricoh's plan with the 645D, as stated in the press release(s).

I vote for a FF MILC. Let's crush Leica
10-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Well, the latter was indeed Ricoh's plan with the 645D, as stated in the press release(s).

I vote for a FF MILC. Let's crush Leica
It could actually be that, as 'the market' in general really isn't served by Leica, so the M9 doesn't already fill that particular 'gap'.
10-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #641
Veteran Member

Full Frame! Full Frame! LOL

If Pentax-Ricoh come out with a full frame dSLR.... I am sure it will be the best in the market and I will save up for sure! FF+K5 would be an awesome combo!
+K-mount Ricoh GXR!

Lee
10-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #642
Veteran Member

Into the Gap

I was more interested in "... a shift in the firm's marketing strategy for its consumer camera range." With European managers meeting in December, we'll probably hear more around the holidays, perhaps not until 1Q 2011. I'm not sure how much warning Ricoh will give them. If I were Ricoh, I'd be careful about the amount of notice I'd give competitors - meeting notes tend to leak before too long.
10-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's obviously talking about a new body cap, something to 'plug the gap'.... <cricket, cricket>

Ok, how bout a medium format rangefinder. Does such a thing exist?

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 10-27-2011 at 09:23 AM.
10-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #644
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I was more interested in "... a shift in the firm's marketing strategy for its consumer camera range."
That's easy: a shift from going downwards to going upwards
10-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Ok, how bout a medium format rangefinder. Does such a thing exist?
Currently in 120 film:

Mamiya 7 II Pro Value Pack Medium Format Rangefinder 215-220 B&H

Fujifilm GF670 Rangefinder Folding Camera 16019089 B&H Photo